LCohen

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 07, 2018, 03:52:59 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 07, 2018, 02:39:55 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 07, 2018, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 02, 2018, 11:03:39 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 02, 2018, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 02, 2018, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Therealdonald on May 01, 2018, 08:52:48 PM
I'd imagine most men are off the same opinion as myself...it's a woman's body, let the women vote and decide what to do. What i don't understand is why players from the occupied six are putting in their tuppence when we can't vote in it.

But it's not just the woman's body. It's also some man's unborn child - some men mightn't know about it, some mightn't care, some might want it aborted, and some might be very happy at the prospect of having the child.
It's not just a woman's body issue as if it was a boob job ffs.
+1
Ultimately, yes, it is a woman's body issue.

What you're saying is that if a woman does not want a foetus in her womb, she should have no say over the matter and be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.

No, it isn't. The woman's appendix is her body, her ear is her body, the baby is the baby's body.
A 12 week old foetus is not a baby.

A baby is a baby.

Does the Roman Catholic Church offer funerals for zygotes? Do zygotes which are aborted by a pill go to heaven?

Or do they go to "limbo", as the Roman Catholic Church used to tell us?

Or is it only zygotes and foetuses aborted after April 20th, 2007, when the Roman Catholic Church abandoned the concept of "limbo", which go to heaven rather than limbo?

Do you celebrate your birthday or your conception day?

If you celebrate the former, shouldn't you really be celebrating the latter if you're being consistent?

A 12 week old foetus, same as a 1 hour old embryo is.... a human being.

It will become a baby, enfant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult.

Not sure what theology has to do with this, looks like some sort of feebly attempt at a strawman.

When does become  a human baby?

The Boy Wonder

See contribution to Citizens' Assembly by Dr Helen Watt, Senior Research Fellow, Anscombe Bioethics Centre, Oxford
https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Meetings/Dr-Helen-Watt-Paper.pdf

LCohen

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on May 13, 2018, 10:22:31 AM
See contribution to Citizens' Assembly by Dr Helen Watt, Senior Research Fellow, Anscombe Bioethics Centre, Oxford
https://www.citizensassembly.ie/en/Meetings/Dr-Helen-Watt-Paper.pdf

Everything hinges on the word "broadly" and therefore hinges on 2 questions

1) Does her evidence actually reflect the broad agreement?
2) does broad agreement equate to proof?

Me thinks a more nuanced contribution might me required than that of Dr Watt.

The Boy Wonder

Without doubt there will be differing opinions on this subject - I just posted the above link as one particular viewpoint.
Only a Divine Being (or Sid) could give a conclusive answer as to exactly when human life begins.

LCohen

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on May 13, 2018, 01:57:46 PM
Without doubt there will be differing opinions on this subject - I just posted the above link as one particular viewpoint.
Only a Divine Being (or Sid) could give a conclusive answer as to exactly when human life begins.

Completely understand that you were just posting the link. And it was worth posting.

If we are to run with Dr Watts contention that every fertilised egg is a human life then the failure to implant any fertilised egg in an IVF clinic is murder. That could be a couple who engage in IVF to have a child and end up with a crop of 8 or 18 fertilised egg if varying viability who decide to implant say 2 eggs. Are the No campaign protesting outside fertility clinics, campaigning against state support of IVF and denouncing the users of IVF from the pulpit and GAA grounds? Presumably they are if all human life is equal and human life commences at fertilisation?

sid waddell

Another outstanding late intervention from Kevin McManamon. Always one of Dublin's most articulate and thoughtful representatives.

https://twitter.com/kevmc15/status/996403415172505600

Rossfan

He had as many votes as anyone else.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

I'm undecided on which way to vote and having watched the debate the other night on Clare Byrne it appears that the legislation proposed is unclear?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

http://www.thejournal.ie/eight-repeal-legislation-3925410-Mar2018/

The government has already signalled that, if repealed, legislation would be introduced to allow for abortion up to 12 weeks of pregnancy.

The general scheme that Harris is bringing to Cabinet is understood to be in line with the policy paper brought to Cabinet earlier this month.

It is set to propose to make terminations lawful where an appropriate medical practitioner has certified that the pregnancy has not exceeded 12 weeks.

A period of 72 hours must elapse between certification and the termination being carried out.

Beyond that period of pregnancy, termination will only be available in exceptional circumstances, such as the risk of serious harm to the health or life of the woman, in emergency situations, or in cases of fatal foetal abnormality.

In all other circumstances, abortion will remain unlawful after 12 weeks.

In cases were there is a risk to the life, or of serious harm to the health, of a woman termination would not be lawful beyond viability.

The viability of a foetus would be assessed and agreed by two doctors, one of whom would be an obstetrician or gynaecologist.

If viability is established and the pregnancy is ended on health grounds then it will be done through early delivery, with a full medical team on hand.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stephenite

Will there/or can there be any sanctions against these individuals for their wanton attempt to use the GAA as a vehicle to influence the outcome of this decision?

longballin

Quote from: stephenite on May 26, 2018, 10:21:15 AM
Will there/or can there be any sanctions against these individuals for their wanton attempt to use the GAA as a vehicle to influence the outcome of this decision?

Dismal failure as far as that goes. They are not as important as they think they are.

Syferus

Quote from: stephenite on May 26, 2018, 10:21:15 AM

Being in Round 1 and drawing Mayo would be sanction enough for the man who walks on water.

Whishtup

I, for one, am ashamed with Harte et al in pushing their ill-informed, simplistic, agenda on this issue.  And another thing, The Irish News  should really consider what extremist advertising they allow after seeing a corner of a page devoted to a rosary schedule to keep the 8th(no sh1t!)  ...with links to Harte etc's videos on the issue.  As a Tyrone fan, the sooner we get a manager who stays away from this stuff, the better, so I wouldn't be broken hearted to see Tyrone knocked out before the super 8's, with the stench of the 8th ammendment  stlll lingering.

befair

Quote from: Whishtup on May 26, 2018, 10:15:24 PM
I, for one, am ashamed with Harte et al in pushing their ill-informed, simplistic, agenda on this issue.  And another thing, The Irish News  should really consider what extremist advertising they allow after seeing a corner of a page devoted to a rosary schedule to keep the 8th(no sh1t!)  ...with links to Harte etc's videos on the issue.  As a Tyrone fan, the sooner we get a manager who stays away from this stuff, the better, so I wouldn't be broken hearted to see Tyrone knocked out before the super 8's, with the stench of the 8th ammendment  stlll lingering.

A victory for Irish women; this is the last generation that will have to "take the boat." Mickey Harte's opinion is not as important as he thinks it is

BennyCake

There was nothing wrong with Mickey Harte's views on the referendum. It was using the GAA name that was the issue.

While Harte shouldn't have used the GAA in that way, I also think Varadkar shouldn't have used his position to advocate for a Yes vote. He would have had more sway with voters than Harte would. I find that worse than what Harte did.