Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viiv

Quote from: bigfrank on August 16, 2010, 08:57:02 PM
so got wireless internet few months ago and set it up right away without really thinkin....its been insecure since then...and now i kinda know people are stealin it from me as i live in a housin estate :( is there a quick way of puttin a pin on it so only i can use it??? thanks

What make is your router?, I think you can access its menu through a web browser and create a password.

bigfrank

its a belkin...tried sortin it yesterday through the icon on the my computer tab....was too many options to know what to pick....it seemed like i had to get the 8 digit number from router..enter it and possible pick a password

Muzz

Just go to browser type in 192.168.1.1 (might be 192.168.2.1 for belkin)

Should bring you to a login page.  Defualt Username and Password is normally admin and password (check your manual if this doesnt work)

Once in there you will be able to see encryption and select one!

Minder

My free edition of Avast anti virus had expired so I tried to download AVG. Was told I needed to uninstall any conflicting programmes such as Avast so I did so but when I try to download AVG It still says I need to remove/uninsall Avast. Any help appreciated
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

Many AV programs are a virus in themselves.
Is AVG going to be any different?
Why not do some research and find some AV software that is user friendly, effective and does not park itself like an elephant, cluttering up your computer's performance.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Minder on September 06, 2010, 01:49:54 PM
My free edition of Avast anti virus had expired so I tried to download AVG. Was told I needed to uninstall any conflicting programmes such as Avast so I did so but when I try to download AVG It still says I need to remove/uninsall Avast. Any help appreciated
With Avast, you just needed to re-register each year to keep it free. 

Minder

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on September 06, 2010, 02:55:29 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 06, 2010, 01:49:54 PM
With Avast, you just needed to re-register each year to keep it free.

That's what I did but it was coming up in the Avast control centre yoke that it wasn't turned on. It gave a tab to click to "fix the problem" but when I did the egg timer went for about 2 seconds then nothing happened.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Billys Boots

QuoteWhy not do some research and find some AV software that is user friendly, effective and does not park itself like an elephant, cluttering up your computer's performance.

Does such an animal actually exist?  I've got rid of all AV programmes on the home computer and just installed spy-bot - it's probably madness, but I've had no issues in six months.  The AV programmes had slowed the machine down to a point where it couldn't do its job at all. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

I only use Windows (connected on line)  for watching sport on sopcast when there are no alternatives.
I forget the name of what I installed, spy something? anyway you can control the fecker and it does not slow you down that much.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 06, 2010, 03:24:14 PM
QuoteWhy not do some research and find some AV software that is user friendly, effective and does not park itself like an elephant, cluttering up your computer's performance.

Does such an animal actually exist?  I've got rid of all AV programmes on the home computer and just installed spy-bot - it's probably madness, but I've had no issues in six months.  The AV programmes had slowed the machine down to a point where it couldn't do its job at all.
Do you have a firewall?  Depending on what you do on the internet, you may be ok without anti-virus.  If you are downloading files you would be better with anti-virus for certain
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

concrete_boots

anyone know how to get around the problem with megavideo where it only alows you 2 watch 70 odd minutes and then have to wait an hour 2 continue watching???

trileacman

Firefox/Explorer keeps crashing on me when I open it. Only way I can work is when I use safe mode. Avg is picking nothing up but I think I got a virus off that p***k Aussie rules site, justfooty.com. Any idea's/help??
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: trileacman on September 07, 2010, 11:17:18 PM
Firefox/Explorer keeps crashing on me when I open it. Only way I can work is when I use safe mode. Avg is picking nothing up but I think I got a virus off that p***k Aussie rules site, justfooty.com. Any idea's/help??

Try the free version of this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Great tool.

anportmorforjfc

Computer keeps not responding for about 5 seconds every 10 minutes maybe. Anyone know why this could be? Scanned by computer with avast and there is no virus :-\

J OGorman

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on September 08, 2010, 10:20:18 AM
Computer keeps not responding for about 5 seconds every 10 minutes maybe. Anyone know why this could be? Scanned by computer with avast and there is no virus :-\

as mhic easmuint says above, download malwarebytes and scan.

also hit control alt del and go into 'task manager', slect the 'processes tab'..click the 'CPU' headed column once and see what processes are using all yer power lad