Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Minder, does it reboot or turn off?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 14, 2010, 07:25:53 PM
Minder, does it reboot or turn off?

Just turns off. I am doing the scan Amallon has instructed me to do.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

I'd do the scan anyway though I'd say it's an issue with the power supply on it if it's turning itself off
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Main Street

It's possible that the laptop is turning itself off to protect itself.
Overheating issue?
Is the fan working?  is the fan working overtime?
Spybot is intensive enough on the cpu and if there are other issues   like fan not working or years of dirt clogging  up the laptop vents/fan, the laptop can overheat and shut down.
Just my 2c worth

imtommygunn

Your fan is most likely screwed and you're turning off to protect from overheating.

Any full scan stuff uses a lot of CPU. More CPU and less fan means more heat quicker so you'll turn off sharp enough when that happens.

Main Street

imtommygunn

downgirl

Hey everyone could really use some help...spilt wine over my friend's mac last week, mopped it up and turned it upside down to get as much off as possible, was still working fine that night but the next morning it wasn't working at all (in hindsight probably should have turned it off to let it dry but you don't think of these things when you have been drinking), but later that day he tried it again and everything was fine except the keyboard wasn't working, all his documents etc were still there. 

So he brought it to an Apple store and they said that the motherboard, keyboard and other parts are unfixable and it would cost more to replace them than it would to buy a new computer (£999).

Is it worth me asking him to try bringing it to a different shop to get them to fix it?  If all the docs etc are still there would it not just be something to do with the keyboard, like would it just need to be cleaned??

Any advice appreciated as I don't want to have to fork out that amount of cash!

Puckoon

That cheeky little bottle of Chateneuf du cowp will cost you dearly it sounds like. Liquid and electronics dont mix?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: downgirl on September 16, 2010, 11:16:54 PM
Hey everyone could really use some help...spilt wine over my friend's mac last week, mopped it up and turned it upside down to get as much off as possible, was still working fine that night but the next morning it wasn't working at all (in hindsight probably should have turned it off to let it dry but you don't think of these things when you have been drinking), but later that day he tried it again and everything was fine except the keyboard wasn't working, all his documents etc were still there. 

So he brought it to an Apple store and they said that the motherboard, keyboard and other parts are unfixable and it would cost more to replace them than it would to buy a new computer (£999).

Is it worth me asking him to try bringing it to a different shop to get them to fix it?  If all the docs etc are still there would it not just be something to do with the keyboard, like would it just need to be cleaned??

Any advice appreciated as I don't want to have to fork out that amount of cash!
Contents insurance?

downgirl

I know like I dropped my phone in a pint of beer a month ago, let it dry and it works perfectly so I was hoping another miracle would happen here...

So could I put it through my contents insurance and pretend it's mine? Would the premium go up I don't know how these things work?

Main Street

The claim can surely be put it through your contents insurance, if it covers items like a laptop.
Normal enough and sensible claim to make. I don't think I could ever fully trust a friend who spilled wine over my laptop. A topic worthy of its own thread perhaps?

On a related matter, the main reason why I put the lid back on the toilet after using, is precisely that small devices can fall in there. As soon as I see a toilet - lid up, I just have a vision of all the things that can fall in there and get mutated.

screenexile

Quote from: downgirl on September 16, 2010, 11:38:20 PM
I know like I dropped my phone in a pint of beer a month ago, let it dry and it works perfectly so I was hoping another miracle would happen here...

So could I put it through my contents insurance and pretend it's mine? Would the premium go up I don't know how these things work?

You need to check that you have accidental cover.  . . if not you'll struggle!

gerry

the two usb ports on my daughters laptop are fecked, is it something i could replace myself or better get it fixed professionally.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: gerry on September 21, 2010, 10:11:43 AM
the two usb ports on my daughters laptop are fecked, is it something i could replace myself or better get it fixed professionally.
Are they physically damaged?
Getting it fixed professionally could cost a bit.
A PCMCIA USB card could be the ticket for you if the laptop supports them:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=pcmcia+usb+slot&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=dX6YTIqeOsqNjAeGwdwt&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CD4QrQQwAw