Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfrank

is there any must have software u computer people insist on having......have laptop nearly a year now and its goin grand but just want to have it fully kitted out....

thanks

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on November 18, 2010, 02:32:29 PM
Bud - Outlook Express hasnt been available for ages now - do you mean Microsoft Outlook? If so, Microsoft's workaround is:

(1) Exit Outlook if it is running.
(2) Click Start, and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box, and then press ENTER: regedit
(3)Verify that the following registry key for your version of Outlook exists. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security
If the registry key exists, go to step 5.
If the registry key does not exist, follow these steps to create it:
Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
Under Edit, click New, and then click Key.
Type Office, and then press ENTER.
For Outlook 2010, type 14.0, and then press ENTER.
Type Outlook, and then press ENTER.
Type Security, and then press ENTER.
(4) Under Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
(5) Copy and paste (or type) the following name for the new value: Level1Remove
(6) Press ENTER.
(7) Right-click the new string value name, and then click Modify.
(8) Type the file name extension of the file type that you want to open in Outlook. For example: .exe
To specify multiple file types, use the following format: .exe;.com
(9) Click OK.
(10) Exit Registry Editor.
(11) Restart your computer.

Its actually easier than it looks!

Got this sorted today. Was just about to throw the laptop out the front door.  I tried your fix and a few others. I did 'everything I was bid' as me mother would say but in the end it was resolved by downloading Google Chrome. Google Chrome seem to use this ploy to force themselves on us it seems.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

bigfrank

was that for my benefit budweiser????

Bud Wiser

Absolutely not, you are not that important that I would aim a post at just you.  The query I put up was there before you, I only got it resolved today and I thought it would be a kind idea to put the resolution to the problem there in case it helped someone else. I take it you are too smart for that and beyond needing help. Right?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

bigfrank

muppet

Quote from: bigfrank on November 25, 2010, 10:32:05 PM
Muppet!!! zzzzzz  ;D

Muppet is awake now. For the time being anyway.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Quote from: bigfrank on November 25, 2010, 06:43:33 PM
is there any must have software u computer people insist on having......have laptop nearly a year now and its goin grand but just want to have it fully kitted out....

thanks

- Free anti virus software such as AVG
- Free anti spyware software such as superantispyware
- Free photo opening, resizing software - Irfanview is my fav
- Torrent downloading app such s Utorrent
- Microsoft Office (hint, one of the apps above could help you get this at great value)
- DVD copying software - DVDfab is a good one but cost $50 dollar or see microsoft hint above
- Some would have a mp3 ripper but to be honest its quicker to download the songs most times.

blewuporstuffed

right, my laptop seems to have went up the left lately, to the stage were it no will switch on but i cant do anything, open any files/folders or start an programmes.

is there a way to restore it to factory settings, and wipe everything off it.

I have everything of value backed up anyway
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

concrete_boots

is there a quick way to get rid off unwanted/unused programs without goin throught them all individually through control panel??

Dougal

not the usual computer help but...i do a bit of cad drawing at work,and the auld lad does it full time,and he was wondering if there was a kind of a touch screen that you can connect to the computer and hand write comments on drawings.so instead of printing off a drawing,writing on it,and scanning it back on,you can just write on the pad?(i can imagine this will sound like gibberish to anyone apart from me  :))
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

RMDrive

My Maxtor External Hard Drive was dropped during the week and while it will power up, my laptop cannot read from it. I'm hoping that the data is ok.

Is it possible to connect it directly to a computer using the connector in the images below? I'm hoping to use the current power supply but bypass the PCB. Is this feasible?

Can you buy a cable that will have this connector on one end and a USB connector on the other?

Sorry about the poor quality of the images.

Cheers.

Bud Wiser

You should be able to get a docking station from maplin and a USB lead - that's if I understand what you are trying to do correctly.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=hard+drive+interface&page=2

RMDrive

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 12, 2010, 09:56:06 PM
You should be able to get a docking station from maplin and a USB lead - that's if I understand what you are trying to do correctly.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=hard+drive+interface&page=2

Thanks Bud Wiser. I'd say what I need is on Maplins all right but what is that type of connector called? SATA????

RMDrive

Mhic Easmuint

Something like this should do the job.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48965#spec
It is for usb to IDE(your drive) (supports both types) and SATA