No more evictions!

Started by Rossfan, December 16, 2018, 05:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Aaron Boone on December 18, 2018, 12:40:52 AM
Be interesting to see how many resources the Guards throw at the investigation.
The vigilante's phones would have pinged off the nearest mast at 5am on Sunday morning. And there's bound to be a CCTV camera in Tulsk and Strokestown, say at the local credit union.

But that takes time & money to investigate and there's been many cutbacks in rural policing.

You've been watching far too much CSI.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Orchard park on December 17, 2018, 10:49:13 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 17, 2018, 10:13:17 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on December 17, 2018, 10:07:27 PM
5)

Mayo4sam who thinks Anthony McCann is a developer....

Not many farmers around Mayo with five properties, maybe I'm doing it wrong

5 folios.....

There might  not be an acre in each of the.

But trust me the mcganns aren't developers.... farmers in debt yes

Fair enough, you claim they're farmers. Can you explain what they were invoicing to rise VAT of at least €177k? Unless you're a registered company, which it makes no reference to, a farmer would have no need to be registered for VAT, it would make no sense financially
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on December 18, 2018, 02:13:35 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on December 18, 2018, 12:40:52 AM
Be interesting to see how many resources the Guards throw at the investigation.
The vigilante's phones would have pinged off the nearest mast at 5am on Sunday morning. And there's bound to be a CCTV camera in Tulsk and Strokestown, say at the local credit union.

But that takes time & money to investigate and there's been many cutbacks in rural policing.

You've been watching far too much CSI.

You have to understand that in strokestown they are more accustomed to investigating old whistle thefts than mobile phones pinging off masts.

Or maybe I can see it now... Gary Sinese is Constable Seamus O'Shaugnessy in CSI: Strokestown.

brokencrossbar1

I have great sympathy for any person who loses their house but I have to say that sometimes you need to sit back and look at things. Maths may not be my greatest thing but the Revenue got an judgement against this man for over €400k. Of that €177k was under declared VAT,  not undeclared but under declared so he obviously declared a significant amount too. That would suggest to me that over a period of time this man had been turning over a significant amount of 'farming' transactions to accumulate that level of VAT. The reality is if you don't pay your way you have to pay the price. The sickening correlations people are making to the 1880's is a disgusting red herring in my eyes. If this man hasn't paid his way, which seems to be the case, then he is stealing a euro or more from the pocket of every single person who is paying their taxes and paying their mortgages.

The use of this security firm and their tactics is a totally separate issue in my opinion and there should be stronger licensing requirements for these types of organisations with a strong emphasis on mediation as opposed to strong arm in my humble opinion. The reality is though the farmer here in this case is not the man to be hanging the flag on in terms of garnering sympathy.

gallsman

The reporting of his "financial difficulties" is somewhat misleading too. Not handing over VAT you've collected isn't financial difficulty, it's fraud.

seafoid

This case must have set back the UI cause
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

These kinds of things are always interesting to see who is on which side of the argument
People from the 4th green field are more likely to go with order while Connachtaigh are not .

The family seem to have asked for time to sort out the money. Maybe the bank tore the arse out of it

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/siblings-regain-possession-of-roscommon-home-following-eviction-1.3734658
Confirming that one of the McGann brothers and their sister, Geraldine had returned, a family friend, Donal Hanley, said they wanted to take their home back. The financial issues that led to the eviction are "a private matter", he said.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Franko

Quote from: Rossfan on December 16, 2018, 05:16:52 PM
I suspect we won't see any more evictions in Co Roscommon.
"Security personnel" - bucks with Northern accents saying they're  "British" >:(

Amazing how quick some are to defend the use of violence here but will be straight up on the high horse the minute violence is mentioned in the north.

People in the north had this kind of thing happen to themselves and their neighbours on a regular basis.  The difference being

1. The perpetrators were the state security forces, not some private crowd of ex services mercenary goons
2. They didn't owe any money to anyone

FWIW, I reckon the tactics were a bit heavy handed, but if the figures are correct, the lads had to go.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 18, 2018, 07:55:06 AM
I have great sympathy for any person who loses their house but I have to say that sometimes you need to sit back and look at things. Maths may not be my greatest thing but the Revenue got an judgement against this man for over €400k. Of that €177k was under declared VAT,  not undeclared but under declared so he obviously declared a significant amount too. That would suggest to me that over a period of time this man had been turning over a significant amount of 'farming' transactions to accumulate that level of VAT. The reality is if you don't pay your way you have to pay the price. The sickening correlations people are making to the 1880's is a disgusting red herring in my eyes. If this man hasn't paid his way, which seems to be the case, then he is stealing a euro or more from the pocket of every single person who is paying their taxes and paying their mortgages.

The use of this security firm and their tactics is a totally separate issue in my opinion and there should be stronger licensing requirements for these types of organisations with a strong emphasis on mediation as opposed to strong arm in my humble opinion. The reality is though the farmer here in this case is not the man to be hanging the flag on in terms of garnering sympathy.

Excellent post
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

sid waddell

I've been amazed at the staunch partitionist mentality among those that are supporting the McGanns.

Strangely enough, a lot of these people claim to be "nationalists" or "Republicans".

Seems they're anything but.

Rossfan

Mcs back in their house, Crowd guard the house overnight.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on December 18, 2018, 09:11:37 AM
Switch off the electricity supply, either they can spend Christmas at one of their other four properties, or they can stew in the cold for the next two weeks the same way they let local businesses stew because they couldn't be bothered paying them, move back in first thing in the new year.

manfromdelmonte

What actual business did your man have?

what was he buying and selling?

trailer

They actually have the means to clear their debt but they won't. Just think about that. 4 houses, a farm of land. These are exactly the type of people who have contributed to the homeless crisis in Ireland. They've acquired property as an investment. Taking it out the hands of people who could raise families in those homes. They've drove up property prices and they haven't bother to pay the loans.
Is this what being Irish in in 2018? IMO there's only a thin veneer of Irishness painted over these people. This stinks of planter mentality to me.

Orchard park

Quote from: sid waddell on December 18, 2018, 09:24:36 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 18, 2018, 09:11:37 AM
Switch off the electricity supply, either they can spend Christmas at one of their other four properties, or they can stew in the cold for the next two weeks the same way they let local businesses stew because they couldn't be bothered paying them, move back in first thing in the new year.

one local business Hanly brothers who knows more about court orders than any other business in the west unpaid ( google Alan or Bertie Hanly and your sympathy might be misplaced)........or are you aware of any others
what 4 other properties ????  Folios refer to land plot not to another house