Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: tyroneman on October 31, 2011, 08:50:03 PM
Dual boot?? Eh???

What does this mean and how do you get Linux installed?

I have been advised to save all my mp3 etc and reformat the PC as many of the windows programs seem damaged eg won't install updates even though anti virus scans showing the all clear.

Is this A bit extreme? Or better safe than sorry given how dangerous the viruses were??
Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download. Download on to your desktop. Copy on to a cd. Place cd into cd drive. Reboot your pc/laptop from the cd drive. You don't need to install it as you can try it from the cd. It is free. If you like you can install it from the cd.

I had installed on my old pc for a couple of years until it f**ked up and stopped working. It's not as pc friendly as it used to be. The system requirement have been upgraded. But if the pc is only 2 or 3 years old it'll work fine.

In the end I found an old copy of XP. Works fine.  :)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Just_Browsing

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 31, 2011, 05:26:17 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on October 31, 2011, 12:59:48 PM
Linux is just the operating system that runs how the computer works.  Its is not Microsoft so Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc won't work, you just get packages that are similar and do the same job.

The benefit of Liinux for internet use is that you wouldn't need Anti Virus ware or is that just an urban myth?

Why dont people use this rather than Microsoft products then?  Is this Linux stuff free to download or what?

Yeah its free to download and all the software from the download centre which is easy to use is free.  Most people have been too used to Microsoft products all there lives from using PC's probably first during school and have either neither heard of Linux or think its too complicated to use/install.  Dual boot means you just either pick when you turn on your machine whether you want to load windows or ubuntu.  The steps on the site are easy to follow.  And if you run into any problems there is a great forum -ubuntuforums.org - basically ask anything about any problems you are having on here and you get an answer quickly and again no charge.  for me personally Ive been using ubuntu now for 4 years and have no problems with it at all - always useful to have windows 7 on the laptop in case need to boot into it but 90% of the time I just load ubuntu.

tyroneman

Ok had to completely reformat my PC

As soon as I started  installing the BT total protection mcAfee a "windows security alert' popped up.

It has now disappeared and malwarebytes, ad aware and McAfee say the PC is clean.

Is this a genuine Windows Security Alert? I have seen a very similar virus but surely it couldn't have got on my PC so quickly - and now has gone once mcafee installed???

Or where has this gone?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tyroneman on November 06, 2011, 09:13:59 PM
Ok had to completely reformat my PC

As soon as I started  installing the BT total protection mcAfee a "windows security alert' popped up.

It has now disappeared and malwarebytes, ad aware and McAfee say the PC is clean.

Is this a genuine Windows Security Alert? I have seen a very similar virus but surely it couldn't have got on my PC so quickly - and now has gone once mcafee installed???

Or where has this gone?

It was probably an alert telling you that you had no anti virus software installed. Once it was installed Windows would recognise that and the warning would clear.

Minder

Having problems with Safari, when I click on a download link from a torrent site I get "Safari unexpectedly quit". Any ideas?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

I have a PDF file which has the print function disabled.

Is there any way to hack around it to print the document?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

Flash sites are telling me to install flash but i have it installed, Mac OS Lion, browser is Safari.

heganboy

Quote from: Orior on November 18, 2011, 12:24:27 PM
I have a PDF file which has the print function disabled.

Is there any way to hack around it to print the document?

printscreen is the easy option
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

bigfrank

Lately when i go to watch stuff on my laptop like red zone nfl on sunday evenings..bbc iplayer for the young apprentice and other various shows it buffers every few seconds and wont play continously..my laptop has very little memory in use other than footy manager..is there any free software i should have downloaded or upgraded...i am workin off a wireless internet connection but it usually aint too bad

Minder

Quote from: bigfrank on November 23, 2011, 07:19:41 PM
Lately when i go to watch stuff on my laptop like red zone nfl on sunday evenings..bbc iplayer for the young apprentice and other various shows it buffers every few seconds and wont play continously..my laptop has very little memory in use other than footy manager..is there any free software i should have downloaded or upgraded...i am workin off a wireless internet connection but it usually aint too bad

What speed is your broadband ?

Square Ball

not a problem but a question

can you figure out how much you download in a given month? I have three laptops, xbox live and a PS3. Just curious as I was think of moving to sky and the free one they offer may not be enought
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Minder

Quote from: Square Ball on December 10, 2011, 05:39:14 PM
not a problem but a question

can you figure out how much you download in a given month? I have three laptops, xbox live and a PS3. Just curious as I was think of moving to sky and the free one they offer may not be enought

BT let you check how much you have downloaded online. I think the free Sky one only let's you download about 5GB per month.

bigfrank

Quote from: Minder on November 23, 2011, 07:21:43 PM

Not quite sure minder..where should i look to find out? the simpleadblock software i was advised to use helped but only blocks 200 ads before it wants you to buy the real thing..so when i was watchin nfl off p2psports or somethin..no ads came up and i could watch the game alot better

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: bigfrank on December 11, 2011, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: Minder on November 23, 2011, 07:21:43 PM

Not quite sure minder..where should i look to find out? the simpleadblock software i was advised to use helped but only blocks 200 ads before it wants you to buy the real thing..so when i was watchin nfl off p2psports or somethin..no ads came up and i could watch the game alot better
Have you cleaned your temporary files recently? 

"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

bigfrank

I have cccleaner downloaded and run it from time to time..i just delete everything..nothing really on laptop to lose...i have to retype in my passwords etc but thats no big deal..