Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Unless of course the motherboard is grand and it's the hard disk that's fécked.

Could be just the power supply that's burned out.

supersarsfields

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 06, 2012, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on August 06, 2012, 12:01:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone could help. my laptop had been playing up and was slowing down something serious. So I (thought) took a backup of all my files and was going to do a factory reset as thereb was a load of stuff on it that I never used. So did the reboot but my backup didn't work. I do have other backups but not the most recent. Is there anyway of getting the recent stuff back again or is it completely gone?

Did you actually do a reformat on your laptop - I mean have you wiped it. If not and it just won't start you can use a method called slipstreaming to get access. Before I spend time telling you how maybe first just confirm whether the machine was reformatted.

Hi Myles, Sorry only seeing this now. I did a reset factory settings on the system. So I'm assuming that's most likely a complete reformating? I wouldn't be too into my computer stuff so unsure if it means everything's gone for good?

mylestheslasher

You would have to bring it to a data recovery company, they will normally be able to salvage most files but you might lose the folder structure and file names so its a real pain to sort through it.

ThroughTheLaces

Folks, a little help please. Thinking of buying the new iPad, which has wifi and 4G. Where I am it does not have 4G, am I right in saying that 3G won't work here and I'd be better off buying the iPad 2 with 3G? Bit confused by it all.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

Armaghgeddon

While iPads are good I wouldn't buy one for the simple reason that it will be cosidered old after a year or so.

If you can't get 3g then you probably won't get 4g so you would be spending the extra money for no good reason.

take_yer_points

Quote from: ThroughTheLaces on August 25, 2012, 07:36:01 AM
Folks, a little help please. Thinking of buying the new iPad, which has wifi and 4G. Where I am it does not have 4G, am I right in saying that 3G won't work here and I'd be better off buying the iPad 2 with 3G? Bit confused by it all.

Do you have an iphone? I'd thought of getting a 3G ipad2 but went with the Wifi version instead - if I need to go online on the ipad for anything when I'm not in a wifi zone (not very often) I create a personal hotspot on my iPhone and join it on the ipad. That way you'll save money on not buying the more expensive 3G version and you don't need a separate data plan for the ipad.

On a separate note, I've noticed a few people on here using UK/Ireland based VPN services for accessing RTE player/Skygo etc... while not in the UK/Ireland. I was abroad last week and setup a VPN on my Windows 7 PC in the house. I had to leave it on while I was away but I was able to get it working and RTE player worked perfectly when I was away. Might save some of you a few quid as doing it yourself is free

mylestheslasher

Anyone know who's offering the best phone & broadband deals in the south. My line is only good to 3mb so no point me paying more for faster.

theticklemister

my youtube and iplayer have been running very slowly when the player gets enlarged and only runs normal when in small mode. anyone any ideas how to fix this?

theticklemister

Thank you Mac Eoghain ill have a look when I get home. I only have the 1 browser.

armaghniac

QuoteI only have the 1 browser.

Now there is a man with a trusting relationship with his other half!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

take_yer_points

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on September 01, 2012, 07:28:07 PM
Any techies know exactly in what directory in IOS 5 is Wallpaper stored, I have turned this iPhone 4S inside out and cant find it, Google isnt turning much up either.

var/stash/wallpaper.hjscDP/iPhone ?

Or I think library/wallpaper/iPhone will take you to the same location.

I'm not sure if that's what you're after or not

Jimmy

Anyone able to help me with a problem I'm having.

Got BT infinity installed. Works great for laptops, iPhones , iPads picking up decent signal where ever I'm at in the house. PC on the other hand seems to be struggling. It can pick up the wireless signal but no where near the down load speed of the other devices and the signal will drop off eventually.

I originally had to install a wireless card in order to make the PC wireless in the first place so my first theory is that the wireless card (Ralink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN card) is just not good enough for infinity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

boojangles

I have just bought a 2nd hand Sony Vaio laptop for college. It has Windows Vista home premium and I am trying to download Microsoft Office 2010 onto it from disc but I'm having problems. It seems I might need Windows 7. Will I have to purchase Windows 7 or is there another way around it? Any help would be appreciated.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Jimmy on September 18, 2012, 12:19:23 AM
Anyone able to help me with a problem I'm having.

Got BT infinity installed. Works great for laptops, iPhones , iPads picking up decent signal where ever I'm at in the house. PC on the other hand seems to be struggling. It can pick up the wireless signal but no where near the down load speed of the other devices and the signal will drop off eventually.

I originally had to install a wireless card in order to make the PC wireless in the first place so my first theory is that the wireless card (Ralink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN card) is just not good enough for infinity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

I would say that your wireless card is useless based on a quick google search. For my desktops I wire them straight to the router because wireless isn't really needed on it.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: boojangles on September 20, 2012, 03:07:29 PM
I have just bought a 2nd hand Sony Vaio laptop for college. It has Windows Vista home premium and I am trying to download Microsoft Office 2010 onto it from disc but I'm having problems. It seems I might need Windows 7. Will I have to purchase Windows 7 or is there another way around it? Any help would be appreciated.

Has the license already been used for microsoft office 2010?
It could be that old microsoft files are interferring with the installation and the Hard Disc Drive needs to be wiped.
I have not come across a problem with installing office software on Vista, dont think you need to buy windows 7.