Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on September 24, 2009, 04:20:43 PM
I need a DVD decoder to run DVD's on my laptop (windows vista). Microsoft are looking me to pay $15, is there anywhere I could get something similar for free?
You need a media player.
VLC is freeware and has most everything (already inbuilt) that you need in a media player.

ONeill

OK, here's one that has me stumped. For some reason I can only open firefox in safe-mode. If I click on the firefox desktop icon it'll act as if it's loading, then stop. When I check the usage, it's at 50% for the firefox app that I tried to open. I have to stop that and then open it in safe mode to activate firefox. Tried deleting and installing but still the same. Is it a firewall/security issue?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Pull up Task Manager (right-click on the bottom bar -- sorry, if teaching you to suck eggs) as you try to open it Shane, and click the 'Performance' tab just to see if it's a case of the CPU maxing out because of the add-ons. When you say "50%", what's that, CPU, memory?

It's doubtful that's it's a firewall/security issue if it works OK in Safe Mode.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Fear ón Srath Bán

OK, 50% isn't maxing out though on CPU.

If you click on the 'Processes' tab within Task Manager, and then click on 'Mem Usage' twice so that it sorts from highest usage to lowest, is Firefox grabbing the lion's share? And is it more than 220,000K in full mode?

At a guess, I'd say that Firefox in Safe Mode isn't exhausting your PC resources, and in Full mode it is. What's your machine spec: CPU, memory?

ONeill

Up to 200'000 with the closest to that 20'000

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 26, 2009, 12:28:42 AM

At a guess, I'd say that Firefox in Safe Mode isn't exhausting your PC resources, and in Full mode it is. What's your machine spec: CPU, memory?

Is there a shortcut to find that out instead of heading up the stairs?

ONeill

Firefox in safe mode is 0-1%

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on September 26, 2009, 12:40:03 AM
Is there a shortcut to find that out instead of heading up the stairs?

Yes...  ;)

What's your machine spec (My Computer (right-click) --> Properties --> General)?

I'd say it's simply just a matter of full Firefox depleting your processing power to zero, whereas Safe Mode isn't half as heavy on the CPU or memory. I'm not a Windows expert, but maybe your virtual memory could do with some tweaking (My Computer (right-click) --> Properties --> Advanced).

If you have a look at the loading on CPU and  memory during both full and safe modes, just to compare. And 200,000 isn't excessive.

ONeill

ONeill

Thanks a million for your help, btw. Will eventually buy you a stout.

Fear ón Srath Bán

OK, try exiting completely and starting Firefox in Safe Mode, and ticking all the options except the add-ons -- does that run quickly?

And what are your CPU details (from the General tab too)?

Quote from: ONeill on September 26, 2009, 12:50:48 AM
Thanks a million for your help, btw. Will eventually buy you a stout.

No prob at all, see you for the All-Ireland Final next year (and we won't be there as 'neutrals')!  ;)

And sorry, the old usual with Windows, if you haven't shut down since you've noticed it going slow, could you try that too (shutting the machine down completely).

ONeill

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on September 26, 2009, 12:57:58 AM
8%, 47'000

OK Shane, it's one or more of the add-ons, not Firefox itself. But shut down the box and restart first to see if it's just as bad.

ONeill

That seems to have mended it. Have lost all bookmarks but no big deal. Running at 51k. Thanks million.