St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Teeling Gael

Thats interesting on the relegation Seanie. Not a year to remember for CCC though they will point to all club competition been finished by mid October in their defence. The relegation been the biggest issue but also the cancellation of the 10 day rule , their failure to schedule the last round of the leagues until the championship been over which could have had a catastrophic effect on promotion/ relegation, Their decision on O Gaels postponement withCoolaney , pitch choices for championship matches, calling off matches for intercounty minor matches and the making of relegation draws before the last round of league stage of championship rendering some teams better off losing matches  are all issues that I felt were incorrectly handled by CCC.

In my view there are 2 many league matches and not enough championship matches in Sligo Adult Football and a root and branch review of all club fixtures is needed.

Owenmoresider

U20 - not the worst draw, although Farnan's will be tough, and may be on a roll if they win on Sunday. Still this team can repeat the Minor success if they don't f**k it up like what happened last year.

Re the leagues - IMO when it goes back to 12-12-whatever (and it's going to be some cull next year), they should do the same with the league, and tie the two together. None of this 'league and c'ship are seperate' horseshit, if John's and Mullinabreena can't stay up in the league it's their problem, but scrape a win in c'ship every year and they would be sound. Ridiculous.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Teeling Gael on October 08, 2007, 02:13:48 PM

In my view there are 2 many league matches and not enough championship matches in Sligo Adult Football and a root and branch review of all club fixtures is needed.
This is a good point, i couldnt believe that in the sligo league teams play each other home and away, i play in mayo and we would never fit all these games in at all.

paddypastit

Teeling, I'm completely out of touch with current SG goings on so can't comment one way or t'other on relegation / appeals or anything else.  My only take on their year based on a very short conversation a few weeks back is that it hasn't been a good one... by any measure, and they couldn't wait for it to be over.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

The latest I've heard is that the "points carrying" rule was not even argued. The CCC hadn't sought or been granted permission to relegate more than one team from the SFC as is required by rule so Shamrock Gaels saved themselves and Geevagh! Unsure what the situation is in relation to the IFC. Quite possible we were relegated in the wrong last year but winning the JFC this year made up for that.

Mano

Firstly thanks for the messages on here-i think we just about deserved it. There were some nervous moments near the end but our experience brought us through.

We have a fortunate habit of winning county finals at senior level. Thats 7 victories in the last 8 county finals we have contested which is some record. The only blip when Harps were on a mission in 98. Unfortunately that record is reversed at underage level.

I was surprised to see Durkin and Henry starting as news from the camp wasn't positive early last week. It may have taken the Harps by surprise also as they started very slowly and were playing catchup for the rest of the game. We played brillant football for the first 15 minutes but only played in patches for the rest of the game with Harps dominant for the 20 minutes either side of half time. Matt Walsh made a huge difference when he came in as he is a big game player and at 41 years of age is still a tremendous athlete with an exquisite laft foot. He was talking retirement after the game so he has gone out on a high and has been a legend for Tourlestrane for over 20 years.

Celebrations were relatively low key with one eye on Carrick next week (why was the Connaught game brought forward with 3 free weekends afterwards). It will be a tough ask to raise the game again next week-but at least we go into the game with momentum wheras St Marys haven't played in 5 weeks. We will have to improve again especially in the forwards-you don't expect to win games scoring only 1-2 from play.

Davitt Man

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 17, 2007, 12:57:47 AM

One club who are in a bit of bother are Ballymote, who are stuck for options. Apparently they sought our incumbent for the position, but he's sticking with us.

Ballymote are rightly fecked. No Munds for the year, no McTernan for some of it at least, and no manager yet. Nailed-on for league relegation, and if they're not careful they might slip out of the Championship too.

They didnt do to bad for a team nailed-on for relegation

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Davitt Man on October 09, 2007, 11:04:20 AM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 17, 2007, 12:57:47 AM

One club who are in a bit of bother are Ballymote, who are stuck for options. Apparently they sought our incumbent for the position, but he's sticking with us.

Ballymote are rightly fecked. No Munds for the year, no McTernan for some of it at least, and no manager yet. Nailed-on for league relegation, and if they're not careful they might slip out of the Championship too.

