Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

My laptop is about 5/6 years old, has Windows Xp on it and I'm running Explorer 7. Should I or can I upgrade to Explorer 9 or 10 or would Safari, which I have on my ipad, be a better option?
"Stercus accidit"

Main Street

Safari is the standout browser option to use on the iPad, because Apple blatantly slanted the odds in its favour.

Google Chrome for XPpro 32bit, it's a no brainer, imo.

illdecide

guys this going to be hard to explain...but here goes.
I got illdecide junior a 10" touchscreen tablet for Christmas (shit make...still don't know what it is) first of after a week the charger broke (2mm small pin charger) then 2 weeks ago the tablet refuses to switch on. When I put an alternative charger into a different port (which worked fine for 4 weeks) a battery sign appears on the screen with a bolt of lightening through the battery but still won't turn on, the battery sign always came up before when charging but never with the lightening sign on the battery. ..
any ideas what would be wrong with it...surly they're meant  to last more than 6 weeks
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: illdecide on February 17, 2013, 10:11:30 PM
guys this going to be hard to explain...but here goes.
I got illdecide junior a 10" touchscreen tablet for Christmas (shit make...still don't know what it is) first of after a week the charger broke (2mm small pin charger) then 2 weeks ago the tablet refuses to switch on. When I put an alternative charger into a different port (which worked fine for 4 weeks) a battery sign appears on the screen with a bolt of lightening through the battery but still won't turn on, the battery sign always came up before when charging but never with the lightening sign on the battery. ..
any ideas what would be wrong with it...surly they're meant  to last more than 6 weeks
Return to sender.

laoislad

I want to buy a refurbished PC on ebay to hook up to my TV to watch Sky Go and stream matches on.
The one I'm looking at is a Dell Optiplex 745 Intel Pentium D 3.4 Ghz with dual core.
Will this be good enough to stream matches etc? There is a dearer one also that is a Dell Optiplex 755 Dual Core @ 2.20Ghz. €50 difference in the price.
I will only be using the PC for SKY GO and streaming from sopcast etc,I use my laptop for eveything else.
I have 100mbps broadband from UPC.
Will the cheaper one be plenty for what I want?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

It's not the computing power that's the limiting factor on streaming capacity, it's your broadband bandwidth. So the decision between PCs is omly relevant if they have significantly different graphics handling specs.

take_yer_points

Quote from: laoislad on February 21, 2013, 11:38:57 PM
I want to buy a refurbished PC on ebay to hook up to my TV to watch Sky Go and stream matches on.
The one I'm looking at is a Dell Optiplex 745 Intel Pentium D 3.4 Ghz with dual core.
Will this be good enough to stream matches etc? There is a dearer one also that is a Dell Optiplex 755 Dual Core @ 2.20Ghz. €50 difference in the price.
I will only be using the PC for SKY GO and streaming from sopcast etc,I use my laptop for eveything else.
I have 100mbps broadband from UPC.
Will the cheaper one be plenty for what I want?

Were you not using your iPhone/iPad at one stage for that?

Main Street

What does refurbished mean in a 7 year old computer? they blew the dust out of it and formatted the hard drive?
They sure as hell don't replace any parts, it would be too expensive.
A dual core with 2GB ram is the lowest standard
If it only has 2GB Ram I don't think it wouldn't be worth it unless it was for free and if the graphics are integrated - 'forget about it'. Probably would have been used in an office environment. Is there an LCD screen with it?
Streaming  matches uses Adobe Flash player plug in which is a resource hog. And some sites require you to have thee latest flash player in order to stream a game. 
Even the lowest specced Dell desktop for sale now would be a 4 generations gap in technology.

laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on February 22, 2013, 01:49:21 AM
It's not the computing power that's the limiting factor on streaming capacity, it's your broadband bandwidth. So the decision between PCs is omly relevant if they have significantly different graphics handling specs.

Thanks Hardy, I didn't know that.
It's only €50 so might just chance it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

How easy is it to pretend that you are using someone else's IP address when sending an email?

a) is it possible?
b) how easy it it?
c) can it be easily detected afterwards?

PS. I dont necessarily want to know how to do it
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Orior on March 01, 2013, 10:34:56 PM
How easy is it to pretend that you are using someone else's IP address when sending an email?

a) is it possible?
b) how easy it it?
c) can it be easily detected afterwards?

PS. I dont necessarily want to know how to do it

Very Easy

theticklemister

This may sound like a wains' question; but I have a sticky spacebar button and it is doing my head in as I have to hit it really hard in the middle.

Anyone any sugguestions?

illdecide

Quote from: theticklemister on March 06, 2013, 10:22:54 AM
This may sound like a wains' question; but I have a sticky spacebar button and it is doing my head in as I have to hit it really hard in the middle.

Anyone any sugguestions?

New keyboard saan (about £6 - £8)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

theticklemister

Quote from: illdecide on March 06, 2013, 10:26:40 AM

Anyone any sugguestions?

Sorry lad, tis a laptop.

Main Street

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on March 06, 2013, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on March 06, 2013, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: illdecide on March 06, 2013, 10:26:40 AM

Anyone any sugguestions?

Sorry lad, tis a laptop.

New keyboard saan (about £20 - £30)

Don't mind these cash rich suggestions. :) The first choice is to prise the space bar off carefully and clean out any gunk.
Take note that the space bar is connected differently than most other keys.