Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Boycey on December 18, 2018, 01:17:10 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 18, 2018, 01:08:01 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 18, 2018, 12:35:38 PM
It'll probably get lost in the maelstom today but Utd beat Chelsea 4-3 in the Youth Cup last night, 1st time Chelsea have been beaten in 6 seasons  :o

Mason Greenwood who has been mentioned on here regularly got this hat-trick.
https://twitter.com/MxZvGx_/status/1074784862186430464?s=19

I've mentioned Greenwood a fair bit on here recently as I don't think he's far away from the first team. I know they've got to be careful given he's only just turned 17 but he's exceptional, he was probably one of the younger players on the pitch last night but stood out a mile.

I know from people who know a lot more than me that everyone seems to think he's the best talent to come through the academy system in England since Rooney.

Looks like a diamond but way too young, I see boys today looking for him to play up top for the 1st team..

Plenty of the coaches within United's academy think he's ready for it.

Helix.

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2018, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 18, 2018, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 18, 2018, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 18, 2018, 11:08:46 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 18, 2018, 11:06:08 AM
Someone like Laurent Blanc until the end of the season to steady the ship might work given that Zidane looks unlikely now at this stage. There is still a CL and FA cup to play for, top 4 is now very unlikely and whoever takes the job will not be under any major pressure as long as they play attacking football and give the fans a bit of excitement. Then go for Pocchetino in the summer

From what I can recall Blanc's teams aren't great to watch. As for Zidane don't want him anywhere near the club.

Why so?

I'm intrigued too....from someone who advocated for and tolerated that sc**bag Mourinho I'd love to know what's so offputting about Zidane.

Just think he'll be out of his depth, he did a brilliant job for Real Madrid but knew the club inside out and inherited a brilliant set of players; Comfortably the best starting 11 in Europe.

I'm desperately hoping a director of football comes in now, that allows you to replace managers regularly without as much disruption.

His familiarity with Madrid was surely a huge help but I wouldn't be as fearful as you on Zidane. Bar Larry White no legitimate contender will know the club well. Also - while the team/squad does need strengthening, I think it's nowhere near as bad as it has looked.

Director of Football is badly wanted though.

The sooner they get a director of football and keep Woodward away from the decision making the better. Let him stick to the commercial side!

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2018, 01:24:13 PM
It'll probably get lost in the maelstom today but Utd beat Chelsea 4-3 in the Youth Cup last night, 1st time Chelsea have been beaten in 6 seasons  :o

Ya, mentioned it a bit earlier. Great to see and most likely Greenwood won't now have to endure the public criticism the likes of Martial and Rashford did when he comes into the first team mix. Andy mitten saying he was the start of United's U8's.....when he was 5.

Breath out Seanie it's over, 'ding dong the witch is dead'  ;)

seafoid

So the Glazer clusterfuck goes on and it's not Mourinho's fault any more.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jeepers Creepers

Cardiff game at the weekend will be interesting re lineup and effort

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on December 18, 2018, 01:35:15 PM

Ya, mentioned it a bit earlier. Great to see and most likely Greenwood won't now have to endure the public criticism the likes of Martial and Rashford did when he comes into the first team mix. Andy mitten saying he was the start of United's U8's.....when he was 5.

Don't be so disappointed. This is a good day.

BennyCake

Don't see the sense in this. Who's going to do any better between now and end of season?

Unless they bring in someone proven like Zidane, Ancelotti, Simeone etc, this sacking was pointless.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on December 18, 2018, 02:06:47 PM
Don't see the sense in this. Who's going to do any better between now and end of season?

Unless they bring in someone proven like Zidane, Ancelotti, Simeone etc, this sacking was pointless.

The fans didn't want him and the players didn't want him. So removing him is far from pointless. The course of United's season might not change an awful lot without him, but getting fans, media, sponsors back onside can only be a good move.

AZOffaly

Did I hear that the Saudis were going to buy United?

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2018, 01:58:14 PM

Not disappointed at all, that was my poor attempt at humour  :-[

I hope ur right and that a change of manager is the answer, at the very least we should get a 'dead cat bounce'  ;D but I think the problem is more institutional. Hope not though...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on December 18, 2018, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2018, 01:58:14 PM

Not disappointed at all, that was my poor attempt at humour  :-[

I hope ur right and that a change of manager is the answer, at the very least we should get a 'dead cat bounce'  ;D but I think the problem is more institutional. Hope not though...

Similarly poor attempt at humour back!

Change of manager is part of the answer....agree there are many other issues. This was the single biggest problem though and for me was such a egregious one that shouldn't have happened. So I'm relieved today and happy to see the back of him.

Boycey

Betting markets are changing so fast that obviously nobody has a clue what's happening. Blanc was odds on the last time I looked now he's joint favourite at 3/1 with Ole..

