Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on September 20, 2012, 03:23:37 PM
Quote from: boojangles on September 20, 2012, 03:07:29 PM
I have just bought a 2nd hand Sony Vaio laptop for college. It has Windows Vista home premium and I am trying to download Microsoft Office 2010 onto it from disc but I'm having problems. It seems I might need Windows 7. Will I have to purchase Windows 7 or is there another way around it? Any help would be appreciated.

Has the license already been used for microsoft office 2010?
It could be that old microsoft files are interferring with the installation and the Hard Disc Drive needs to be wiped.
I have not come across a problem with installing office software on Vista, dont think you need to buy windows 7.

Thanks for the reply. No there isn't a problem with the license. It has been downloaded to desktop but I can still use it once more on another device. How would I go about wiping the HD drive? It has Photoshop which I wouldn't mind holding onto.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: boojangles on September 20, 2012, 03:40:20 PM
I have just bought a 2nd hand Sony Vaio laptop for college. It has Windows Vista home premium and I am trying to download Microsoft Office 2010 onto it from disc but I'm having problems. It seems I might need Windows 7. Will I have to purchase Windows 7 or is there another way around it? Any help would be appreciated.

It could be that old microsoft files are interferring with the installation and the Hard Disc Drive needs to be wiped.
I have not come across a problem with installing office software on Vista, dont think you need to buy windows 7.

Thanks for the reply. No there isn't a problem with the license. It has been downloaded to desktop but I can still use it once more on another device. How would I go about wiping the HD drive? It has Photoshop which I wouldn't mind holding onto.

It was a bit risky for the person selling it to hand over the laptop without having it wiped (but even still it would be possible to extract stuff from hdd anyway) as all their private information would be on it.
Photoshop isn't that difficult to get a hold of online but it is illegal. Usually there is an option on the computer to wipe the HDD and a restore disc which comes with the computer when bought new.

boojangles

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on September 20, 2012, 03:44:07 PM

It was a bit risky for the person selling it to hand over the laptop without having it wiped (but even still it would be possible to extract stuff from hdd anyway) as all their private information would be on it.
Photoshop isn't that difficult to get a hold of online but it is illegal. Usually there is an option on the computer to wipe the HDD and a restore disc which comes with the computer when bought new.

The following is coming up when I try to install it.

Set-up is unable to proceed due to following errors.

You must be running one of the following operating systems.

*86 platform

-windows 7

-windows vista SP1

Windows XP SP3

Windows server 2003 SP2

or *64 platform

-Windows 7

-Windows Vista SP1

-Windows server 2008

passedit

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not but here goes.

The catchall email for my is picking up a lot of Postmaster undeliverable referring to emails from addresses such as C239AB1B@mydomain.com. Obviously someone is spamming using my domain. Simple question. how do I stop this?
Don't Panic

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: boojangles on September 20, 2012, 04:15:08 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on September 20, 2012, 03:44:07 PM

The following is coming up when I try to install it.

Set-up is unable to proceed due to following errors.

You must be running one of the following operating systems.

*86 platform

-windows 7

-windows vista SP1

Windows XP SP3

Windows server 2003 SP2

or *64 platform

-Windows 7

-Windows Vista SP1

-Windows server 2008

Right click (my) computer and look at properties. Copy and paste information relating to windows system

mylestheslasher

Boojangles- I am guessing you may not have the latest vista service pack. Right click on the. My computer icon, select properties and it should say what service pack you are on. If you need a copy of Photoshop pm me and I'll sort u out.

Norf Tyrone

Looking for a battery for my Inspiron 1525 Laptop.

The official Dell ones are £80 odd.

The ones on Ebay are around £16.

Can anyone recommend a battery that won't fleece me, but has a decent power life?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bigfrank

am i the only person still using internet explorer as my web browser? been told lately that there are much better available,anyone care to recommend one? google chrome i hear is decent?

amallon

Internet Explorer has improved a lot with the last few versions.  IE 10 came out in October and is a decent enough browser.  I use Chrome myself.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Ulick

IMO Internet Explorer is the best browser out there at the moment especially for HTML5 support. Me I'm still using Firefox as IE is still a little bloated and buggy unless you are running a high end machine.

Main Street

Whatever browser you use, use Adblock.
For me, it's the single most important 'de-clutteriser' enhancement.

nifan

Quote from: Ulick on November 15, 2012, 11:31:02 PM
IMO Internet Explorer is the best browser out there at the moment especially for HTML5 support. Me I'm still using Firefox as IE is still a little bloated and buggy unless you are running a high end machine.

HTML5 support on chrom, opera and firefox all beat IE 10 as far as i am aware.
http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html

Ulick

Quote from: nifan on November 16, 2012, 05:28:59 PM
Quote from: Ulick on November 15, 2012, 11:31:02 PM

HTML5 support on chrom, opera and firefox all beat IE 10 as far as i am aware.
http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html

Try playing this (www.contrejour.ie) in Firefox or Chrome and then try it in IE - 9 or 10. No comparison. Don't forget HTML5 standard hasn't been finalised yet so those browser test sites aren't really comparing the full spectrum of what will be in HTML5. IE is the only browser at the moment coming close to the breath of the canvas tag.

Main Street

What differences do you notice?
I tried that Contrejour (first game) on Mac OS  10.7.4 
The only noticeable difference between Chrome,  Safari and Firefox is with the loading.
Chrome loads in a flash, I barely notice the 'Loading' on Chrome,  whereas the other 2 take about 2 seconds to load.

Running Windows 7, Contrejour (first game) I don't notice much (if any) difference between Firefox and IE10

As an aside, I find IE to have the poorest user interface of the lot, by far.

Ulick

Forgot to say its a touchscreen HTML5 game. IE is by far the most responsive and fluid out of all the browsers.