"I'm not so sure Jack wants it as much as we want him."

Started by MoChara, June 18, 2015, 05:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I don't know to be honest AZ but from what I read or heard I got the impression that Jack wasn't meeting the standard the team had set themselves. I didn't get the impression it was a once off or that it was like the Clare lads who weren't even drinking if I remember correctly. I might be wrong but that was the impression I got and this is the reason management went with the nuclear option.

deiseach

Ditching Jack Guiney (or whoever) if he's the equivalent of Mario Balotelli is a piece of piss. It's when they're the equivalent of Luis Suarez that the doubts creep in. It's not that bad, twas only one night on the tiles. I'm thick skinned, I can take the abuse. He probably had a point about that sugar in his coffee, the little old lady had it coming to her...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on June 19, 2015, 05:23:58 PM
I don't know to be honest AZ but from what I read or heard I got the impression that Jack wasn't meeting the standard the team had set themselves. I didn't get the impression it was a once off or that it was like the Clare lads who weren't even drinking if I remember correctly. I might be wrong but that was the impression I got and this is the reason management went with the nuclear option.

The Clare situation blew up because of the lad who *was* drinking and didn't get disciplined. You may be right about the history re Guiney, but it doesn't read like that in the report.

Quote from: deiseach on June 19, 2015, 05:24:05 PM
Ditching Jack Guiney (or whoever) if he's the equivalent of Mario Balotelli is a piece of piss. It's when they're the equivalent of Luis Suarez that the doubts creep in. It's not that bad, twas only one night on the tiles. I'm thick skinned, I can take the abuse. He probably had a point about that sugar in his coffee, the little old lady had it coming to her...

Not sure what you're saying here, but what I'm saying is that if he's consistently bad, then you could see why the players and management would want rid of him.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 19, 2015, 05:31:26 PM
Quote from: Zulu on June 19, 2015, 05:23:58 PM

The Clare situation blew up because of the lad who *was* drinking and didn't get disciplined. You may be right about the history re Guiney, but it doesn't read like that in the report.

Quote from: deiseach on June 19, 2015, 05:24:05 PM

Not sure what you're saying here, but what I'm saying is that if he's consistently bad, then you could see why the players and management would want rid of him.

Yes but he still dropped two lads for being out even though they weren't drinking which was ridiculously excessive and was, apparently, part of the rules set down by management. I think this is more a case of a guy who is not putting in what the rest of the boys are and therefore is being let go. It's a pity either way.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 19, 2015, 05:08:32 PM
Ah I see, sorry. I thought it was more of a one time thing. If he's consistently breaking rules and showing disregard for his team, then he has to go at some stage. It's the Mario Ballotelli scenario. At what point does his behaviour outweigh his value as a talent. (In Balotelli's case it's very quickly :) ).

Having said that, I just read the examiner article, and it doesn't really hint at a pattern of behaviour. In fact it talks about a night out after the Westmeath game. What are the other incidents supposed to have been?

It's one incident. Any manager who doesn't allow his team out after a championship match for one night with a 2-3 week gap needs to get a life in my view. Needs to be a serious reappraisal within GAA circles about the Al Pacino inches speech

Sounds like the Wexford players could do with reading it as well. These indoctrinated social life bans ensure players perform worse not better in my view .