Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2009, 03:29:52 PM
Problem on my side now.

For some reason my sound has completely vanished. There is no audio device at all. Don't know if it's related but Symantec found 'bloodhound.exploit.196' this morning and quarantined it.

Any help greatly appreciated.
It's probably related to that as that particular one can damage/remove system files.  I would suggest reinstalling the audio drivers either from the disc or failing that from the manufacturer's website.  Do you know whether your sound is onboard or if it's a separate card?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Square Ball

Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2009, 10:51:27 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on July 09, 2009, 06:34:13 PM
still fecked but it doesnt freeze as often >:(, going to try and manually remove the b**tard tomorrow when I have time and beer

SQ you seem to have a fair bit of computer knowledge . Have you considered formatting?

was thinking about a clean install, this is driving me mad, I also have a UACd.sys trojan which is a bastard to get rid of, i think I have managed to do it. its a hijacker with this discription
Redirect to windowsclick.com site is a result of UACd.sys trojan activity. The trojan horse may represent security risk for the infected computer and uses rootkit-specific techniques designed to hide the software presence in the system.
Once infected, UACd.sys trojan blocks user access to security websites, search results in Google, Yahoo, MSN and other redirect you to windowsclick.com and other non related sites.

f**k its annoying
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

pintsofguinness

Anyone know why my computer is not picking up usb devices? 

QuoteUSB Device not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it

I love the way the computer accepts responsibility, the printer, hard drive, mp3 player, camera cant all have malfunctioned altogether!!!!

Someone had me uninstalling the universial controlers and restarting, think it worked once.  anything else worth trying?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Reinstalling the USB drivers can't hurt pints.

Did anything odd electrical happen to the pc recently?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 10, 2009, 09:17:03 PM
Reinstalling the USB drivers can't hurt pints.

Did anything odd electrical happen to the pc recently?

Yeah I've done that.

I use an external cd drive and it wouldnt pick it up an odd time when I put in the usb lead and I'd have to restart to get it to pick it up.  Then I bought a printer couple of weeks ago and couldnt get it to pick up the printer at all, then I reinstalled the drivers (at least I think that's what I done, someone was instructing me) and it picked up the printer.  Printer working well etc and then I disconnected it and now it wont pick it  up agian, won't pick up mp3 player, camera or nothing.  External harddrive doing ok but I think if I disconnect it it wont pick it up again. Weird thing is I use a usb mouse, not one problem with it. 

Nothing unusual happened it though.  Apart from the printer seeming to send it haywire but that might have been a coincidence.  however! for weeks there it kept making the sound as it a usb device had been connected when it hadnt been - all very strange.

ONeill

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 10, 2009, 06:32:23 PM
Problem on my side now.

For some reason my sound has completely vanished. There is no audio device at all. Don't know if it's related but Symantec found 'bloodhound.exploit.196' this morning and quarantined it.

It's probably related to that as that particular one can damage/remove system files.  I would suggest reinstalling the audio drivers either from the disc or failing that from the manufacturer's website.  Do you know whether your sound is onboard or if it's a separate card?

Tis onboard. I'd imagine you're right about the bug.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

It sounds as if there has been a general USB failure - you could try totally uninstalling USB altogether and then reinstalling, it could be a simple case of that.  If not I would maybe think of getting a USB card and sticking it in (you get a CD with the relevant software on it normally as well)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2009, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 10, 2009, 06:32:23 PM
Problem on my side now.

Tis onboard. I'd imagine you're right about the bug.
You will need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the audio drivers for your motherboard.  If you need help in identifying that, a program called Belarc Advisor should get the information you need

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 10, 2009, 10:01:55 PM
It sounds as if there has been a general USB failure - you could try totally uninstalling USB altogether and then reinstalling, it could be a simple case of that.  If not I would maybe think of getting a USB card and sticking it in (you get a CD with the relevant software on it normally as well)

Done that there now again.  Restarted and I plugged in mouse (picked it up as normal), plugged in cd drive, picked it up, plugged in mp3 player and it was unrecognised.  Plugged out cd drive, tried mp3 player again - recognised.  Tried cd drive - not recognised.  Tried external harddrive - not picked up.  Just bizarre. 

ardmhachaabu

Hard to say whether it's hard or software related pints.

Could you check your event log for any errors relating to USB?

To do that, go into the control panel then administrative tools then event viewer

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 10, 2009, 11:06:53 PM
Hard to say whether it's hard or software related pints.

Could you check your event log for any errors relating to USB?

To do that, go into the control panel then administrative tools then event viewer

Think I've sorted it, I've been messing with it for last hour, came very close to losing the head on several occasions.  Basically I think I'd too much hooked up to laptop (which wouldnt be the most powerful in the world).  I discovered it's picking up the printer when I've just the printer (and mouse) connected to it, no problems.  Picking up the harddrive/cd drive if I take them one at the time etc.  Seems to be working if I stick to that now. 

Bad news is I've just lost my justification for a new laptop! (for now anyway) Damn!

ardmhachaabu

How many USB ports are on it ?

pintsofguinness

Wouldnt run the cd drive and mp3 player there, will run one on it's own.   :-\

There was never a problem before, is it posssible for it to be losing power or something?  As I say, it's getting on a bit.

ardmhachaabu

It's hard to pinpoint pints.

There's a possibility it's actually the power supply giving different voltages to what it should be.  It's also very possible that one of the ports have failed or that there is a corruption in the operating system somewhere.  It could also mean that the physical USB bus is damaged, in which case it's irrepairable damage

Main Street

Might be a pertinent Q to ask how old that laptop is?
USB 1?
MP3 player not recognised because it depends on USB power?
Fewer problems with self powered peripherals?