Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I had a similar issue a while back and I cleaned out all temporary files, cookies, run antivirus and malware scans, reinstalled my wireless router etc. The thing that made most difference was uninstalling a bloody Lego game one of the children installed.

Just go through everything systematically if you haven't changed anything lately that is obvious.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 11, 2011, 10:16:14 AM
I had a similar issue a while back and I cleaned out all temporary files, cookies, run antivirus and malware scans, reinstalled my wireless router etc. The thing that made most difference was uninstalling a bloody Lego game one of the children installed.

Just go through everything systematically if you haven't changed anything lately that is obvious.
Do a Ctrl + alt + delete.

Go into Task Manager and select the processes tab.

Click on the top tab where it says "memory", do this again so that he largest figures are on the top, getting smaller going down the page. These are the processes that are hogging your memory. If you posted a screen shot of this or maybe just typed in the top 5/6 I'd say we would get to the bottom of it. As Tony says, most likely some annoying piece of software or some spyware.

Gaffer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 11, 2011, 12:01:26 PM

Click on the top tab where it says "memory", do this again so that he largest figures are on the top, getting smaller going down the page. These are the processes that are hogging your memory. If you posted a screen shot of this or maybe just typed in the top 5/6 I'd say we would get to the bottom of it. As Tony says, most likely some annoying piece of software or some spyware.

Just did that myself and found that the top two were the same' iexplorer,eve ' with 1 about 250.000 K and the other about 325,0000 K

Should there be only one of them?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Square Ball

some one one here remommended this, http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html
i used it and it got rid of a lot of gunk and tidied it up.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mylestheslasher

Gadget, that doesn't look right. Try and end those processes from within task manager. Close task manager, wait 10 mins and open it again and see have they reappeared. If they have I'd guess that you have spyware problem. If they stay gone I'd consider updating internet explorer to newest version.

Square Ball

Quote from: Gaffer on December 11, 2011, 12:10:56 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 11, 2011, 12:01:26 PM

Just did that myself and found that the top two were the same' iexplorer,eve ' with 1 about 250.000 K and the other about 325,0000 K

Should there be only one of them?
I have two running as well 1 is 8,228 and the other 233,340

bigfrank

with one internet window open the box reads:

iexplore.exe*32    31,192k
dwm.exe              19,864k
explorer.exe         14,164k
iexplorer.exe*32   5,284k

i have a total of 19 things on the list which even to me who dont know wat it all means...that seems alot..a few that seem weird are:

winlogin.exe
csrss.exe
igfxtray.exe

Square Ball

go on to google and put them in, it will tell you what they are and if they are needed. usually Bleeping computer gives you a good idea

Norf Tyrone

A friend gave me their laptop there as it's not powering up. I swopped the battery round with my own, but still no joy.

Any ideas technos?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fear ón Srath Bán

Could be any number of (internal) components or connections from the battery terminals onwards Norf -- it'll need to be opened up I'd say.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 02, 2012, 08:40:03 PM
A friend gave me their laptop there as it's not powering up. I swopped the battery round with my own, but still no joy.

Any ideas technos?

Any life in it at all, lights flashing or fans whizzing.

Hardy

Has anyone come across anything like this? A friend, who uses Facebook for business, has had it invaded by an app called "Click and Flirt" which is sending, shall we say inappropriate messages to her clients. She removes the app, but next time she logs in to Facebook  there it is again. It doesn't seem to be malware or a virus - Spybot, Malwarebytes and an AVG scan have found nothing.

I've logged into her account on my PC and there's no problem, which seems to indicate it's not Facebook related but is a problem on her PC.

She's running Google Chrome. There's nothing visible in Chrome, but could it be a Chrome app? Would it be worth uninstalling and re-installing Chrome? (Can't check this now or try it in another browser as she's temporarily without internet access due to a  fault.)

Any thoughts?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 02, 2012, 09:59:49 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 02, 2012, 08:40:03 PM

Any ideas technos?

Any life in it at all, lights flashing or fans whizzing.

Sorry lads. Meant to repost to say thanks.

Took it to one of the gurus at work. Motherboard is dead. RIP!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

FL/MAYO

Clouds of confusion as Galway councillor tells another to 'go f..k himself"

A GALWAY councillor has refused to apologise for swearing at a County Council committee meeting after he told a fellow councillor to "go **** himself" Local area councillor Seamus Tiernan made the amazing outburst after he wastold he was a "feckin eejit" for thinking that cloud computing was only suitable in areas with lots of rain. He had told the Infrastructure Committee meeting this week that his native Connemara would be ideal for cloud computing because it has heavy cloud cover for nine months of the year." The Independent councillor said that the Government should be doing more to harness clean industries for the Connemara area and he named wind energy and cloud computing as two obvious examples. "Connemara in particular could become a centre of excellence for wind energy harnessing, as it is open to the Atlantic. Also in terms of cloud computing, we have dense thick fog for nine months of the year, because of the mountain heights and the ability to harness this cloud power, there is tremendous scope for cloud computing to become a major employer in this region." However his mistake was pointed out by an incredulous Cllr Martin Shiels who said that "this is taking the biscuit. I've heard it all now. You must be a fecking eejit to think that the cloud computing had anything to do with climate." Cllr Tiernan took umbrage at the remarks of his colleague and called for them to be withdrawn. When Cllr Shields refused to do so, Tiernan said "go **** yourself, Cllr Shields." Chairman Sile Ni Baoill asked for both councillors to withdraw their comments, but Cllr Tiernan was repentant that Cllr Shields was wrong and that cloud computing is

Main Street

Apparently the UK Telegraph fell for that spoof, or was that another spoof?