Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 03, 2010, 10:44:10 PM
Check Temporary Internet Files folders, there are usually a few of those folders and also check wherever your temporary directory is, usually c:\temp or c:\tmp or something like that

Make sure when you are searching that you are searching for hidden and system files as well - if not sure open up my computer, go to 'tools' then 'folder options', click on view tab, scroll down and select 'show hidden files and folders' and also 'hide protected operating system files' - you can just reverse that afterwards
Thank you! Sorted.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Duine Eile on February 09, 2010, 05:15:54 PM

Have a printer problem, driving me bananas now! I had 2 HP printers installed on my laptop but both have completely disappeared, when I go to add printer this message pops up, "windows cannot open add printer, the local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." what the hell does that mean? I've restarted peinter and computer but makes no difference.

Try and download the drivers from the net, install them and plug in your printer. Ignore the add printer thing. Possibly it won't work but at least rule it out 1st.

After that try this.

Right click on My Computer, go to manage, down left hand side click on services. Now scroll down till you find Print Spooler. Double click and select start if it is not on.

Duine Eile

I tried downloading the drivers before but that didn't work. :-\  Found print spooler in My Computer and clicked start but get the message  "windows could not start the Spooler service on local computer. Error 1053:The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." Any other suggestions, I'm tearing my hair out here! :'(

Edit: was messing with command prompts and something seems to have worked, hopefully that'll solve my problem. Thanks for your help Myles!

ardmhachaabu

Duine Eile, assuming you are running windows xp, try using a known good system restore point

If that problem continues, potentially you are looking at a hardware error, it would be hard to pin-point what's wrong unless you start replacing components until something actually fails and then it's a lot easier.  If you have any spare compatible RAM for the machine, I would try replacing the RAM first as bad RAM can do weird things
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Duine Eile

No using Vista. Got a new laptop a while back and the printers were working fine but just disappeared off it. Seems to be working ok for now anyway so hopefully that's the end of it.

BenDover

The mother in law to be has an "old" computer and has just got talktalk broadband into the house but the modem they sent doesn't fit into the back of the PC tower. Are you able to get modem's that have mix and match ends i.e. one with the broadband connection and the other with dial-up (i'm not sure if this is right)? Or is the computer that old its no longer any good?

Mhic Easmuint

The computer needs an ethernet port I imagine.
You can get a usb ethernet adaptor which would probably do the job. 

Something like: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=46792
Or
http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-usb-to-ethernet-network-adapte-5JSH.html?q=usb%20ethernet%20adaptor

Sandy Hill

Sometimes (quite often) when I'm playing a Youtube video it starts and stops; anyone help?
"Stercus accidit"

Mhic Easmuint

It's just simply not downloading quick enough.  Are you watching it at the lowest quality.
Is your broadband connection slow?

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Sandy Hill

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 25, 2010, 10:04:40 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on February 25, 2010, 09:58:01 PM

Sometimes (quite often) when I'm playing a Youtube video it starts and stops; anyone help?
http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

Thanks Ardmhachaabu; I downloaded this but the problem's still there!?
"Stercus accidit"

ardmhachaabu

There are too many things that it could be Sandy to say anything one way or the other.  It could be a piece of hardware malfunctioning - maybe the RAM, maybe the soundcard, if you have onboard sound it could be the motherboard, it could be the hard drive.  On the other hand, it could be a software issue - you might have an old driver installed, windows may have spyware on it

There's definitely something going on with your system though if the software I gave the link to didn't solve the problem.  You did install it and download the youtube videos to your machine, right?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on February 25, 2010, 10:01:25 PM
It's just simply not downloading quick enough.  Are you watching it at the lowest quality.
I too think that this could well be the problem. To see if it is, Sandy might try playing a video from another site to see if the problem persists. It definitely sound like a buffering problem, doesn't it?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

For a general download speed test  you can check your general broadband speed on this site
http://www.speedtest.net/

Restarting the modem sometimes helps.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 26, 2010, 11:27:59 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on February 25, 2010, 10:01:25 PM
I too think that this could well be the problem. To see if it is, Sandy might try playing a video from another site to see if the problem persists. It definitely sound like a buffering problem, doesn't it?
It's nothing to do with his connection if he installed the software I linked to.