Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on September 21, 2010, 10:46:37 AM
Quote from: gerry on September 21, 2010, 10:11:43 AM
the two usb ports on my daughters laptop are fecked, is it something i could replace myself or better get it fixed professionally.
Are they physically damaged?
Getting it fixed professionally could cost a bit.
A PCMCIA USB card could be the ticket for you if the laptop supports them:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=pcmcia+usb+slot&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dX6YTIqeOsqNjAeGwdwt&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CD4QrQQwAw

i have no slot for it.  if it was a standard pc i would give it a go but i reckon the laptop it will be a bit harder
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

me again with a problem. i have virus on my pc that i cannot get rid of.  how hard is it to reload vista as i have the disk and product key, as i think its the easiest way to get the virus of

the computer is only used for streaming onto my telly so i have nothing to backup.

this is the wee fecker

AntiSpy Safeguard

screenmachine

Try googling it Gerry and you will more than likely get a forum where someone has had the same virus to remove and normally has a step by step guide. It might take a bit of reading but it'd be handier than installing windows again i'd imagine.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

gerry

tried all that but no joy

J OGorman

Quote from: gerry on September 23, 2010, 01:53:38 PM
tried all that but no joy

Gerry, flicked back there to find this post from a wee while back..jeez, you dont have much luck with 'puters sir!

"As was mentioned before, download malwarebytes or avg onto a usb stick from a different pc / laptop. Also, download the latest definition updates for malwarebytes or avg to the memory stick. These should be available from the respective websites as a manual download.

The key then is start in safe mode and RENAME the avg or malwarebytes application afore you attempt the install. Call it anything you want as more than likely this virus / malware will block the install of all the popular av applications. By renaming you fool the hooer and it should install. Then manually update whatever application you have installed and nuke the ba$tard

Sounds a bit long winded but is worth it if you do not want to rebuild the machine

Hope this helps"

deiseach

Quote from: J OGorman on September 23, 2010, 02:54:53 PM
The key then is start in safe mode and RENAME the avg or malwarebytes application afore you attempt the install. Call it anything you want as more than likely this virus / malware will block the install of all the popular av applications. By renaming you fool the hooer and it should install. Then manually update whatever application you have installed and nuke the ba$tard

Christ, that is pure evil

gerry

Done that earlier today but malware saying nothing there and computer is clean which is a load of s.hit

Denn Forever

I hear a lot about Safe Mode but what is it?

How do I get to it as I am having problems when starting my Samsung 130 net book. It sometimes goes to Blue Screen and then flicks to a blank screen.  Can I use function keys to navigate to a mode where I can do something e.g. reseting it to its original settings.

Thanks
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ardmhachaabu

Denn, safe mode means that drivers for devices you have installed from graphics card, sound etc are not initialised when you get into windows.

Using XP you press F8 on boot to get to safe mode, not sure about other O/Ses
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

tyssam5

Quote from: gerry on September 23, 2010, 06:22:57 PM
Done that earlier today but malware saying nothing there and computer is clean which is a load of s.hit

If Malware not finding it try Spyware Doctor, it is good for those fake security viruses. Cost $30

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 26, 2010, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: gerry on September 23, 2010, 06:22:57 PM

If Malware not finding it try Spyware Doctor, it is good for those fake security viruses. Cost $30
Worst piece of advice I have seen on here yet.  There are many pieces of software which cost nothing that will do the job, just try doing a search on here or Google!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

DirtyDozen12

Big problem with my laptop, i turned it on and now the keyboard and the tocuhpad are not working at all, just no response whatsoever.  When i plug in an external mouse it works ok scrolling around but again the keyboard still doesnt work, tried reading online but such a lot of technical jargon i dont really understand.

Anyone any ideas how I could have this fixed?  Its a HP Pavilion dv9500 laptop.  Any help would be highly appreciated.  Also, seems to be taking longer than usual to load up.  I have used the on screen keyboard to type in my password and get to the dektop screen
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on October 31, 2010, 11:10:47 AM
Big problem with my laptop, i turned it on and now the keyboard and the tocuhpad are not working at all, just no response whatsoever.  When i plug in an external mouse it works ok scrolling around but again the keyboard still doesnt work, tried reading online but such a lot of technical jargon i dont really understand.

Anyone any ideas how I could have this fixed?  Its a HP Pavilion dv9500 laptop.  Any help would be highly appreciated.  Also, seems to be taking longer than usual to load up.  I have used the on screen keyboard to type in my password and get to the dektop screen

BUMP, would anyone have any idea how to rectify the above?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Mhic Easmuint

Could try reinstalling the drivers for each.
Right click on My Computer and select properties. Depending on version of Windows you might have a hardware tab with Device Manager or Device Manager will be listed.
Go into Device Manager and you will probably see Mice & Other Pointing Devices, if you click the + beside that, then right clikc on the Touchpad driver and select uninstall.
Do the same with the Keyboard. Reboot the laptop and they should reinstall themselves.
(If in the Device Manager and any items have a yellow icon with exclamation mark there is a problem with the driver)

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 01, 2010, 11:03:05 AM

Could try reinstalling the drivers for each.
Right click on My Computer and select properties. Depending on version of Windows you might have a hardware tab with Device Manager or Device Manager will be listed.
Go into Device Manager and you will probably see Mice & Other Pointing Devices, if you click the + beside that, then right clikc on the Touchpad driver and select uninstall.
Do the same with the Keyboard. Reboot the laptop and they should reinstall themselves.
(If in the Device Manager and any items have a yellow icon with exclamation mark there is a problem with the driver)

Cheers Buddy, i will try this when i get home.  There is definately an exclaimation mark on the touchpad icon and keyboard icon when you go into device manager.  I remember seeing that.  Also read online that if you take out the battery pack for a few minutes and put it back in and turn the computer on should fix the problem but that didnt work for me.