Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 11, 2009, 12:21:54 AM
It's hard to pinpoint pints.

There's a possibility it's actually the power supply giving different voltages to what it should be.  It's also very possible that one of the ports have failed or that there is a corruption in the operating system somewhere.  It could also mean that the physical USB bus is damaged, in which case it's irrepairable damage

I havent a clue, with any luck they'll all fail and I can justify a new one. 

It's 4 year old Mainstreet. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Has your ext  usb drive  got it's own power supply or does it depend on the usb power output to mount and run?

A usb powered hard drive needs a good working usb port to mount on the desktop.
It would be a good device to use to check that each individual usb port functions to satisfaction.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Main Street on July 11, 2009, 11:53:40 PM
Has your ext  usb drive  got it's own power supply or does it depend on the usb power output to mount and run?

A usb powered hard drive needs a good working usb port to mount on the desktop.
It would be a good device to use to check that each individual usb port functions to satisfaction.

The external hard drive and external cd player, both have their own power supply.  Doesnt seem to be a problem with any individual port.  Computer just wont pick up two devices at the same time.

ardmhachaabu

I am beginning to suspect a dodgy power supply even more now

Have you noticed anything else strange with it ?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

gawa316

ardmhachaabu you seem to know your stuff. Don't know what happened yesterday but my google tool bar has disappeared. I've clicked on view, then tool bars, then google toolbar. A screen then pops up asking me, do I want to disable it but it isn't there to disable. Any help would be great.

On another note why when I try to 'safely remove' my USB it sometimes tells me I can't because of the volume? Thing is it only happens sometimes

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 12, 2009, 12:45:11 AM
I am beginning to suspect a dodgy power supply even more now

Have you noticed anything else strange with it ?

No.   ???

Square Ball

Guys

i had problems and got a lot of help here, but the one that finally cracked it for me was from a error report that kept coming up, I always hit don't send, but I was that frustrated I hit send report. the report went and a new window opened giving me possible solutions for the problem and other links to follow. Used these and got it fixed.

do you get these reports?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Main Street

It never ever dawned on me in all the years to click that   - send to microsoft -   option.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: gawa316 on July 12, 2009, 01:29:15 AM
ardmhachaabu you seem to know your stuff. Don't know what happened yesterday but my google tool bar has disappeared. I've clicked on view, then tool bars, then google toolbar. A screen then pops up asking me, do I want to disable it but it isn't there to disable. Any help would be great.

On another note why when I try to 'safely remove' my USB it sometimes tells me I can't because of the volume? Thing is it only happens sometimes
reinstall the toolbar and/or check their help section

usb problem is probably because you have windows explorer open accessing it
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Square Ball

I stil have a dirty we bastard of a hi jacker somewhere, whenI search on Google and click a link i am redirected, but I can cut and paste the link and it works fine.

I have run avg, adaware, malawware and its still happening, any ideas?

ardmhachaabu

Where is it redirecting you to?

Square Ball

ardmhachaabu

Does it change?

Reason I am asking is I am trying to identify what you are infected with before suggesting a course of action

Square Ball

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 12, 2009, 10:56:00 PM
Does it change?

Reason I am asking is I am trying to identify what you are infected with before suggesting a course of action
say i google the gaa board and click on the link it starts and then it comes up redirected, not all the time but the majority of the time, other times it brings me to a file download, of course i havnt downloaded the file

Square Ball