Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Have you googled for instructions for the particular model?

I've not used one however in theory I guess what you do is plug ethernet into router. You should then be able to see in admin what IPs are connected to router (should be 192.168.0.x) and you could connect via that. Not sure about authentication but I guess that you should be given a password with it.(Do start > run and enter \\<IP>

All in theory mind - going to buy one of these yokes sometime so let us know how you get on.

<Edit>
Also there will potentially be a HTML page for it so try http://<IP> in browser too.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on December 03, 2009, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 03, 2009, 07:13:31 PM
I want to hook my laptop up to the TV, which is striaght forward. However is it possible to keep the screen on my laptop active while the TV one is on as well.

Someone said it's called mirroring a desktop, but not sure much about it.

Thanks.

Yep should be possible alright.  You would need to change the output of the laptop.  On my hp laptop I have to press the fn+F4 key to change it.  It has 3 cycles, display laptop only, display tv only or display on both. 
Or if you go into your display settings you could have the tv as an extended monitor as if it was sitting beside your monitor and be able to drag items from the left of your laptop screen onto the right of your tv.

Deadly. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

LeoMc

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 03, 2009, 08:35:08 PM
Have you googled for instructions for the particular model?

I've not used one however in theory I guess what you do is plug ethernet into router. You should then be able to see in admin what IPs are connected to router (should be 192.168.0.x) and you could connect via that. Not sure about authentication but I guess that you should be given a password with it.(Do start > run and enter \\<IP>

All in theory mind - going to buy one of these yokes sometime so let us know how you get on.

<Edit>
Also there will potentially be a HTML page for it so try http://<IP> in browser too.

HAve it plugged into Router with an Ethernet cable. From what I can make out of the instructions you set up via a 192.168.XX web page (http://nas) but this one seems to hang up or freeze during set-up and I end up re-setting.
Not sure if I need to be doing something with the Computer settings regarding networks.

imtommygunn

Do you know the IP address?

If you go in and run cmd can you ping the address? (Type ping <IP> in and the result should be readable). This will test if your NAS server is "network capable".

If the above is ok then to run the HTML stuff it'd need to run it's own web server - maybe something has went wrong there.

If you can ping the IP then your web server is the problem. You could still maybe log in via samba. (using the run method I talked about before) and do something from there. Not sure of the interfaces...

tyronefan

need a bit of help with my laptop

the touch pad mouse is messing about   

it is hopping all over the screen, when i try to point onto something it will jump across the screen  then it jumps about all over the screen by itself

any ideas

illdecide

Folks whilst watching a match yesterday on the Laptop i sort of cracked with the Laptop for going slow and f**king about so i hit a few buttons in a temper and slammed the lid down hard. after i calmed down i tried to turn it on again and that wasn't going to happen. The laptop looks as if its about to boot up normally as it shows the "Windows XP" start up screen but within a few seconds it then goes to the following page:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or is automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose "Start Windows Normally":

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use your up and down arrows keys to move the highlighter to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 15
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

TheGreatRambo

And did you try any of these options??

illdecide

Quote from: TheGreatRambo on December 21, 2009, 11:01:38 AM
And did you try any of these options??

Yes, i tried them all. It throws up the Windows XP page and I think it's going to start and then it goes back to that page with those list of options. I thought starting it in the safe mode would have worked but no.

I really need to get family photos of it as thats the only important stuff i have on it...

TheGreatRambo

If none of the options work, its possible you have cracked the hard drive or unseated it at the very least. On the bottom of the laptop you can probably screw it out and put it back on. See if that works. I'm sure ur photos can be salvaged even if machine can't

illdecide

Quote from: TheGreatRambo on December 21, 2009, 11:15:02 AM
If none of the options work, its possible you have cracked the hard drive or unseated it at the very least. On the bottom of the laptop you can probably screw it out and put it back on. See if that works. I'm sure ur photos can be salvaged even if machine can't

Cheers, i'll have a go at it during lunchtime although i bet there are special screwdrivers needed to do this

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: illdecide on December 21, 2009, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: TheGreatRambo on December 21, 2009, 11:15:02 AM

Cheers, i'll have a go at it during lunchtime although i bet there are special screwdrivers needed to do this

Or a chkdsk /f /r from Windows Recovery Console might do the trick.
Windows Recovery Console might be installed, or you would needs a Windows Disk.

mylestheslasher

Did you try thumping it again :D

Don't panic anyhow. There is a yoke you can get that will let you plug the laptop into a normal pc. I also have some software that will boot up a version of windows from a disc and will let you look around your pc harddrive and save stuff onto a usb key.

Start by having a look at your HD and see if connections came loose. Also, get some anger management classes.

Main Street

Not healthy to react to your laptop's shortcomings as if it were a female.

illdecide

Quote from: Main Street on December 21, 2009, 02:30:58 PM

I know lads...i have to say i've a bit of a short fuse and i should'nt react like that but as i've got older i thought i'd calmed down a bit considering when i was younger i've replaced windscreens, stud walls, internal doors and the odd light switch but that bastid laptop was getting on my nerves and when Hearts scored against Celtic i just cracked like an egg (you'd think i'd have got used to teams beating Celtic...lol)

Sandy Hill

Quote from: illdecide on December 21, 2009, 03:23:45 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 21, 2009, 02:30:58 PM

I know lads...i have to say i've a bit of a short fuse and i should'nt react like that but as i've got older i thought i'd calmed down a bit considering when i was younger i've replaced windscreens, stud walls, internal doors and the odd light switch but that bastid laptop was getting on my nerves and when Hearts scored against Celtic i just cracked like an egg (you'd think i'd have got used to teams beating Celtic...lol)

Large dose of valium needed!!
"Stercus accidit"