Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

so it was formatting for about 14 hours and then it said it was too big to format to fat32.

and I can't get that swissknife thing to work, download and install it and it won't open - getting message about there being a problem and windows will close it blah blah blah
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thebigfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 20, 2010, 01:14:18 PM
so it was formatting for about 14 hours and then it said it was too big to format to fat32.

and I can't get that swissknife thing to work, download and install it and it won't open - getting message about there being a problem and windows will close it blah blah blah

If you using windows to format it, I think it imposes a limit on the size of a FAT32 drive you can format. You may need to get a third party utility to do it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: thebigfella on March 20, 2010, 01:27:30 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 20, 2010, 01:14:18 PM

If you using windows to format it, I think it imposes a limit on the size of a FAT32 drive you can format. You may need to get a third party utility to do it.

I have a 500gb drive formatted to FAT32....

Main Street

How did you format it then?

Life is a lot simpler in Mac Os,  even Windows fat32 formating is a one click formality for drives and partitions greater  than 32gb in size
You have my sympathy.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Main Street on March 20, 2010, 01:52:59 PM
How did you format it then?

Life is a lot simpler in Mac Os,  even Windows fat32 formating is a one click formality for drives and partitions greater  than 32gb in size
You have my sympathy.
It was an option when I went to format it - FAT32 or that NT one. Now all I get is that NT one and exfat.

It's not that big of deal, I've the 500gb one that I can connect to the xbox and watch downloads on the tv, I can put stuff I dont watch that often on to the new one and store it there but it would be handy to be able to use them both through the xbox.

Mhic Easmuint

What make/model of external hard drive is it? May be tools on the manufacturers website to allow you to format to FAT

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on March 21, 2010, 11:57:19 AM
What make/model of external hard drive is it? May be tools on the manufacturers website to allow you to format to FAT

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6758624/Trail/searchtext%3EHARDDRIVE.htm

It's that one.

I'll look later when my patience builds up again. 

pintsofguinness

Yeess!!! It works! Amazing, and all it took was a restart! To think I let it sit for 14 hours....

Anyway, thank you very much mhic!

flantheman82

I posted this on the xbox thread but am posting here again in case somebody who can help me doesn't have an interest in xboxes.
Hey there,
being a member of the hard of hearing community, I have become reliant on the use of subtitles when watching movies.
I have some movies in avi file in hd quality on a memory stick that i also have the subtitle (.srt) file for.
I can watch the movies on my laptop with the subtitles but would love to be able to make use of the hd by watching it through the xbox. However, it doesn't seem to recognise the subtitle file.
Can anyone shed any light on how to rectify this or even suggest how i can hardwrite the subtitles into the movie without losing any quality.
thanks,

Bensars

Have you already performed the software upgrade to alow you to play avi. files etc on the xbox yet ?

flantheman82

yeah, I can watch the movie ok. and if the file was smaller, i could put it onto my dvd player which has the usb drive on it which does recognise the subtitle files.
its just that the file is in HD so i'd like to watch it through the xbox but cant for the life of me get the xbox to recognise the subtitle file.

Bensars

Donagh would be your man here.  Some say hes like the stig, he could be around the board in another guise.

flantheman82

thanks bensars.
how would i get in touch with donagh? is he an uncontactable? do i wait til he finds me?

Main Street

do you wait til he finds you?

Not many happy stories happen after Donagh finds you.
I hope you are not of a nervous disposition.