Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

right click my computer, properties, device manager. Any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the listed items.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 10, 2009, 06:02:30 PM
right click my computer, properties, device manager. Any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the listed items.
No, and when I looked at them from display it says they are working

Theres nothing stuck under the keys either
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Is it a new laptop? Something wierd happening if a reinstall of drivers fixes the problem but it happens again. What happens if you do a disable on the device manager of the mouse pad and then plug in and use a usb mouse? If that works it would isolate the mouse pad as the problem.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 10, 2009, 06:13:47 PM
Is it a new laptop? Something wierd happening if a reinstall of drivers fixes the problem but it happens again. What happens if you do a disable on the device manager of the mouse pad and then plug in and use a usb mouse? If that works it would isolate the mouse pad as the problem.
No, its 4 year od.
Im using usb mouse now, its fine. Dont care about the mouse, its the keyboard thats doing my head in.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 10, 2009, 06:19:50 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 10, 2009, 06:13:47 PM
No, its 4 year od.
Im using usb mouse now, its fine. Dont care about the mouse, its the keyboard thats doing my head in.

Did u try to disable the mouse pad in the device manager? If uninstalling it fixed the problem for a moment then maybe it may cure it? If you reboot the laptop without your usb mouse will the keyboard work?

One other thing I just thought of. Restart your pc and get into bios set-up (usually by pressing F12, should get a hint on the screen as it starts), often there is an option in there  to disable/enable mouse/keyboard or other peripherals. Have a look and see if something looks astray.

pintsofguinness

Did u try to disable the mouse pad in the device manager? If uninstalling it fixed the problem for a moment then maybe it may cure it? If you reboot the laptop without your usb mouse will the keyboard work?
already tried that, doesnt help

Its been acting up for ages now, its 4 year old, think its time for a new one.

pintsofguinness

Is there much difference between windows vista home basic and the premium one?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 10, 2009, 10:35:50 PM

An XP reinstall might sort out your issues and then again it might not.  If the hardware is knackered no amount of troubleshooting would resolve any issues. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 11, 2009, 08:26:57 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 10, 2009, 10:35:50 PM

An XP reinstall might sort out your issues and then again it might not.  If the hardware is knackered no amount of troubleshooting would resolve any issues.
Ive given up on it, cant say a bad word about the old girl, but I going to order a new one

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 11, 2009, 08:18:20 PM

Vista is a ball of shit and I would go out of my way to avoid it if I were you - Microsoft have even given up on it. It won't be easy but I suggest you try and buy something with XP on it and then upgrade to windows 7 when it is out a few months and is deemed to be running well.

Mhic Easmuint

You can laptops now with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when its available.  Release date is supposed to be the end of this month so it might not be too far away.

amallon

I've been very impressed with Windows 7 so far.  I have the full release version running on a machine which previously ran Vista.  It boots much faster than Vista.  Win7 is less of a hog on memory.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 12, 2009, 10:09:47 AM

Vista is a ball of shit and I would go out of my way to avoid it if I were you - Microsoft have even given up on it. It won't be easy but I suggest you try and buy something with XP on it and then upgrade to windows 7 when it is out a few months and is deemed to be running well.
Ordered one with it.  All I do on the computer is browse net, store photos, watch downloaded stuff - Im sure it'll be fine for me.  This one I ordered has a 4gb ram so should be good for running vista, or so Im told?
how much would it be to upgrade anyway?

amallon

4GB is plenty for Vista.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 12, 2009, 07:56:09 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 12, 2009, 10:09:47 AM

Ordered one with it.  All I do on the computer is browse net, store photos, watch downloaded stuff - Im sure it'll be fine for me.  This one I ordered has a 4gb ram so should be good for running vista, or so Im told?
how much would it be to upgrade anyway?

Not sure but i think its around €200 or so if you do it legally.