Computer Help

Started by Armagh Cúchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on October 26, 2011, 07:58:16 PM
Anyone know/link where I could get Microsoft Word free?
Some of ye Nordies are ungrateful feckers who haven't the manners to say thanks when a fellow board member goes out of their way to offer assistance to directly answering their questions. Tyrone Exile being the latest example of this rampant display of bad manners.

Now you are trying to entrap us.

bennydorano

Thanks for taking the time to help me cheat microsoft. :P Speedboats order of the day round the Moy? Out past it today, looking well. Yourselves & Collegeland should diversify into the Water Polo during the Autumn/Winter.

bennydorano

Had a phonecall from some shitpots trying to sell my some IT clean up package (a distrubing phonecall that I am complaining about btw).  It did highlight a lot 'Registry' errors and warnings (400odd), they reckon my laptop could crash at any minute. I found out after about 30 minutes of messing about that they were trying to flog me - 1 click Pc fix along with some support package for an unmissable one of fee of £280 ::), and without the theatrics and underhandedness of the call I might have bought it, but anyway - is it worth it ?  Are there any free versions (I have CCleaner already) or alternatives.  Thanks in advance to the contributors who feel unloved. :)

Sandy Hill

I have AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 on my computer which I think, tends to slow things down? Have been offered a year's free subscription to McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2012 with a second year for £24.99. Any suggestions on whether it would be wise to change?
"Stercus accidit"

tyroneman

Any idea how to get rid of Win32.PMax.gen and Win32.ZAccess.e ???

They have stopped all my anti-virus software form running and apparantly are very damgerous, near impossible to get rid of.

All help welcome please...

I have been advised to try Combofix but then various tutorials suggest this is for real techie folks only (i.e. not me) - anyoine know if it can be isedn by a real know nothing?

tyroneman

Ok. Ran rkill. Ran TDSS Killer. Neither worked. Ad aware, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, McAfee etc all blocked.

Also tried system restore to various points. Again no good.

Eventually managed to get Avast going at the boot up stage.

Finally seemed to do the job. (serious crossed fingers)

Tried rkill and TDSS again and both worked ok with no sign of the 2 viruses.

Reinstalled Malwarebytes and am now running full system scan to see what happens.

Will run all my other anti viruses after that and hopefully that's that.

Just_Browsing

I would recommend anyone if its there own personal laptop/pc to just run Linux on it (ubuntu is the one I use personally).  You dont have to worry about any Anti-Virus software.  :)

tbrick18

Quote from: bennydorano on October 26, 2011, 07:58:16 PM
Anyone know/link where I could get Microsoft Word free?

Use google docs....online word processor.
The docs it create are MS Word compatible so if you needed to give your doc to someone with word they could open it.

shezam

Use OpenOffice - does everything you should need.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on October 30, 2011, 04:49:07 PM
To Benny & Sandy Hill.

Not wise on both counts.

Sandy - McAfee can be a drain on resources too. I am personally running Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Lavasoft Ad-Aware - all free and touch wood great so far. NO software is 100% guaranteed to keep malware/viruses at bay but those 3 will catch 99% of any shite.

Benny - cant believe you wasted half an hour of your life on that call - I use Advanced SystemCare Free - touch wood hasnt wrecked anything on me yet.

Thanks Mac; I'm currently running Microsoft Security, AVG 2011 and Spybot Search and Destroy and so far so good. It was suggested to me that McAfee didn't slow things as much as AVG does but I'm not a computer expert and so will defer to your superior knowledge!

Just Browsing, don't understand what Linux does or would replace--thanks anyway.
"Stercus accidit"

Denn Forever

Linux is just the operating system that runs how the computer works.  Its is not Microsoft so Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc won't work, you just get packages that are similar and do the same job.

The benefit of Liinux for internet use is that you wouldn't need Anti Virus ware or is that just an urban myth?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

bennydorano

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on October 30, 2011, 04:49:07 PM
To Benny & Sandy Hill.

Not wise on both counts.

Sandy - McAfee can be a drain on resources too. I am personally running Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Lavasoft Ad-Aware - all free and touch wood great so far. NO software is 100% guaranteed to keep malware/viruses at bay but those 3 will catch 99% of any shite.

Benny - cant believe you wasted half an hour of your life on that call - I use Advanced SystemCare Free - touch wood hasnt wrecked anything on me yet.
Uninstall CCleaner than if I downlad ASC?

Just_Browsing

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 31, 2011, 12:59:48 PM
Linux is just the operating system that runs how the computer works.  Its is not Microsoft so Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc won't work, you just get packages that are similar and do the same job.

The benefit of Liinux for internet use is that you wouldn't need Anti Virus ware or is that just an urban myth?

Correct - ubuntu comes with OpenOffice already on it - you can do everything with it that you can with word and you can save your documents in all the formats .doc etc so you can still work on them with Microsoft if needed.  Its correct you dont need virus software - the main reason is that Linux wont allow any programs to download/run in the background with the user authorizing them to do so with password.

You can go here http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/ if you want to see what ubuntu is like.  The only negative with it is that iTunes doesnt work on it - I have iPod and quite collection of music in iTunes library so i could made my computer dual boot and can decide on startup whether to load windows or load Linux - the best of both worlds.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 31, 2011, 12:59:48 PM

Why dont people use this rather than Microsoft products then?  Is this Linux stuff free to download or what? 

tyroneman

Dual boot?? Eh???

What does this mean and how do you get Linux installed?

I have been advised to save all my mp3 etc and reformat the PC as many of the windows programs seem damaged eg won't install updates even though anti virus scans showing the all clear.

Is this A bit extreme? Or better safe than sorry given how dangerous the viruses were??