The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentalman

Degen suffers cup knock
Swiss defender breaks two ribs
By Chris Burton   Last updated: 24th September 2008

Liverpool defender Philipp Degen is facing a frustrating spell on the sidelines after breaking two ribs.

The Switzerland international picked up the knock while on Carling Cup duty against Crewe on Tuesday.

Degen had to be replaced by Jamie Carragher after 73 minutes and appeared to be in some discomfort after suffering the blow in an innocuous looking challenge.

The news comes as a major setback to the 25-year-old as he looks to establish himself at Anfield following his summer arrival at the club.

"He has broken two ribs," Reds boss Rafa Benitez told the club's official website.

"He is very unlucky."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4188005,00.html

Lucas and Pennant making the usual noises about getting more game time too.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

corn02

2-1 will do last night. Don't care too much about it to be honest -good for new boys to get a chance and Agger will surely be considered more now.

GalwayBayBoy

I have a feeling that this Degen guy is barely ever going to be fit for us.

Mentalman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 24, 2008, 03:29:10 PM
I have a feeling that this Degen guy is barely ever going to be fit for us.

Hope you're wrong, but I get that sort of feeling about him to, not the most auspicious of starts.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

stevo-08

massive game tomorrow. 3 points is a must. Everton have been struggling at home & are leaking goals so its a good time to take advantage. mind you, they've started to score a few goals lately aswell so thats a worry.

Will be interesting to see the lineup, might be the first time he has near a full squad to pick from. I think he might go for something like this:
                Reina
Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio
          Masch   Alonso
Kuyt        Gerrard      Riera
               Torres

with babel & keane to bring off the bench if needed.

corn02

Have a feeling Rafa will go 4-4-2 for this one with Alonso missing out.

stevo-08

Defenders miss Merseyside derby
Liverpool will be without defenders Fabio Aurelio and Philipp Degen for the Merseyside derby at Everton in the Premier League.

Brazilian full-back Aurelio is still struggling with an ankle problem while Degen is out for three weeks after cracking ribs in Tuesday's Carling Cup win over Crewe.

It means boss Rafael Benitez could give three players their derby debuts at Goodison Park - Robbie Keane, Andreas Dossena and Albert Riera - while he will also consider handing Daniel Agger a return after he scored in the defeat of Crewe.

Kick-off at Goodison Park is 12.45pm.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Hyypia, Agger, Dossena, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Babel, Benayoun, Riera, Kuyt, Keane, Torres, Lucas, Cavalieri, El Zhar, Plessis, Ngog.

Aurelio out so not full strength after all (I did realise that Degen was injured but didnt count him). Anyway, probably means that Dossena will start at LB which isnt good.

full back

stevo-08

Do you still have him on your fantasy football team full back??

There's a chance he could play but I doubt it. Rafa will want to keep a settled CB pairing for this game. And Carra & Skrtel havent done much wrong so far.

full back

Aye, have him in Sun Dream team
Doing f**king woeful at the minute
Thought he might be pushing for a place after playing during the week as well as scoring

Abble

i have him on my own fantasy team

agger has to be getting some proper football any of these days now. carragher great and all as he is can be a slight liability sometimes and its fairly obvious that agger has the more all-round game. thing is as soon as agger gets a start in there, that'll be it, he'll be a regular so someone has to lose out

no matter, hope the reds continue their good run at goodison tomorrow

stevo-08

regarding Agger, another concern is that he has only 18mths left on his contract. He also has a buy out clause which means he could buy out the remainder of his contract and go anytime. Rafa has already mentioned that he will be offered a new contract but I'd like to see him get more gametime sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately for Agger (and also for the fantasy teams of full back & Abble  ;)), it may take an injury to one off arbeloa/carra/skrtel before he gets a real chance to shine...

full back

Quote from: stevo-08 on September 26, 2008, 02:10:28 PM
Unfortunately for Agger (and also for the fantasy teams of full back & Abble  ;)), it may take an injury to one off arbeloa/carra/skrtel before he gets a real chance to shine...

No dis-respect to any of the 3 but I hope to fcuk they hurry up & get injured.........was depending on that cnut Agger to get me a load of points

brokencrossbar1

I know he is a CB but would there be merit in having a look at him in LB.  He is a great ball player, quick and good in the tackle.  He may be an option.

stevo-08

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 26, 2008, 02:13:44 PM
I know he is a CB but would there be merit in having a look at him in LB.  He is a great ball player, quick and good in the tackle.  He may be an option.

Indeed. Or even putting Carra at RB and arbeloa at LB, with Skrtel & Agger in CB positions. Not convinced about Dossena at this early stage and would worry about the Derby match tomorrow.

Either way, a back line consisting of Carra, Agger & Skrtel is fairly intimidating.