Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I really don't know how you tolerate all this malware etc activity and having to take counter measures constantly
This must be the number one reason why folk leave Windows to use Linux or Mac OS.

There is some malware deviant on my Windows partition. I don't know if it is something dormant, waking up now and again to try to do mayhem or it came just after installing and running a virus like program called Real Player to listen to RTE.
Spyware Doctor did not see much so I deleted it and tried Spybot (freeware), so far so good. I got rid of what was bugging now.
Before trying Spybot I ran a utility called 'Hijack this', it collected a rake of dubious Registry entries.

Square Ball

are any of you being hijacked, not able to go to some sites? I had a problem like that and it was difficult to locate, i found it using http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Main Street

That's called a Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Is there anything left after you use it? ;D

They should call it 'Last Man Standing' software

Square Ball

Quote from: Main Street on September 08, 2010, 10:00:04 PM
That's called a Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Is there anything left after you use it? ;D

They should call it 'Last Man Standing' software

it only looks for bad boys
I had Alureon which it found but couldnt remove, I had to use another one TDSSKiller. I had Aluren for weeks and tried all sorts of things to see what was going on, that was the only thing that found it. give it a whirl
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

illdecide

Folks tell me this if there was a chorus of a song i liked but didn't want the rest of the song what type of software would i need to take care of that and would it be available to download free of charge
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

muppet

Quote from: illdecide on September 10, 2010, 11:09:14 PM
Folks tell me this if there was a chorus of a song i liked but didn't want the rest of the song what type of software would i need to take care of that and would it be available to download free of charge

link
MWWSI 2017

illdecide

illdecide

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2010, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: illdecide on September 10, 2010, 11:09:14 PM

link

:D :D :D Serious question ya messing hoors

illdecide

muppet

Try http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I've never used it but it is free.

If you have a mac use GarageBand.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Use Audacity.  Its free and fairly self explanatory.  There are tutorials on YouTube that can help when getting started.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Once upon a time I asked for some hints on how to clean crayon scribbles off an old  TFT laptop screen.
Well I found the perfect solution, WD40.
As it says on the back of the tin, "cleans crayons off washable surfaces".
Works like a treat and leaves the screen glistening as new.

Minder

Anyone had any problems with Spybot? Anytime I run it my laptop turns off.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

amallon

How far into a scan does Spybot get before the PC crashes?  Could be corruption on your hard disk.  To sort your disk out open My Computer, right click on your hard disk (C: drive) and select properties.  Click on Tools and Click Check Now.  Tick both tick boxes and click start.  A dialog box will come up saying that the disk is in use and asking you if you want to schedule a disk check.  Say yes to schedule the disk check.  Reboot and the disk check will kick in when the PC starts to boot.  This usually takes between 40 mins to 2-3 hours.  If you disk is in really bad nick it can take much longer and once this has started you shouldn't interrupt it.   When the scan is finished windows will continue to boot to your normal desktop or login screen. 

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.