Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Square Ball on July 31, 2010, 12:40:57 PM
tell me this, has anyone received any calls from some firm stating they are an authorised Windows operating system company and are wanting to know about your computer? I have got a few, got one this morning and this fella asked me how long it took my computer to boot up, I told him it was hard to say, but its an oldish computer so would be slower than newer ones, he then replied very ignorantly I didn't ask that, please answer the question Mr Ball, I hung up.

But did anyone get any calls, seems its about a file or something like that
You're worse than my ma, why would you speak to someone who cold calls you like that?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerrykeegan

tell me this, has anyone received any calls from some firm stating they are an authorised Windows operating system company and are wanting to know about your computer? I have got a few, got one this morning and this fella asked me how long it took my computer to boot up, I told him it was hard to say, but its an oldish computer so would be slower than newer ones, he then replied very ignorantly I didn't ask that, please answer the question Mr Ball, I hung up.

I had problems with Windows 7 and always took the option to send an error report, I did get a call like the one you mentioned and for a while I thought it genuine and because of my problems. I got suspicious and hung up
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Square Ball

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 31, 2010, 03:06:22 PM

You're worse than my ma, why would you speak to someone who cold calls you like that?

i had a hangover and haddnt got an idea what was going on, and i couldnt understand him
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

theres a surprize, the entire thing was a scam. gonna see what happens the next time they call
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

tyrone86

Can some of you do me a favour and see if you can access the windows update site -  I haven't been able to access it for a couple of days. Even stranger - the connection to the server keeps reseting when I attempt to post the address as a URL in this post

Hereiam

Its working fine. You have a VIRUS/SPYWARE on your computer that is blocking access to windows update. Had this a while back took me awhile to get rid off the little bastard. Perform a full scan using ur anti virus software

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 05, 2010, 04:03:45 PM
Can some of you do me a favour and see if you can access the windows update site -  I haven't been able to access it for a couple of days. Even stranger - the connection to the server keeps reseting when I attempt to post the address as a URL in this post
There are any number of reasons why you wouldn't be able to access it from your ISP's bandwidth, your own bandwidth, the various routers your ISP uses, spyware/malware on your system and that's just some of them

Can you hit anti-virus sites?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

tyrone86

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 05, 2010, 05:42:46 PM
There are any number of reasons why you wouldn't be able to access it from your ISP's bandwidth, your own bandwidth, the various routers your ISP uses, spyware/malware on your system and that's just some of them

The anti-virus sites seem to be working ok - I'm using AVG and it still picks up the occasional virus. However I ran LiveOne scan and it found 9 threats that it couldn't remove.There are other problems that I wasn't having previously and I'm wondering are they related? I can't access my firewall settings in Control Panel and I keep getting the 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close' on a very regular basis and it freezes the system.

I reckon the whole thing is stemming from the virus I got a month ago and I'm going to have to go down the Hardy route of a re-format and re-build to solve the issue - only problem is god knows where the XP CD is at this stage.

I still think its really weird that if I try to put the correct Windows Update URL into this reply it won't let me post it, but as soon as I take it out the message goes no bother.

Muzz

Download Malwarebytes and give it a run.  See what it finds and remove.  Its probably one of the best free programs out there.

tyrone86

Got it sorted eventually with a Microsoft malicious software thing - killed 1 dll file and sorted it out - unreal

ardmhachaabu

My toddler has had a fever this past few days, sorry I didn't get back to you.  Glad it's sorted.  Did the malicious software tool tell you what you were infected with?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

FL/MAYO

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 06, 2010, 01:08:35 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 05, 2010, 05:42:46 PM

The anti-virus sites seem to be working ok - I'm using AVG and it still picks up the occasional virus. However I ran LiveOne scan and it found 9 threats that it couldn't remove.There are other problems that I wasn't having previously and I'm wondering are they related? I can't access my firewall settings in Control Panel and I keep getting the 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close' on a very regular basis and it freezes the system.

I reckon the whole thing is stemming from the virus I got a month ago and I'm going to have to go down the Hardy route of a re-format and re-build to solve the issue - only problem is god knows where the XP CD is at this stage.

I still think its really weird that if I try to put the correct Windows Update URL into this reply it won't let me post it, but as soon as I take it out the message goes no bother.

I am having the same problem, I cannot access Microsoft update page, I cannot do a system restore and I keep losing my wireless connection, can you post where you found the "Microsoft malicious software thing" or a link..Thanks

illdecide

The laptop is acting up again lads (going slow etc) so i remember you guys talking about Malwarebytes so i downloaded a version of the internet and ran a scan, it found loads of errors but i needed to purchase it for it to remove the corrupt/damaged files.

I then tried another programme and exact same situation...blah blah it wanted money to fix the problems. I'm sure you IT or Computer guys could supply me a link that will fix the problems for free ;) the old funds are low guys :(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Mhic Easmuint

Malwarebytes is free
Download the free version: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

bigfrank

so got wireless internet few months ago and set it up right away without really thinkin....its been insecure since then...and now i kinda know people are stealin it from me as i live in a housin estate :( is there a quick way of puttin a pin on it so only i can use it??? thanks