Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Dougal on March 18, 2010, 09:12:35 PM
I tried restarting it.i would have thought the fone shouldnt work either,but it is.could there be a problem with the filter?
Phone can work and internet can still be on the blink.
Smells like a provider issue as Pints wrote.

Dougal

yup,problem was the filter,i bypassed it and im back up and running...no phone though but im not too bothered.and to top it all off,my keyboard just went dead.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

ludermor

With the talk lately of virus and trojans etc what is the best anti virus packages out there ( and are the free ones ok?)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ludermor on March 18, 2010, 09:42:35 PM
With the talk lately of virus and trojans etc what is the best anti virus packages out there ( and are the free ones ok?)

avgfree is grand and is free. Norton is often bandied about as being the best but it is a total hog and will slow your pc down.

Bensars

Not true anymore. The New norton packages are much more streamlined and bear no comparison to the norton products of the past. In no way a hog of sytem resources it once was.

tbrick18

I find avg slows the system down too, particularly when running scans.
One I have been using is called avast.
It's very good.

Denn Forever

I use McAfee and it grand but not free.

I note of caution about Registry Boosters and Speedupmypc.  I don't know alot about computers so I tried the free versions of these and they showed up a lot of problems/issues.  Not knowing much I went oh fiddle sticks and thought I should get the full versions.  Resolved all the problems it highlighted.  But it messed up my virus protection.  So it had to go.

Also installed it on the laptop I use periodically.  Messed this up bigtime resulting in the bluescreen with the error message

hive (file) :\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE cannot load this file.

Is this terminal or can it be resolved?  Remember my standard is computers for dummies.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tbrick18

This indicates a corrupt registry.
Note easy fixed (and indeed might not be fixable at all) unless you know what you're doing.
Easiest option would be to re-install your operating system from your system discs.

pintsofguinness

I need to format an external drive to FAT32 - it will only give me the options to format to exfat or ntssomething32

Is there anyway to get it to FAT32? (so the xbox will pick it up)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 19, 2010, 08:20:29 PM
I need to format an external drive to FAT32 - it will only give me the options to format to exfat or ntssomething32

and I was f**king around with it and now the computer won't even pick it up!

ardmhachaabu

First things first, try it in a different USB port.

When windows picks it up again, open my computer, right click on the drive, go to 'format', change the 'file system' to FAT32 and click Start
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 19, 2010, 09:05:43 PM

It can be done in DOS for disks over 32GB.
I done it with one before. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

You need to know the drive letter though for the DOS.
It's not displaying in my computer now?

If you right click on My Computer and select Manage does it display it there under disk management?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on March 19, 2010, 09:12:14 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 19, 2010, 09:05:43 PM

It can be done in DOS for disks over 32GB.
I done it with one before. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

You need to know the drive letter though for the DOS.
It's not displaying in my computer now?

If you right click on My Computer and select Manage does it display it there under disk management?

No mhic it's not there but it's appearing in device manager under disk drives - how do I get it back?

pintsofguinness

actually it's showing there under "disk 1" but it doesnt have an icon at the top if you know what I mean

Mhic Easmuint

does it have a latter assigned to it under disk 1? e.g. (e:)