Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

hope i have more luck then you gerry!

i got a new lap top and want to hook up to the net at home where i have wireless broadband. anyone know how i find the security code (about 15 characters) for my own wifi?

gerrykeegan

If you are down south and it eircom, then it is on the bottom of  your router, thought it was more than 15 characters
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: gerry on July 25, 2010, 01:30:19 PM
hopefully this is a easy one,  how do add a second computer using a ethernet cablle to my bt hub.  currently i have one pc connected using a ethernet cable and i want to add another via the second slot on my hub.
Does the second computer have a network card?  If not, get one, install the drivers for it, then install it physically and connect with network cable
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

imtommygunn

Should be trivial Gerry and just a plug and play job as long as you have the network card (which most things do these days anyway) and the cable.

magickingdom

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 27, 2010, 07:21:47 PM
If you are down south and it eircom, then it is on the bottom of  your router, thought it was more than 15 characters

ta, found it...

Doogie Browser

Does anyone know how to save a Microsoft publisher file as a pdf?

aontroim

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 28, 2010, 11:58:58 AM

On my version (Publisher 2007) if you click on the File menu, one of the options is 'Publish as PDF or XPS'

Doogie Browser

Quote from: aontroim on July 28, 2010, 12:35:28 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 28, 2010, 11:58:58 AM

On my version (Publisher 2007) if you click on the File menu, one of the options is 'Publish as PDF or XPS'
Cheers, using 2003 so will have a gleek.

Dougal

just got a new computer,used to have xp and now have 7.whats the story with outlook express?its not compatible with 7.is this the end of my email address?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

amallon

Outlook Express has been replaced by Windows Mail on Windows 7.  You will be able to setup your old email address in Windows Mail.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Hardy

Just did it today on my new laptop. You can import your Outlook Express accounts, contacts and email folders. Just Google "import Outlook Express to Windows Live Email". Doesn't affect your email address at all.

gerry

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 27, 2010, 08:27:07 PM
hopefully this is a easy one,  how do add a second computer using a ethernet cablle to my bt hub.  currently i have one pc connected using a ethernet cable and i want to add another via the second slot on my hub.
Does the second computer have a network card?  If not, get one, install the drivers for it, then install it physically and connect with network cable

fecking hoor has me beat, googled it to death and still no joy
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Does anyone know why when I turn on the laptop refuses to connect to the wireless broadband - it says something about some time out.  If I turn off the router and turn it back on the laptop connects without a problem.  It has done it every day this week but may not do it now for another month.

There's no problem with the broadband - I've checked connecting the DS during these down times and there's no issue.

It's doing my f**king head in.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

J OGorman

Quote from: gerry on July 29, 2010, 01:52:53 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 27, 2010, 08:27:07 PM

fecking hoor has me beat, googled it to death and still no joy

Gerry,
does your 2nd computer have a slot that an ethernet cable will connect into?
is it a BT homehub or an older voyager? model number if possible

J OGorman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 29, 2010, 08:10:19 AM
Does anyone know why when I turn on the laptop refuses to connect to the wireless broadband - it says something about some time out.  If I turn off the router and turn it back on the laptop connects without a problem.  It has done it every day this week but may not do it now for another month.

There's no problem with the broadband - I've checked connecting the DS during these down times and there's no issue.

It's doing my f**king head in.

pints, sounds like a 'channel' issue if its initially connecting and then dropping out.

try changing the wireless channel on the router. to do so,

if you have a network cable, connect the laptop to the router to avoid it dropping mid fix

open internet explorer and type in the IP address of the router eg http://192.169.1.254 (if you dont know the IP of the router, click start --> run --> type in cmd and press OK. Type ipconfig in the command window. The Gateway IP is the router ip)

type in the username and password to enter the interface of the router (should be on the documents that came with the router, if not, tell me the make and model and i will send you there default credentials). Go to the wireless section of the menu where you should find the 'channel' bit. By default the channel is usually set to 'auto'. Change it to 7 or 8 and save changes.

test is wirelessly, if it bombs out, try another channel..should hopefully do the trick sir