Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 22, 2010, 07:04:06 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 22, 2010, 04:31:42 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 22, 2010, 03:31:46 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 22, 2010, 03:27:36 PM
I am not too sure if my computer is on the blink, or the monitor. Is it possible to hook a lap top up to the computer to use the laptop screen as a proxy?

Yes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2180599_hook-up-laptop-external-monitor.html

Thanks Zig.
I think she's cooked. Sometimes it'll boot up so far, others it'll fully load and you can use it but the PC then freezes up, and won't let you do anything at all.

Any ideas>

She could be overheating. Suggest you open it up and check the fans are blowing, clean out dust and make sure the vents on the pc are not blocked up. Sometimes in Bios you can check temperatures of your processor too.

The fan thingy is a possability. I think I'll open it tomorrow, and check it out.

I haven't a clue about checking for errors, or bios or things like that! Sorry!

When it does the windows disc check it reports a few errors, but it's errors that has been there for a while. Don't think they are anything serious. Hopefully.

Thanks as usual gents.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

pintsofguinness

If it's dust blocking the fan get a can of compressed air. 

My old laptop was shutting itself down a couple of years ago, overheating, I got a can of that stuff, put it in at the fan and blew the f**k out of it.  The fan made a zooooooom noise and a load of dust hit me in the face.  Never a problem with the fan again.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 22, 2010, 08:49:59 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 22, 2010, 07:04:06 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 22, 2010, 04:31:42 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 22, 2010, 03:31:46 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 22, 2010, 03:27:36 PM
I am not too sure if my computer is on the blink, or the monitor. Is it possible to hook a lap top up to the computer to use the laptop screen as a proxy?

Yes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2180599_hook-up-laptop-external-monitor.html

Thanks Zig.
I think she's cooked. Sometimes it'll boot up so far, others it'll fully load and you can use it but the PC then freezes up, and won't let you do anything at all.

Any ideas>

She could be overheating. Suggest you open it up and check the fans are blowing, clean out dust and make sure the vents on the pc are not blocked up. Sometimes in Bios you can check temperatures of your processor too.

The fan thingy is a possability. I think I'll open it tomorrow, and check it out.

I haven't a clue about checking for errors, or bios or things like that! Sorry!

When it does the windows disc check it reports a few errors, but it's errors that has been there for a while. Don't think they are anything serious. Hopefully.

Thanks as usual gents.

It is the most likely problem cos your system is shutting down at different times or booting at all. Pints is right, blow the shite out of the fan and check the wires back to the power supply.

ardmhachaabu

Norf, are there any slots at the back of the PC which are empty?  What I mean is, can you see any part of the PCs insides from the back of it?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 22, 2010, 10:32:21 PM
Norf, are there any slots at the back of the PC which are empty?  What I mean is, can you see any part of the PCs insides from the back of it?

Not really. I can take the casing off easilly enough though, as it has been off once or twice in the past.
This may sound silly.... would a hoover help it??   :-[
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ardmhachaabu

If it's a dust problem, you would be better with a tin of compressed air to blow it out of it
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Orior

Anyone know the difference between BO Enterprise and Crystal Reports Server?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Treasurer

My laptop has a firewire connection - much smaller slot than the pc firewire card.  I need to get a cable online and am not having any luck - anyone know the correct term for such a cable?

Mhic Easmuint

Treasurer

Think that's it alright Mhic, thanks!  Don't know why I wasn't finding it.

pintsofguinness

I'm trying to download and install openoffice from download.com but when it downloads it just disappears from the download queue so I can't open it to install.  Where does it go?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 03, 2010, 10:25:22 PM
I'm trying to download and install openoffice from download.com but when it downloads it just disappears from the download queue so I can't open it to install.  Where does it go?
Check My documents/downloads or just do a search for it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 03, 2010, 10:26:53 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 03, 2010, 10:25:22 PM
Check My documents/downloads or just do a search for it.
I did, it's no where to be found.

ardmhachaabu

Check Temporary Internet Files folders, there are usually a few of those folders and also check wherever your temporary directory is, usually c:\temp or c:\tmp or something like that

Make sure when you are searching that you are searching for hidden and system files as well - if not sure open up my computer, go to 'tools' then 'folder options', click on view tab, scroll down and select 'show hidden files and folders' and also 'hide protected operating system files' - you can just reverse that afterwards

Duine Eile

Have a printer problem, driving me bananas now! I had 2 HP printers installed on my laptop but both have completely disappeared, when I go to add printer this message pops up, "windows cannot open add printer, the local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." what the hell does that mean? I've restarted peinter and computer but makes no difference.