CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on January 10, 2017, 11:08:17 PM
Quote from: shark on January 10, 2017, 11:01:37 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 10, 2017, 10:57:13 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 10, 2017, 10:54:31 PM
On another thread I've laid out a plan for a club and IC season. Now, not everyone may agree with it but I see no reason why we can't have two distinct seasons as long as we accept certain realities.

Zulu the GAA is in competition with professional sports.

It cannot shorten the inter county season.

People need to start accepting the realities of the situation and leave Never Never Land to the CPA.

I support the movement but unfortunately the leaders are going to try and fight a battle they are never going to win

The goal is more games and a proper season for club players. Take the county players out and it's easily done

Take the county players out and then county teams begin to disappear. Players in at least 10 counties won't play for their county if it means not playing club. Could even be more.

I tend to agree Shark.

Indiana, the IC season I propose is 5 to 6 months long but all of it is high profile with multiple games and a highlight show every Saturday. The NFL is a world sporting behemoth and only lasts about 5 months. I'm not claiming my proposal is perfect but it's certainly better for competing with professional sports than the current one.

The GAA from a revenue perspective from it's sponsors and with advertising can't afford to shorten the season by two months.

Financial suicide. And that's why this won't get off the ground.

the horse bolted on this 10 years ago

shark

Quote from: INDIANA on January 10, 2017, 11:06:18 PM
On another thread I've laid out a plan for a club and IC season. Now, not everyone may agree with it but I see no reason why we can't have two distinct seasons as long as we accept certain realities.

People need to start accepting the realities of the situation and leave Never Never Land to the CPA.

I support the movement but unfortunately the leaders are going to try and fight a battle they are never going to win

The goal is more games and a proper season for club players. Take the county players out and it's easily done

Take the county players out and then county teams begin to disappear. Players in at least 10 counties won't play for their county if it means not playing club. Could even be more.

I doubt that very much. I haven't met many county players when asked " off the record" do they miss playing club football. The reality is playing club football at the end of the season is a pain in the arse for most of them.

It's great for PR to say they love playing for the club. After training for 6-7 months it's an imposition

I'm from a county that has won feck all, and will continue to win feck all. My club are possibly (I'm not certain) the biggest supplier of players to the senior county team in over the past 30 years. I know these guys extremely well. I've played with them, drank with them and gone to school with many of them. They (mostly) love playing for their county, but of all these guys over that period I can think of 2, maybe 3 (out of more than 30 on quick estimation) who would have chosen county over club.

shark

Quote from: INDIANA on January 10, 2017, 11:16:15 PM

I tend to agree Shark.

Indiana, the IC season I propose is 5 to 6 months long but all of it is high profile with multiple games and a highlight show every Saturday. The NFL is a world sporting behemoth and only lasts about 5 months. I'm not claiming my proposal is perfect but it's certainly better for competing with professional sports than the current one.

The GAA from a revenue perspective from it's sponsors and with advertising can't afford to shorten the season by two months.

And on that point, you are 100% correct. Unfortunately.

sligoman2

It will get off the ground if the players stick together.  No players no revenues - about time the gaa realized that players are humans not just a means of generating revenues.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Zulu

Why? If the NFL can why can't the GAA? It could be 6 months with far more big games than currently exists. The league element would mean that there would be football games like Dublin v Kerry, Mayo v Tyrone and hurling games like Waterford v Kilkenny and Tipp v Galway on RTE every weekend for two months. That's worth a lot of money for TV stations and ad revenue, then you've knockout after that every weekend and a match of the day type program every Saturday and Sunday, a preview/review weekend program midweek. I can't see how you can make a claim that the current format which ignores 70% of games is better than one which has maybe 10 high profile games every week.

Rossfan

Quote from: The Trap on January 10, 2017, 10:50:39 PM
How many players would choose to play for their county and not play for the club?
If they were to get half the € managers get......
The obvious solution is Club Leagues go ahead without Co players to ensure the club players get a regular programme of games.  Then separate  Club and Inter County Championship periods.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ball Hopper

Each county should organise a Summer Fun League (the SFL???) for the non-county players.  Play it Thursday night or Friday night.  A game every week with a two week shutdown for holiday, say the first two week of August.  Start June 1, end Sept 1 is three full months.  10 games.

