Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

But if it was a channel issue how come the DS can connect ok?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

amallon

I have seen this problem a few times.  Usually updating the drivers for your wireless adapter sort it.  Right click on My Computer and select properties. If you on XP click the hardware tab and select device manager.  If you are on Vista/Win7 just click device manager on the right hand side.  When in device manager expand Network Adapters.  Right click on your wifi adapter and select update driver.  Allow it to download the latest driver from the net.  Make sure you are connected to the net before you do this.  Hopefully Windows update will have a new driver for your device otherwise you would have too start looking on the manufacturers website.  If you are still having problems get it looked at by a professional, I know a good one!  ;)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

pintsofguinness

Thanks - though the other thing is it will connect to some shitty BT network (you know the sort you get in airports and that, I must be near something that has it) so it will connect to a network - just not the one it's suppose to. Would this still suggest the driver problem?

amallon

In my experience it can be to do with the type of security a wifi network is using.  Some networks will work some won't, updating the drivers is usually a good bet.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

pintsofguinness

Ok thanks, will give it a go at weekend.

mylestheslasher

Pints - Is your router one of the new N Type (Old ones were type G or B). N Type give better signal strength but has been known to cause some problems with older devices. I got a new modem from my internet service provider that worked with 3 devices in my house but not my own smart phone, had the same issue as you describe. Had to buy another one. So, is your modem new?

pintsofguinness

I dont know what type the router is but it's not six months old - the laptop is about 8 months old. 
When you open up the wireless networks it has full bars - I do sit only about ten ft from the router normally. 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 30, 2010, 01:33:50 PM
I dont know what type the router is but it's not six months old - the laptop is about 8 months old. 
When you open up the wireless networks it has full bars - I do sit only about ten ft from the router normally.

Wouldn't matter, you could have full bars and still not be able to access the net. Try the latest drivers of the router and try changing the channels and if that dont work it could be the problem above. Is your router Netscape? Can you post the model name?

pintsofguinness

mylestheslasher

Yip - same as what I had. Found there support pure shit and I would be money it is the same problem as mine had. I doubt it is the channels. Can you return it and get another. Belkin seem much more reliable. For me I had an old BT one and I am with UTV internet. They offered me a New free modem when I upgraded the package telling me the old BT one was known to cause problems but the bloody Netgear one was way worse. Searched online for weeks trying to sort it out and ended up just jacking it and buying a new one.

pintsofguinness

Aye, how long would I need to spend on the phone to the stupid c***ts in virgin to get that. 

I've actually got two others, one I got from virgin the first time and one I had from O2. Do you have to reset them or soemthing though to get them to work?

mylestheslasher

There is a couple of settings, username and password that u will need. You should be able to get them from your isp. It's a big pain in the hole.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 30, 2010, 09:12:58 PM
There is a couple of settings, username and password that u will need. You should be able to get them from your isp. It's a big pain in the hole.
Be turning on and off the router for the near future then...

Still don't understand how the DSI will connect but the laptop won't during these times...

mylestheslasher

I suppose they call it a compatibility problem

Square Ball

tell me this, has anyone received any calls from some firm stating they are an authorised Windows operating system company and are wanting to know about your computer? I have got a few, got one this morning and this fella asked me how long it took my computer to boot up, I told him it was hard to say, but its an oldish computer so would be slower than newer ones, he then replied very ignorantly I didn't ask that, please answer the question Mr Ball, I hung up.

But did anyone get any calls, seems its about a file or something like that
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid