The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

If you asked me which one I'd want, I think I'd go for Keane. It's much of a muchness though, Berbatov on his day is great, but he's a bit lazy. PRobably Fergie will need the old hairdryer treatment a few times.

Keane has been far better for Spuds than for Ireland, so I'd hope he'd be better again at Liverpool. We'll see.

bingobus

Quote from: corn02 on July 18, 2008, 10:35:02 AM
A fellow Liverpool fan made the point that it is typical that we will get Keane for the same price as United will get Berbatov, or near enough. Do people see that much difference in class between them. There is only one year in age difference and Keane has a better strike rate for Spurs..

We must know the same fella!!

Berbatov is better because he is not Irish. Prob a more skillful player but nowhere near as hard working outside the box. Keane will give you everything, day in day out and chip in with a fair share of goals. Keane can prob play in a couple of positions, out wide, off a striker or as a striker up front. Berbatov is best and restricted to in the close to the box.

Its horses for courses. I don't think United would need Keane with Rooney and Tevez in that mould, while I couldn't berbatov been Rafa's type of player or fitting his system. Both should do well with their new clubs, although if Berbatov gets rotated too often he may sulk but Fergie always seems to keep everyone happy.

Happy with Keane, once he doesn;t roll like a Irish Gymnast.

stevo-08

Quote from: bingobus on July 18, 2008, 10:42:40 AM
Berbatov is better because he is not Irish. Prob a more skillful player but nowhere near as hard working outside the box. Keane will give you everything, day in day out and chip in with a fair share of goals. Keane can prob play in a couple of positions, out wide, off a striker or as a striker up front. Berbatov is best and restricted to in the close to the box.

Its horses for courses. I don't think United would need Keane with Rooney and Tevez in that mould, while I couldn't berbatov been Rafa's type of player or fitting his system. Both should do well with their new clubs, although if Berbatov gets rotated too often he may sulk but Fergie always seems to keep everyone happy.

Happy with Keane, once he doesn;t roll like a Irish Gymnast.

Eh??? Strange comment to make.

But I agree, Berbatov will suit utd better & keane should suit Liverpool - hopefully form a great partnership with torres.

bingobus

I meant that tongue in cheek. Berbatov would be hyped more as a stylist foreigner while Keane would be a lowly Paddy. Even the Irish press would talk down Keane if you get me.

stevo-08

ah yes, understood. Thats certainly true and if both deals go through, I'd expect Keane to go for at least 5-6m less than Berbatov, even though both players could prove equal worth to the clubs involved. Actually, of the two, I think Berbatov would be the riskier purchase.

brokencrossbar1

QuoteScott Carson has today signed for Barclays Premier League new boys West Bromwich Albion. 
The England international goalkeeper has reportedly penned a four-year deal at the Hawthorns after the two clubs struck a deal.

Carson made nine Liverpool appearances after signing from Leeds in January 2005.

The highlight of his Anfield career came when he featured against Juventus in the quarter-finals of the 2005 Champions League.

The past two seasons have been spent on loan at Charlton and Aston Villa, in which time he has won two international caps.

Deal done, no mention of money but would probably be £3.5 - £4.  Bets of luck to him, he never really got the chance to impress but he is a decent keeper.

corn02

GalwayBayBoy

Hound

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 18, 2008, 08:09:34 AM

Would not agree Agger/Skrtel would be the best CB partnership,Carra has a lot of milage left in him,i wouldn't be ready to kick him to the sideline that quickly
I think Carra/Agger will be the preferred option fot the bigger more important games
Carragher made an enormous amount of errors last year. Although they generally get ignored by Liverpool fans. He definitely lost half a yard of pace last year resulting in many of the last ditch tackles he's famous for getting the man rather than the ball.

Skrtel wasnt immune from errors himself, but that was mostly down to naivitey, when he looked like he was trying to be Alan Hansen (not always a good idea to give new signings videos of past triumphs  ;D ). They are easily cut out. Agger is a far better centre back than Carragher, and I'm sure Skrtel will prove to be similar by Christmas.   

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hound on July 18, 2008, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 18, 2008, 08:09:34 AM

Would not agree Agger/Skrtel would be the best CB partnership,Carra has a lot of milage left in him,i wouldn't be ready to kick him to the sideline that quickly
I think Carra/Agger will be the preferred option fot the bigger more important games
Carragher made an enormous amount of errors last year. Although they generally get ignored by Liverpool fans. He definitely lost half a yard of pace last year resulting in many of the last ditch tackles he's famous for getting the man rather than the ball.

Skrtel wasnt immune from errors himself, but that was mostly down to naivitey, when he looked like he was trying to be Alan Hansen (not always a good idea to give new signings videos of past triumphs  ;D ). They are easily cut out. Agger is a far better centre back than Carragher, and I'm sure Skrtel will prove to be similar by Christmas.   

Well sure time will tell..I still think Carra will be first choice CB along with Agger for the major games
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stevo-08

This season will certainly be a challenge for Carragher as there is now some genuine competition for the CB positions. I agree with Hound that Carra certainly made some uncharacteristic errors last season and seems to have lost a yard of pace. However, in fairness to the guy, for the first half of the season he was carrying the centre of defence on his own being partnered with Hyppia, Aurelio & even Hobbs at times. And even when Skrtel arrived, there was always going to be a transition period when Carra was relied on to be the leader in the centre. so in that context, I think he did quite well.

At this moment, I think our best partnership would be Skrtel & Agger, however I dont expect Carragher to give up his spot without one hell of a fight.

Chrisowc

I can see Carra playing a lot of games at right back.  Then you will get the usual tabloid/606 shite that he is unhappy playing out of position - forgetting that Rafa switched him to CB in the first place.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Carmen Stateside

Carmen Stateside

doire na raithe

Corn I've been finding it hard to keep track of everything out here! When I was told that Keane could possibly go to liverpool I thought I was being subject to a cruel joke but can't believe it might actually happen, almost surreal. I will definately be in some pub on 16th August at 11 in the morning waiting to see him! I think 20m is a bit much but in this stagnant market I say f**k it, pay it, he could be the missing link.