Made for player who just want to play a game with their lifelong friends and clubmates without the need for dieticians or S&C coaches.  Of course, a few players on every team will take it very seriously in prep for September/October full club fare, but that is fine too.  You would have the soccer and rugby lads returning for the summer and, who knows, maybe even staying for the county championship.

Win/Win?

thewobbler

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 11, 2017, 12:41:36 AM
Each county should organise a Summer Fun League (the SFL???) for the non-county players.  Play it Thursday night or Friday night.  A game every week with a two week shutdown for holiday, say the first two week of August.  Start June 1, end Sept 1 is three full months.  10 games.

Made for player who just want to play a game with their lifelong friends and clubmates without the need for dieticians or S&C coaches.  Of course, a few players on every team will take it very seriously in prep for September/October full club fare, but that is fine too.  You would have the soccer and rugby lads returning for the summer and, who knows, maybe even staying for the county championship.

Win/Win?

You sir have a very romantic notion on life. The only thing missing from your vision is mermaids strumming harps.

Gizzy15

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 11, 2017, 12:41:36 AM

Win/Win?

Slightly similar to this I have said for a while that League fixtures should be played in the 4 months March - June that will be both with and without county players. July and August see a lot of Holidays so instead of scrubbing this period or guilting amateurs into not taking a family holiday, county boards or divisional county boards can organise a reduced numbers if needed Summer league. have around 7 teams in each division and get around 6 fixtures in Hurling and football and if the league needs to be 11 aside or 13 aside so be it. September/October is then set for Championship. half the clubs in the country only get one round anyway, the weather is still relatively good and by 3 week in October County championships will be over with exception of Counties in AI Final. 8 Month season for club player except for those unlucky enough to win a county title.

thewobbler

Right lads, you've been in the gym 3 times a week for 3 years. You spent January to March on the track and running up mountains. You've been off the drink since April. Today lads, today it's the 1st of July and all that hard work is about to pay off. Today we meet our old rivals the Cross-Community Lionesses in 9-a-side no contact football. It doesn't matter whether we win or lose. Lads, It's all about days like this. You will remember this day forever.

Would you pair ever wise to f**k up?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on January 10, 2017, 11:06:18 PM

I doubt that very much. I haven't met many county players when asked " off the record" do they miss playing club football. The reality is playing club football at the end of the season is a pain in the arse for most of them.

It's great for PR to say they love playing for the club. After training for 6-7 months it's an imposition

That'd be only the top end I'd say Indiana, counties with a serious chance of lifting Sam. The vast, vast majority of players in leagues 2 to 4 would choose club over county if they had a serious chance of winning their county championship. I can't imagine the Dublin players were invigorated going straight into club championship after having no time to celebrate winning the All-Ireland last year. Paul Flynn (gpa secretary) choose to go away on a holiday over playing a Leinster intermediate semi-final for the club, their biggest game in years.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

Interesting to see the GPA supporters mask slipping. The GPA has always been about getting paid and moving to a professional game by separating club and county. That is their goal and they will achieve it.....it's too late to beat them now. At least Indiana is honest about it.

I completely disagree with this and would hope it does not happen but I've accepted it will. In a way it might turn out to be better than the mess we currently have. Give the GAA back to the volunteers.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: INDIANA on January 10, 2017, 11:16:15 PM

I tend to agree Shark.

The voluntary organisation with all it's property paid off will struggle financially?

Spare us the waffle.

Jinxy

I think if the CPA gets off the ground and truly has a mandate to represent the views of the wider 'volunteer' association, then the GPA will start to look quite small in comparison.
The narrative will no longer simply consist of the GPA, provincial councils and GAA HQ deciding what's best for everyone, primarily based on financial considerations.
That's assuming people get off their arse and register, and in this day and age where taking 30 seconds to do something seems like a lot of effort to some people, it'll be interesting to see how many people have signed up over the next month or so.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

I see GPA bashing is back in vogue this morning  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM