Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

trying to connect my laptop to 32 in tv.  when i do this i get "no signal through pc" message.

what am i doing wrong
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

FL/MAYO

Quote from: gerry on March 06, 2010, 05:14:10 PM
trying to connect my laptop to 32 in tv.  when i do this i get "no signal through pc" message.

what am i doing wrong
Gerry this is how I get it working,

Right click on  desktop, click properties, click settings,click on the #2,click on the box that says extend my windows desktop onto this monitor,click OK on the bottom, your desktop picture should appear on the TV screen, drag the screen you want to use from the laptop over to your TV screen (click the box with the 2 screens on the top right hand corner of your laptop before you drag the screen over)

flantheman82

Hi, just wanted some advice on external hard drives.
Was wanting to buy one to have a back up of movies, photos, music, etc and also to free up room on the laptop.
At the minute i can connect a normal 8GB memory stick to my dvd player and play movies. Will it be the same for one of those external hard drives?
Also, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy one and what size should i be looking at?

Main Street

Quote from: flantheman82 on March 16, 2010, 09:12:34 AM
Was wanting to buy one to have a back up of movies, photos, music, etc and also to free up room on the laptop.
At the minute i can connect a normal 8GB memory stick to my dvd player and play movies. Will it be the same for one of those external hard drives?
Not the same, but similar.

QuoteAlso, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy one and what size should i be looking at?
Depends where you live, buying in a shop? buying online?

You have a basic choice between usb powered external drives (- more portable -  but a bit more expensive)
and an external powered ext. hard drive  ( cheaper, less portable).

flantheman82

Live in Belfast and not too bothered as to where I buy it. Not too bothered about whether it is USB powered or not as I don't really need it to be portable as such.

Main Street

Then buy an external powered one.
Get a brand name, Seagate, WD, Lacie etc.
If you have a lot of movies or plan to, get at least a 1TB

pintsofguinness

So I had to get set up with virgin media again - after they disconnected me for no reason - so I've got a new router and it went on today but when I try to connect under the network it says "the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements for the network"

How do I fix this? I really really really don't want to ring them!

So I got that sorted, some how.  But now it's not letting me connect because I have the password wrong but it's the password they give me. Can I set up a new password myself without having to ring the silly c***ts.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Dougal

Lads can ne f ya help?cant connect 2 the internet.on the modem or router or whatever you call it,the ethernet and wireless lights are on,and dsl light flashing,no internet light though.comp says it's connected.ive turned it on and off and reset it with no progress.weathers quite bad at the min but never had problems before,mite it be the problem?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 18, 2010, 06:51:37 PM
So I had to get set up with virgin media again - after they disconnected me for no reason - so I've got a new router and it went on today but when I try to connect under the network it says "the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements for the network"

How do I fix this? I really really really don't want to ring them!

So I got that sorted, some how.  But now it's not letting me connect because I have the password wrong but it's the password they give me. Can I set up a new password myself without having to ring the silly c***ts.

All sorted, all by myself - amazing what turning on and off things can do!

imtommygunn

Dougal - can you connect directly with your ethernet? i.e. plug your laptop into modem via ethernet cable rather than rely on wireless?

Could be your computer or your actual connection...

If ethernet works then potentially your wireless on your computer is shot.

Can you view available wireless networks and is yours one of them?

Dougal

Sorry,im not using wireless,the lights jst on.i am conected straight to the computer.

Main Street

Quote from: Dougal on March 18, 2010, 07:46:19 PM
Lads can ne f ya help?cant connect 2 the internet.on the modem or router or whatever you call it,the ethernet and wireless lights are on,and dsl light flashing,no internet light though.comp says it's connected.ive turned it on and off and reset it with no progress.weathers quite bad at the min but never had problems before,mite it be the problem?
If the internet light is not illuminated  on the  modem, then that is the problem. It means you have to internet signal to pass onto the computer.
The computer will still say it is connected to the modem.
Try (the Pints shot in the dark trick) restart your modem.
If you still have no internet light, contact your provider.

Dougal

I tried restarting it.i would have thought the fone shouldnt work either,but it is.could there be a problem with the filter?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Dougal on March 18, 2010, 09:12:35 PM
I tried restarting it.i would have thought the fone shouldnt work either,but it is.could there be a problem with the filter?
Ring the ISP - I had that on mine, with virgin (c***ts)  a few months back and rang them and I'd to go and make changes to all these settings to get it back again.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on March 18, 2010, 09:12:35 PM

Was it working before or is this a new connection. Did you recently install any new wireless stuff in your house of late? Who is your isp?