They didnt do to bad for a team nailed-on for relegation
Well we all get things wrong sometimes. And some outcomes can be quite unexpected - never imagined that Mullinabreena would end up below us and 2B-bound for instance. Worth reminding you that when that post was made, Ballymote's situation was uncertain, no manager, few additional underage players coming through (had got what they could out of the Minor/U21 teams) and their two county men of recent times were likely to be away, one for definite. As it turned out they coaxed Barnes back to take the reigns, and in fairness to him he has done a reasonable job, and McTernan was available more often than I had expected. Finished up fourth in 1A, which is about as much as you could ask, given that the top three in 1A resembles the top four in the Premiership - well ahead of the rest, and only a question of in which order. Didn't do too well in the Championship though, a difficult group withstanding. They will probably be ok for the next few years, but there's not a lot between quite a few teams there and any slippage could be costly indeed - ask St. Mary's.

Mano - never thought about that fact, it's a remarkable record.

And finally - any ideas on a new manager?

Edit - looking back at the initial post, if I got Ballymote's prediction wrong, then I did a real Liam Hayes job on Tourlestrane!  ;D

Owenmoresider

And speaking of Hayesian-type predictions:
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 14, 2007, 04:45:07 PM
ST MOLAISE GAELS WILL WALK THE INTERMEDIATE THIS YEAR.  ;D Unfortunetly poor management in the past has cost us dear. But with an outside manager no internal politics and player fighting for places and alot of underage talent coming through. Were a match for any club at underage and this year we will walk intermmediate and will be hard beat in senior next year. No doubt. 25 players going training 3 nights a week whereas in the past players wouldnt train.
Just a pity baoithe didn't pass word on of the inevitable outcome to his clubmen eh?

baoithe

WOO HOO! What a day! While the rest of the parishes of Templeboy and Dromore-west are celebrating I am back in Dublin for work tomorrow. Nonetheless nothing can wipe the smille from my face tonight. A great display by the lads collectively and some outstanding individual performances, in particular from James Hynes.
Anyway, I'm off to have my own mini celebration by way of a couple of bottles of beer.

Owenmoresider

Well done baoithe, good to see ye finally delivered on the promise shown, and when it mattered most, in the semi and the final. Sad for Michael's though, but they were simply outclassed all over the field. 2-19 to 0-7 the score btw.

Elsewhere Connacht club duty began for Tourlestrane, and they won 0-12 to 1-4, the Mary's goal came late. Ballina on the 11th November for them now. I can only assume it's Ballintubber to play Farnan's, an altogether different prospect from their opposition in our grade.

Geevagh won Diviison 2A also, beating Harps 0-15 to 0-12. And Shamrock Gaels lost their fifth minor final out of the last six years.

magpie seanie

Congrats to Farnans on their intermediate win and esp to Baoithe. I'm sure a few pints were had in the Beach Bar since Sunday and no finer spot to have them!

Our minors suffered another agonising defeat to Curry in the league final, this time by a point. The were unbeaten all year and then lost 2 games in 6 days to end up with nothing. Hard on them but hopefully plenty of them will come through and have success in the adult ranks.

Impressive win for Tourlestrane. If they have O'Hara back and I think they will then they should cause Ballina plenty of trouble.

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 16, 2007, 09:57:17 AM
Impressive win for Tourlestrane. If they have O'Hara back and I think they will then they should cause Ballina plenty of trouble.

They'll cause us lots of trouble even O'Hara doesn't make it to be honest Seanie - nobody in Ballina would be too confident for this one

Mano

They'll cause us lots of trouble even O'Hara doesn't make it to be honest Seanie - nobody in Ballina would be too confident for this one
[/quote]

There is never a shortage of confidence in Mayo when a Mayo and Sligo teams are playing. 
Having said that we have a momentum behind us at the moment wheras by the time the game comes around Ballina will have been idle in championship action for 6 weeks. The guys played well last weekend and would have won by a lot more but for a bad referring decision at the end of the first half which deprived us of a goal and Marys scoring their goal late on.

Mary's were awful though-lacking some of the basic skills (maybe they were rusty after their layoff). After a nervous opening to both halfs we dominated possession. Doubtful we will have as much possession with McGarrity, Harte and Brady around.

It will be interesting to see the first cousins Harte and O'Hara match up against each other (if O'Hara starts that is). We haven't done too badly te last 3 weekends without him.

stephenite

Quote from: Mano on October 16, 2007, 12:00:08 PM

There is never a shortage of confidence in Mayo when a Mayo and Sligo teams are playing. 

Short memory there Mano - in 2004 Ballina went up to Sligo to take on Curry in the Connacht Club Championship and ended up on the wrong end of an almighty beating - 10 points in the end I think it was. Think there might only be one player (O'Mahoney) on the Stephenites starting 15 from the County final this year that wasn't involved that day. There will be no over-confidence in Ballina and that is about the only thing I'm willing to predict about this match.