Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kumquat

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 12, 2009, 02:46:02 PM
Quote from: kumquat on November 12, 2009, 02:36:01 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 12, 2009, 02:26:06 PM
Quote from: kumquat on November 12, 2009, 02:13:59 PM
Here lads, my download speed is very slow, and the wireless connection to the ps3 keeps quitting. But i can still browse the web on my pc. Is there any way of finding out if the problem is my router or the bt line?

(sky broadband by the way)

Have you got filters on all the phone sockets in the house, including any for sky tv etc?

yes there is a filter at the telephone point, it worked fine for ages then just slowed down to feck all. (plus ive just bought Modern warfare 2 n i cant get online)

Yep could well be a Port issue then as Rafa said. 
You would need to configure your router to open the ports to the ipaddress that the Playstation has picked up.
Or you could put the playstation IP in the DMZ of the router which takes it away from all firewalls.   

thanks lads

yeah could try that, but will that help my download speed on the pc?
can i try another router on my pc? ive tried my laptop connected to it and the download speed is the same (i have to leave it overnight to download iphone update that should take 10mins to download normally) so i think its either the phone line or the router  ??? ???
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Mhic Easmuint

Do you have any additional torrent software running or possible infections?

Sometimes when I have torrent software running, the general internet browsing etc would be slow.

Is the internet as slow in safe mode with networking?

kumquat

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 12, 2009, 03:06:06 PM
Do you have any additional torrent software running or possible infections?

Sometimes when I have torrent software running, the general internet browsing etc would be slow.

Is the internet as slow in safe mode with networking?

i dont have torrent software on my pc. i havnt tried it in safe mode but will when i get home. Is it difficult to try a different router?

Mhic Easmuint

Have you got another router?  No its easy set up. Just need your browdband username and password.

kumquat

cheers ill try that when i get home, if the download speed is still shite is it a problem with the phone line then?

Tony Baloney

I have a 7 year old laptop which now runs like a dog due to all the crap on it and has a battery shot to hell. It is used for simple stuff like word, excel etc. In light of this would I be better reformatting and maybe upgrading a bit?

The missus reckons a new one would be better but for all it is used for I couldn't justify the outlay of even a few hundred quid. What yis reckon?

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 12, 2009, 03:40:36 PM
I have a 7 year old laptop which now runs like a dog due to all the crap on it and has a battery shot to hell. It is used for simple stuff like word, excel etc. In light of this would I be better reformatting and maybe upgrading a bit?

The missus reckons a new one would be better but for all it is used for I couldn't justify the outlay of even a few hundred quid. What yis reckon?

How much RAM does it have?  If it is low some more would help alot. 
You could try a few things before reformatting:
1. Start>Run>type in msconfig and remove unneeded items from the Start Up Menu that don't need to be starting all the time on bootup.
2. Download and Run ccleaner.  Would make slight difference with some registry cleanup and dleeting temp files. 

mylestheslasher

Laptops are as cheap as £250 these days. RAM and the like could cost £100. I don't see any point in upgrading a 7 yr old laptop. Buy a new one.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 12, 2009, 06:12:29 PM

Laptops are as cheap as £250 these days. RAM and the like could cost £100. I don't see any point in upgrading a 7 yr old laptop. Buy a new one.
Cheers lads. I'll clear the tat off it and see where that leaves us. The desktop is full of crappy wee programs installed to keep the kids amused.

Dougal

i downloaded paddypowerpoker the other day and when i opened it,it started using 99% of my CPU and didnt drop after 10 mins,my CPU is 2.8ghz so im sure this shouldnt be happening,anyone any suggestions?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on November 12, 2009, 06:48:57 PM
i downloaded paddypowerpoker the other day and when i opened it,it started using 99% of my CPU and didnt drop after 10 mins,my CPU is 2.8ghz so im sure this shouldnt be happening,anyone any suggestions?

Quit playing poker!

Seriously, I could be wrong but I don't think you actually downloaded the program. You instead download a small file that does an on the fly online installation. Perhaps it is actually installing as it downloads and that is what is hanging your system. I'd just leave it for an hour and see if it dissappears. If not uninstall it, do full anti virus, spyware, malware scans and then reinstall again.

TheGreatRambo

My msn stopped working yesterday (won't let me log in), ran the troubleshooting thingy and it reports a "key ports" problem. Have googled this and its a known issue but none of the suggests fixes work. Any of u techies help??

Norf Tyrone

I want to hook my laptop up to the TV, which is striaght forward. However is it possible to keep the screen on my laptop active while the TV one is on as well.

Someone said it's called mirroring a desktop, but not sure much about it.

Thanks.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 03, 2009, 07:13:31 PM
I want to hook my laptop up to the TV, which is striaght forward. However is it possible to keep the screen on my laptop active while the TV one is on as well.

Someone said it's called mirroring a desktop, but not sure much about it.

Thanks.

Yep should be possible alright.  You would need to change the output of the laptop.  On my hp laptop I have to press the fn+F4 key to change it.  It has 3 cycles, display laptop only, display tv only or display on both. 
Or if you go into your display settings you could have the tv as an extended monitor as if it was sitting beside your monitor and be able to drag items from the left of your laptop screen onto the right of your tv.

LeoMc

Quote from: stpauls on January 27, 2009, 10:46:23 AM
Quote from: Pangurban on January 26, 2009, 11:53:51 PM
I have a Desktop Computer with Wireless Router and a Lap-Top which is Wi Fi enabled, do i need to connect anything to the Desktop  to get them to speak to each other and share Broadband etc. Any Advice appreciated. Have Googled the problem but find the explanations jargon heavy and difficult to understand

Pangur, you should have gotten software with the router, which will need to be installed on the laptop first of all. the router will obviously have to be connected to your modem as well (should have said this first).  :-[
you can then connect your pc to the router, and you both machines can use the connection. if you want, you can then set up a sharing network so you can access your files on the laptop from the pc, and vice versa, as well as printers and scanners etc.

Separate query from above and related (i think) to this stuff being talked about at the start of he year.
This is where I am at. I have cable coming into my wireless router. PC (XP) is hard wired to the router and Laptop (Vista) connects wirelessly so I have internet at both.

I have recently bought a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device as I wanted a central point to back up photos, music, etc, rather than have to have the PC on all the time but am really struggling to get it set up. The instructions are in chinese with some badly dubbed English alongside and I cannot make head or tail of it.

Does anyone know how these things work and how to set  them up?