Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 09, 2009, 12:30:45 AM
You don't have an old copy of Norton or any other antivirus installed?

i may have? i'm running all my antivirus in safemode now to see will that work
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Mhic Easmuint

You should only have 1 antivirus program installed.  If you have more than 1 they conflict with each other.
Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any other Anti-Virus you have,  keeping Avast.
Malewarebytes, Superantispyware etc are ok as they are not antivirus programs. 

You can't have Avast, running along with Norton or McAfee etc etc.

Minder

Thanks for the help last night lads bit still no luck. Ran a scan on Malwarebytes and it is still there, went into the registry as Myles said, there was an enter for "Cyber Key" bit not "Cyber Security", I removed it anyway but alas is still there. Any other options?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyrone86

Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2009, 08:27:25 AM
Thanks for the help last night lads bit still no luck. Ran a scan on Malwarebytes and it is still there, went into the registry as Myles said, there was an enter for "Cyber Key" bit not "Cyber Security", I removed it anyway but alas is still there. Any other options?

Do a system restore from before when the Cyber Security stuff started to appear and run a virus check as soon as you get rebooted and that should get it.

Mhic Easmuint

You could try combofix which can be downloaded from:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Details there on also how to use.  There is a warning though that it should only be run by advanced users.  I've run it on many computers without any trouble.

ross4life

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 09, 2009, 01:29:57 AM
You should only have 1 antivirus program installed.  If you have more than 1 they conflict with each other.
Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any other Anti-Virus you have,  keeping Avast.
Malewarebytes, Superantispyware etc are ok as they are not antivirus programs. 

You can't have Avast, running along with Norton or McAfee etc etc.

all ok now thanks  ;D i uninstall Norton
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Minder

Quote from: tyrone86 on November 09, 2009, 08:37:27 AM

Do a system restore from before when the Cyber Security stuff started to appear and run a virus check as soon as you get rebooted and that should get it.

Did the job, cheers.

Denn Forever

Norton seems to be a liability.  Was it ever any good?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 09, 2009, 07:21:54 PM

Won a few fights in the 70s but a disaster since.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2009, 08:49:19 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 09, 2009, 07:21:54 PM

Won a few fights in the 70s but a disaster since.

His son, Ken Norton Jr, won Super Bowls with the Cowboys and 49ers in the 90's. So it hasn't all been bad.

kumquat

Here lads, my download speed is very slow, and the wireless connection to the ps3 keeps quitting. But i can still browse the web on my pc. Is there any way of finding out if the problem is my router or the bt line?

(sky broadband by the way)
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: kumquat on November 12, 2009, 02:13:59 PM
Here lads, my download speed is very slow, and the wireless connection to the ps3 keeps quitting. But i can still browse the web on my pc. Is there any way of finding out if the problem is my router or the bt line?

Have you got filters on all the phone sockets in the house, including any for sky tv etc?

Rafa

Not sure if this is similar but my friend had Sky broadband and his Fifa kept cutting out online when he played and a lot of the time he couldn't connect to the server.

It turned out it was something to do with the 'ports?' Like his broadband was programmed to block the Fifa server (for firewall purposes, I'm certainly no expert). Anyway after a bit of googling he found step by step instructions of  how exactly to 'open the ports'.

kumquat

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 12, 2009, 02:26:06 PM

Have you got filters on all the phone sockets in the house, including any for sky tv etc?

yes there is a filter at the telephone point, it worked fine for ages then just slowed down to feck all. (plus ive just bought Modern warfare 2 n i cant get online)
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: kumquat on November 12, 2009, 02:36:01 PM
Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on November 12, 2009, 02:26:06 PM

yes there is a filter at the telephone point, it worked fine for ages then just slowed down to feck all. (plus ive just bought Modern warfare 2 n i cant get online)

Yep could well be a Port issue then as Rafa said. 
You would need to configure your router to open the ports to the ipaddress that the Playstation has picked up.
Or you could put the playstation IP in the DMZ of the router which takes it away from all firewalls.