Not sure about Ole but he does fit the 'steeped in the tradition of Man Utd' line better than Blanc?

tiempo

Roy Keane until end of the season, whoever they get for next season needs to be signed off asap and let that person get an overview of the camp privately for a few months without any announcements, let him and the club (not Woodward, possibly a trusted football contact) work to get the squad they want for start of next season, they need to stop getting robbed in the transfer market as a priority, a lot of players to ship out in the summer, plan for Europa League football next year which basically means loads of meaningless games and a fucky schedule. They need a squad of 18-20 players to focus on a 38 game season with CL qualification being the priority, sack off the low grade cups (all cups) and if get CL then grow the squad that summer. They're fucked if they keep on with anything like they've been at since Fergie left, terrible appointments worse transfers.

trailer

An authoritative figure is what is required. Someone who behind the scenes can whip those players into line. Too many messing about. Whoever it is needs to stamp his authority and control on the dressing room, hence a few big names must be sacrificed. Ferguson was excellent at getting control. JM has let those young players treat the whole situation like its a summer camp.
Linguard & Pogba the two ring leaders. They need disappeared.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/timeline-of-jos%C3%A9-mourinho-s-doomed-man-united-tenure-1.3735223

Timeline of José Mourinho's doomed Man United tenure

Three trophies came along the way but the rot had set in over the last few months

Manchester United have announced that manager Jose Mourinho has ended his two-and-a-half year spell at the club.

Here, we look at a timeline of the ups and downs of 55-year-old's tenure at Old Trafford.

May 27, 2016 — Appointed as Manchester United manager, replacing Louis van Gaal.

August 7, 2016 — Wins first silverware at United with a 2-1 victory over Premier League champions Leicester in the Community Shield at Wembley, new signing Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores the winner.

September 11, 2016 — Defeat to old foe Pep Guardiola in the pair's first derby clash in England as Manchester City win 2-1 at Old Trafford.

October 23, 2016 — A 4-0 thrashing at the hands of former club Chelsea on his return to Stamford Bridge.

October 29, 2016 — Sent to the stands at half-time for protesting a decision against his side in a 0-0 home draw against Burnley.

February 26, 2017 — Ibrahimovic scores twice as the Red Devils beat Southampton 3-2 to lift the EFL Cup — Mourinho becomes the first United manager to win silverware in his debut season at the club.

Related Manchester United to appoint caretaker after sacking José Mourinho 
Ken Early: Mourinho is the manager Manchester United deserve 

May 21, 2017 — Ends Premier League season with home win against Crystal Palace as United finish sixth, 24 points behind champions Chelsea.

May 24, 2017 — Guides United to the Europa League with a 2-0 victory over Ajax in Stockholm.

August 8, 2017 — 2-1 defeat to former club Real Madrid in the Super Cup, new signing Romelu Lukaku scores the consolation.

October 21, 2017 — A 13-match unbeaten run across all competitions to start the season ends with a 2-1 loss at newly-promoted Huddersfield.

December 20, 2017 — A 2-1 quarter-final defeat at Sky Bet Championship side Bristol City ends United's hopes of retaining the Carabao Cup.

January 26, 2018 — Signs a new contract to remain as United boss until 2020, with the option of a further year.

March 13, 2018 — Sevilla knock United out of the Champions League at the round of 16 stage, winning 2-1 at Old Trafford after a goalless first leg in Spain.

April 7, 2018 — Paul Pogba scores twice and Chris Smalling gets the winner as United come from two goals behind to win 3-2 at Manchester City and prevent Guardiola's side securing the Premier League title in the derby.

May 12, 2018 — Rui Faria announces he will quit as Mourinho's assistant at the end of the season, the pair having worked together at various clubs since 2002.

May 19, 2018 — FA Cup final defeat against Chelsea as Eden Hazard's penalty secures a 1-0 win for the Blues.

August 27, 2018 — Defeat at Brighton in the second game of the season is followed up by a 3-0 loss at home to Tottenham — the worst home defeat of Mourinho's career.

September 29, 2018 — A five-match unbeaten run in all competitions was abruptly ended with a 3-1 defeat to West Ham at the London Stadium.

November 11, 2018 — Three straight wins, including an incredible 2-1 comeback victory at Juventus, looked to put Mourinho's side back in form but they fell to a 3-1 derby defeat at Manchester City to pile the pressure back on the Portugese manager.

December 16, 2018 — A last-gasp 1-0 win at home to Young Boys saw United qualify for the Champions League knockout stages gave Mourinho a stay of execution, but a final matchday loss at Valencia was followed by a heavy 3-1 reverse to Liverpool at Anfield cranked up the pressure.

December 18, 2018 — Just two days after their first defeat in nine league matches against their north-west rivals, Manchester United announced the Portuguese was sacked by the club on  Tuesday morning.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU