Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

attheraces

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Orior

Quote from: attheraces on June 14, 2013, 08:54:11 PM
Bump

I hate shopping around, so cannot really help on a shoot-out.

What were the issues with your previous laptop?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Bump
At that price  you are getting a bottom of the barrel laptop, glossy plastic.
It's reasonably light, but piss poor battery life for an 'ultra book', about 3.5 hours.

Depends what you want, your needs  appear basic so this should do.

illdecide

guys my we cub was playing with his nexus 7 on Mon r Tues  in the garden and left it sitting out when the rain came on. I dried the screen right away but there are water marks now on the inside of the screen. I assumed the warranty is now bollixed? I know dropping into toilet r bath would destroy it but didn't think a few spots of rain would penetrate through...tablet is only 3-4 months old. should I contact Google and try my luck r just use away at it until it packs itself in?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

93-DY-SAM

All these devices including phones have water damage indicators at several places within them. As soon as they come into contact with water they change colour. Gives the game away every time. There is a good chance that one has come into contact with water which will void your warranty.

If it was me I wouldn't attempt to turn it on but leave it in the hot press or somewhere like that for 4-5 days to let it dry naturally and it should be ok. Have done that in the past with several devices that have been dropped in the sink and they have been grand.

PS. I know someone who dropped their phone in water and thought they could dry it out in the microwave. As expected that didn't end well for the phone or microwave so don't try that.

attheraces

Quote from: Orior on June 14, 2013, 10:54:45 PM
Bump

I hate shopping around, so cannot really help on a shoot-out.

What were the issues with your previous laptop?

Compared to the work laptop I use and the desktop it was slow, especially when running a number of different browsers and applications. It was small differences, but just when loading programs or opening things that couple of seconds was quite frustrating. The battery life was awful and the casing started to fall apart after about 1.5 years. It was vista as well and I found it pretty underwhelming, hence the worries about windows 8. It was an Asus and I bought it in store basically because it was sold to me.

By the specifications I thought that laptop looked ok but as another poster says the battery life will be awful (I never would have knew that), not sure what to be looking for.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

illdecide

I was told that because the Nexus was exposed only to a few rain drops and not submersed in water that it should be a sealed unit and therefore a few spots of rain shouldn't have penetrated through to the inside of the screen. I know water can easily get in from the back where the speakers are and air vents etc but should a few rain drops have caused that much damage to the screen...(i know I'm clutching at straws here ffs). Dried it out there for a few days but inside of screen is still the same (watermarks all over it)...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Syferus

I picked up this ladeen-en for £87 (+ €3.50 for Parcel Motel to deliver it to the great county town of Roscommon) with the help of a £100 HP cashback scheme:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5336619

A HP Proliant N54L MicroServer.

My external HDDs are starting to take over the desk and I wanted to really set up a proper media server so I thought it was a good time to get my first server. Eventually plan on transitioning it into my torrent downloader too. Going to install Windows Server 2012, 8GB RAM (£30), maybe a low profile GPU (£25), an old internal DVD drive I have laying around and of course some storage (££££££££££?).

The modern equivalent of building a shelf or souping up your car. Soon I'll be able to watch Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles from multiple in the house and at the same time stream my Brendan Grace collection to any number of speakers in the house. Even HAL 9000 couldn't hang with this level of monolithic control.

ONeill

Child spill drink on keys. Be fixed or banjaxed? 3 keys.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2013, 12:44:22 PM

I dont know about the keyboard, but rubbing their nose in the spill usually works.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 15, 2013, 09:09:25 AM
All these devices including phones have water damage indicators at several places within them. As soon as they come into contact with water they change colour. Gives the game away every time. There is a good chance that one has come into contact with water which will void your warranty.

If it was me I wouldn't attempt to turn it on but leave it in the hot press or somewhere like that for 4-5 days to let it dry naturally and it should be ok. Have done that in the past with several devices that have been dropped in the sink and they have been grand.

PS. I know someone who dropped their phone in water and thought they could dry it out in the microwave. As expected that didn't end well for the phone or microwave so don't try that.

Was his name Father Dougal Maguire?
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on July 08, 2013, 01:17:55 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2013, 12:44:22 PM

I dont know about the keyboard, but rubbing their nose in the spill usually works.
I don't know about those primitive Tyrone parenting techniques but I'd agree that the child can be fixed, doubtful about the parent though.
Wasn't this same keyboard spillage question asked a few months ago?
Is it the same spillage or a repeat offence?

Main Street

FWIW there is a part workable alternative solution to macbook keyboard issues .
Here's what I sent to my daughter, she had one key not working.

Dear daughter,
To get around your macbook keyboard issue,
You need the keyboard icon in the menu, beside the volume icon on the desktop.
If it's not there
go to
<System prefs>
<Keyboard>
<Show keyboard character prefs in the menu bar>    activate it

Then go to the desktop and click on the keyboard icon  in the menu (beside the volume icon)
select  <Keyboard Viewer>
and abrakaddabra you have a workable keyboard on the desktop screen.
and it works in conjunction with the real keyboard.

Your loving Dad.

Syferus

I'm sure there's programs that let you rebind keyboard keys? Obviously not ideal but transferring the three broke keys to three keys you rarely use would restore as much functionality as possible without replacing the keyboard itself.

Main Street

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2013, 12:54:39 AM
I'm sure there's programs that let you rebind keyboard keys? Obviously not ideal but transferring the three broke keys to three keys you rarely use would restore as much functionality as possible without replacing the keyboard itself.
There's not much available for mac os, mostly remapper software for shortcuts and commands.
Ukelele is about the only remapper of the bread and butter key.

You create new layout from current input source, make your changes and save the new layout in / Library/Keyboard layouts, then select the layout in the /prefs/ language & text/input sources, just in the same way you can select any language layout.