***NEW Hurling Championship Proposals Revealed***

Started by thejuice, September 02, 2008, 05:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: Gnevin on September 10, 2008, 10:12:54 PM
Quote from: The Wedger on September 08, 2008, 07:57:40 AM
The Leinster championship needs Kilkenny to be kicked out of it, rather than Galway to be brought in.
That is the strangest suggestion i have seen on this board in a long time .
True, but it's not a bad idea, what Leinster need is for Kilkenny to get out. It would allow the teams there to develop. Not to be completley demoralised every time. Not a single player, manager, fan from any of the other counties in Leinster believe that they could be Kilkenny, they go in to the match with the attitude of keeping the score down, playing them is just a formality to them. That alone, that attitude is bad for hurling in general.

Gnevin

Quote from: Reillers on September 10, 2008, 10:41:22 PM
The Leinster championship needs Kilkenny to be kicked out of it, rather than Galway to be brought in.
True, but it's not a bad idea, what Leinster need is for Kilkenny to get out. It would allow the teams there to develop. Not to be completley demoralised every time. Not a single player, manager, fan from any of the other counties in Leinster believe that they could be Kilkenny, they go in to the match with the attitude of keeping the score down, playing them is just a formality to them. That alone, that attitude is bad for hurling in general.

And Munster teams love drawing Kilkenny . Its a terrible idea ,its saying play worse or we ban you  ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Reillers

Quote from: Gnevin on September 10, 2008, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: Reillers on September 10, 2008, 10:41:22 PM

And Munster teams love drawing Kilkenny . Its a terrible idea ,its saying play worse or we ban you  ::)
God ya, it would and should never happen, but it's the only thing that would help Leinster hurling.

EddieMerx

Where would you put Kilkenny????????? In Munster where they just hammered the best ye have to offer by 23 points ::)

downgirl

Don't think it would be good for a team to have to play in 2 provincial championships, where did they come up with this idea????

Gnevin

Quote from: downgirl on September 11, 2008, 10:34:31 PM
Don't think it would be good for a team to have to play in 2 provincial championships, where did they come up with this idea????

I think Antrim want to support the Ulster Championship and it was their idea to play in both.

Does this new system apply to under age too?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

INDIANA

Where would you put Kilkenny??? In Munster where they just hammered the best ye have to offer by 23 points 

munster would be begging to get rid of the cats after a couple of years of being perrenially beaten by them. there is no solution to it. the cats are currently in a league of their own.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on September 13, 2008, 08:11:24 PM
Where would you put Kilkenny??? In Munster where they just hammered the best ye have to offer by 23 points 

munster would be begging to get rid of the cats after a couple of years of being perrenially beaten by them. there is no solution to it. the cats are currently in a league of their own.

Probably, I think Kilkenny, well that praticular team anyway, hit their peak against Waterford in the final, it was their best, you can't get any better then that. But anyway, I don't know how well Kileknny would do in Munster at the start, better then the teams there..ya, much better, but Munster is a strange competition. Anything can and usually does happen, I don't think they'd understand Munster either, but that's another matter.

barryhatrick

They wouldn't understand Munster? Its not rocket science. Play at 80% capacity against any of the counties in Munster and win handy. Whats not to understand?
I agree that its not beneficial to anyone to have a lopsided Leinster championship but Im not sure what the best solution is. KK wont always be this dominant though. Sport is about cycles and eventually someone will come from the pack and we'll be waxing lyrical about how unstoppable they are. No need for sweeping changes just yet id say.

Declan

DUBLIN COUNTY board last night voted to reject the entry of Galway into the Leinster hurling championship as well as other reforms due before next month's special congress.

The proposal to bring Galway and Antrim into Leinster had been made by the Hurling Development Committee but was voted down by a sizeable margin at last night's meeting. Among the arguments heard were that the move would not be in Dublin's interests (though some delegates appeared unaware that the proposal would not apply to underage championships) and that Galway themselves appeared ambivalent on the issue.

Antrim's proposed admission was, however, welcomed.

Other matters for debate on October 4th are the proposed disciplinary changes that include the dismissal of any player who picks up a yellow card but the permission that he be replaced.

The feeling of delegates was that there are already rules adequately dealing with discipline and these should be enforced.

Finally the revised proposals to counter burn-out, which would see the under-21 championships replaced by an under-20 grade, were also rejected.

Gnevin

Quote from: Declan on September 16, 2008, 01:40:40 PM
DUBLIN COUNTY board last night voted to reject the entry of Galway into the Leinster hurling championship as well as other reforms due before next month's special congress.

The proposal to bring Galway and Antrim into Leinster had been made by the Hurling Development Committee but was voted down by a sizeable margin at last night's meeting. Among the arguments heard were that the move would not be in Dublin's interests (though some delegates appeared unaware that the proposal would not apply to underage championships) and that Galway themselves appeared ambivalent on the issue.

Antrim's proposed admission was, however, welcomed.

Other matters for debate on October 4th are the proposed disciplinary changes that include the dismissal of any player who picks up a yellow card but the permission that he be replaced.

The feeling of delegates was that there are already rules adequately dealing with discipline and these should be enforced.

Finally the revised proposals to counter burn-out, which would see the under-21 championships replaced by an under-20 grade, were also rejected.
Jasus looks like the DCB got out of the wrong side of bed that day

bredaghgael86

I think its funny thw way they accepted antrim but not galway. they may aswell issue a statement saying we only want to play against teams we are better than. anybody who can beat us can get f****d.

EddieMerx

I suppose I can understand where Dublin are coming from, Dublin have done a massive amount of work to raise the profile of hurling within the county, the addition of Galway would see them further down the pecking order in Leinster.

INDIANA

can't understand why people can't see where dublin are coming from its bad enough having the manchester utd of hurling in leinster before inviting in another sleeping giant like galway if they were organised properly. I'd be more concerned about why they won't invite carlow and westmeath in to compete in their own provincial championship. would they prefer if these counties simply packed it up. I think they would.

Reillers

It would be unfair on the weaker counties if Galway came in, but it's unfair on the stronger counties that Kilkenny are unchalleneged all year till the semi final. Someone will always suffer and be unhappy. If Kilkenny are going to be stoped it needs to be leveled off because at the moment they don't have a hard game to play till the AI semi after the Munster teams are after beating the living daylights out of eachother. But someone will always be unhappy, if it was our decision we'd put Galway in, but it's not our decision.

At the end of the day, it's not up to us. It's their decision to make.