Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold tea

Can anyone tell me how to boot a windows xp computer up in dos?

Billys Boots

If I remember correctly, you had to switch on the computer and hold down F5 (for HP computers anyway) while Windows was booting and the DOS selection menu would come up.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BenDover

any recommendations for free software to convert downloaded movies to dvd?

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

EC Unique

OK people. I am far from a computer wiz so please talk in language I can understand. Lately my computer has become very slow at opening pages, downloading etc. How do I speed it up again. I have deleted any un-needed files, photos etc but no improvement. I have deleted cookies but also no change. What can I do bar buy a new PC? Thanks.

armaghniac

When you say slow, do you mean slow when the Internet is involved or slow even when the Internet is not involved, e.g. when it is not connected at all and you open a Word file.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Sounds like the slowness is not just with the computer.

How many actually reply back and say thanks for replying, or thanks for the advice, that worked grand?

BenDover

Quote from: gerry on October 09, 2011, 07:54:11 AM
Quote from: BenDover on October 08, 2011, 11:46:09 PM
any recommendations for free software to convert downloaded movies to dvd?

http://extratorrent.com/torrent/2512706/ConvertXtoDVD.v4.1.19.365c%2Bserial.html

great bit of kit and easy to use
Cheers Gerry! on a side note I tried using a DVD-R disc to burn a movie to but ConvertXtoDVD never recognised the disc do I have to use DVD+ type discs?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on October 10, 2011, 12:51:13 AM
Sounds like the slowness is not just with the computer.

How many actually reply back and say thanks for replying, or thanks for the advice, that worked grand?
You've met EC?

EC Unique

Quote from: armaghniac on October 09, 2011, 02:31:11 PM
When you say slow, do you mean slow when the Internet is involved or slow even when the Internet is not involved, e.g. when it is not connected at all and you open a Word file.

Both but maybe more evident whilst doing stuff online.

J OGorman

J OGorman

Quote from: EC Unique on October 10, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Im assuming you have AV software running. When a computer is running slow, hit ctrl + alt + del. Select task manager. Click the 'process' column a couple of times until the processes using most cpu power are @ the top. You may have a process hogging all the power needlessly.

Worth running malwarebytes also, great a picking up rogue apps etc running in the background

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

see how that goes

EC Unique

Quote from: J OGorman on October 10, 2011, 10:43:41 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 10, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Im assuming you have AV software running. When a computer is running slow, hit ctrl + alt + del. Select task manager. Click the 'process' column a couple of times until the processes using most cpu power are @ the top. You may have a process hogging all the power needlessly.

Worth running malwarebytes also, great a picking up rogue apps etc running in the background

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

see how that goes

Thanks. I will try that. ;)

Boycey

that malware bytes is a good yoke alright.

This does a kind of MOT of your machine... It'll remove are junk/temperory files etc and give everything a bit of a springclean if you like..

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

EC Unique

I run both of the above and has def made a difference.

Thanks lads. :)