Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Anyone know how to download a video off YouTube.

Zamzar was great for it but it can t be one from there anymore!!!

I actually want the backing tracks off songs. MP3 I think they are called.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Gaffer on December 09, 2012, 08:47:10 PM
Anyone know how to download a video off YouTube.

Zamzar was great for it but it can t be one from there anymore!!!

I actually want the backing tracks off songs. MP3 I think they are called.

Orbit downloader.

tyroneman

I have an old HP Laptop which was very slow. Today couln't even get it going - system error.

Have lost the recovery Cd and HP have discontinued them.

Do I need to buy a new cd of Windows XP (which is what it came with) or some later version of a Windows OS and install it new?

Main Street

Quote from: tyroneman on December 17, 2012, 05:41:47 PM
I have an old HP Laptop which was very slow. Today couln't even get it going - system error.

Do I need to buy a new cd of Windows XP (which is what it came with) or some later version of a Windows OS and install it new?
You just need a Windows xp installation disk, install it and you should have basic function, afterwards you can download the specific drivers you need from the Dell support page for your particular laptop.
Or you can download the drivers on another computer  and have them ready before you install windows xp to your laptop,  or you can get a friend to do it, once they know the laptop model.
There are abundant choices and none of them require you to have the Dell installation cd's.

tyroneman

Cheers Main Street - I looked on Amazon etc and windows XP is around £90-100

EBay has it for £15.99 - would this be safe enough you reckon?

Main Street

If buying a copy is your only option, then  you will get a safe enough version from the eBay (rated) sellers.

Main Street

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on December 18, 2012, 04:28:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 17, 2012, 07:04:21 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on December 17, 2012, 05:41:47 PM

You just need a Windows xp installation disk, install it and you should have basic function, afterwards you can download the specific drivers you need from the Dell support page for your particular laptop.
Or you can download the drivers on another computer  and have them ready before you install windows xp to your laptop,  or you can get a friend to do it, once they know the laptop model.
There are abundant choices and none of them require you to have the Dell installation cd's.

I'm sure the Dell drivers would be right and useful considering its an HP laptop :)
;D
I can't even blame semi blindness for that one.

Archie Mitchell

Anyone any experience of setting up a 2nd wireless router onto a network (via ethernet cable) to increase wireless range?

gerrykeegan

I know i'm not answering the question but I used a range expander to that job once, it worked fine.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Archie Mitchell

Seen them but already have cable ran for something else, and would be handy using another router for the wireless and as a switch for hard wired connections for other stuff.

illdecide

Folks my four year old son has changed the password on a tablet and the we sh1te can't remember what he changed it too...is there any way of disabling it and removing the password? Your help is appreciated.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: illdecide on January 10, 2013, 11:43:32 AM
Folks my four year old son has changed the password on a tablet and the we sh1te can't remember what he changed it too...is there any way of disabling it and removing the password? Your help is appreciated.

If it is an android tablet, you will have to go through gmail to unlock the tablet after blocking it. That is what happened with my android tab.

If it is an ipad I don't have a clue, but you may have to go to apple store.

armaghniac

QuoteIf it is an android tablet, you will have to go through gmail to unlock the tablet after blocking it. That is what happened with my android tab.

Don't tell the offspring that you've unblocked it though!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on January 10, 2013, 12:11:04 PM
Quote from: illdecide on January 10, 2013, 11:43:32 AM

If it is an android tablet, you will have to go through gmail to unlock the tablet after blocking it. That is what happened with my android tab.

If it is an ipad I don't have a clue, but you may have to go to apple store.

Yeah its an android 10" tablet...bought from amazon, not sure of the make tbh (don't have it with me)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Fuzzman

Anybody live in Lurgan and are IT savvy?

My brother needs a little support and wants to upgrade from XP to either Win 7 or Win 8?

I'd say he'll find it hard going if he moves straight to win 8.

Another idea for increasing yer wifi range is to use those homeplugs to connect yer router to your electrical cabling via the power sockets. Its much better than wifi from one side of the house to the other.