Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Right, I get the BSOD a lot, the cd rewriter doesn't work and out of the blue I get an email and a call form a bloke from Dell. this bloke goes onto say that my 3 year warranty expired 3 days ago and would I like to extend it for £72 plus vat for 1 year. well this was a surprise to me as I dont have a warranty, I did take it out initially but cancelled it after 2 days and we refunded the full amount of £95. is it Worth it to pay the money now? and if I take the "Extended"warranty then they figure out I dont have one can they charge me for parts and labour?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gnevin

Quote from: Square Ball link=topic=10775.msg
614271#msg614271 date=1249665637

Right, I get the BSOD a lot, the cd rewriter doesn't work and out of the blue I get an email and a call form a bloke from Dell. this bloke goes onto say that my 3 year warranty expired 3 days ago and would I like to extend it for £72 plus vat for 1 year. well this was a surprise to me as I dont have a warranty, I did take it out initially but cancelled it after 2 days and we refunded the full amount of £95. is it Worth it to pay the money now? and if I take the "Extended"warranty then they figure out I dont have one can they charge me for parts and labour?

A 3 year old pc is coming to the end of it's days really. You could get a decent unit (assuming you just go on the net , do the odd document) for about 300 inc vat now

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/desktop-inspiron-545_headless_rec?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=dthp
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Square Ball

all was well in then.....

I have a Rootkill tdss virus, which I have tried to get rid of on numerous occassions with various tools, but it hasnt got it.. any one recomment one that will get the wee fecker, or how to go about manually.

I think it may require a total re install, but the drive is broken, any suggestions?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Square Ball on September 08, 2009, 09:59:32 PM

I have a Rootkill tdss virus, which I have tried to get rid of on numerous occassions with various tools, but it hasnt got it.. any one recomment one that will get the wee fecker, or how to go about manually.

I think it may require a total re install, but the drive is broken, any suggestions?
If it's just the CD drive that is broken, stick a different one in and then reinstall...

If you are comfortable with opening a computer and changing parts that is
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Square Ball

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 08, 2009, 10:08:22 PM

If it's just the CD drive that is broken, stick a different one in and then reinstall...

I should be able to stick a new one in, just trying to avoid doing it.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Square Ball on September 08, 2009, 10:25:08 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on September 08, 2009, 10:08:22 PM

I should be able to stick a new one in, just trying to avoid doing it.
If you have any bother give me a shout (assuming you have access to internet otherwise)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

kumquat

My pc is looking to "validate my windows os". I can't log on until I validate it.  I can't find the product key that came with the system (have the pc bout 6 years), can I just buy windows vista os & reinstall? If so how do I do it?
Buy us a pint then Boselecta!!!

Bensars

If there is an "unoffical" windows version it will do this. However a quick google search will allow you to find a validation removal software.

youtube is your friend

AbbeySider

Quote from: kumquat on September 08, 2009, 11:02:59 PM
My pc is looking to "validate my windows os". I can't log on until I validate it.  I can't find the product key that came with the system (have the pc bout 6 years), can I just buy windows vista os & reinstall? If so how do I do it?

I know where you can get an anti-activation hack. Ill PM u the details tomorrow.

Main Street

Best to use an unactivated and unhacked version of VISTA iso,   install it then use the Vista Activator like Vista Loader 4.9.7 or newer.
An uncracked Vista is easier to activate
eg an unmodified VISTA  with a  title like
Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 (x86)(x64) - DVD - MSDN

MSDN means it is authentic DVD ISOs, direct from Microsoft's MSDN technet website. They require an authentic product key to activate.  But they respond to activation  using Vista Loader 4.9.7 or newer.

All just theoretical information of course

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 09, 2009, 12:13:52 AM

I know where you can get an anti-activation hack. Ill PM u the details tomorrow.

kumquat,
Google AntiWPA and your SP number.
[ "antiwpa sp2" ]
Download the Zip File, Read the instructions.

Unzip and put it on a floppy or USB key
Restart in Safe Mode, Run the crack.

Hey Presto....

kumquat

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 09, 2009, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on September 09, 2009, 12:13:52 AM

kumquat,
Google AntiWPA and your SP number.
[ "antiwpa sp2" ]
Download the Zip File, Read the instructions.

Unzip and put it on a floppy or USB key
Restart in Safe Mode, Run the crack.

Hey Presto....

thanks abbeysider i got he file youmentioned but i cant log on to windows even in safe mode to run the programme, can i do it through command promp, and if yes how do i?

kumquat

a quick google search told me how to load from cmd prompt AbbeySider, up and running again.  Manys thanks   ;D

AbbeySider

Quote from: kumquat on September 09, 2009, 01:55:59 PM
a quick google search told me how to load from cmd prompt AbbeySider, up and running again.  Manys thanks   ;D

Excellent!
Only saw the previous message now.  ;)

*ahem*
I know someone who uses Dell XP installation CD's (of which there is one in nearly every house on this island)
to install XP on any PC, Dell or otherwise.
After 30 days it asks you to activate. But if you follow the steps you did, you never have to activate it again.
Not even after XP SP3...  ;D

TacadoirArdMhacha

I need a DVD decoder to run DVD's on my laptop (windows vista). Microsoft are looking me to pay $15, is there anywhere I could get something similar for free?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead