O'Byrne Cup 2018

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 02, 2017, 01:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

It wasn't as dark there that the video would lead you to believe.

Video will always give a poor impression.

There was enough light for the lads on the pitch to see the posts.......well, enough for 4 of our lads to miss them entirely  :-\

Rossfan

Quote from: LooseCannon on January 15, 2018, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 15, 2018, 03:37:50 PM
Quote from: slippery dodger on January 15, 2018, 03:31:58 PM
Footage of the historical first 45 metre shootout used to decide an intercounty game. Meath beat Longford 2-1.
https://youtu.be/8NV7YE9KiLk
Have they no floodlights in Navan?

Used to, not anymore I think.
They didn't go with the green grassy slopes.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: laoislad on January 15, 2018, 03:37:50 PM
Quote from: slippery dodger on January 15, 2018, 03:31:58 PM
Footage of the historical first 45 metre shootout used to decide an intercounty game. Meath beat Longford 2-1.
https://youtu.be/8NV7YE9KiLk
Have they no floodlights in Navan?

I think Cavan took them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

Foundations for the floodlights were found to be sub standard and had to be taken down after cracks appeared.

I have no idea how much it cost or how much it would cost to put them back up again but hopefully a better integrated solution will be included in the rebuilding of PT but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Anyway, we've won three games in a row and some people are getting giddy particularly on hoganstand but we'll have to see. Andy is trying out as many lads as he can and doesn't seem too fussed about the result so we'll probably see a very different 15 on Sunday. He has set his sights on promotion in the league so I think it will be fair to judge him on that.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on January 15, 2018, 10:11:37 PM
Foundations for the floodlights were found to be sub standard and had to be taken down after cracks appeared.

I have no idea how much it cost or how much it would cost to put them back up again but hopefully a better integrated solution will be included in the rebuilding of PT but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Anyway, we've won three games in a row and some people are getting giddy particularly on hoganstand but we'll have to see. Andy is trying out as many lads as he can and doesn't seem too fussed about the result so we'll probably see a very different 15 on Sunday. He has set his sights on promotion in the league so I think it will be fair to judge him on that.

A loss one day one is going to make promotion a lot harder for either team as it has the potential to be a tie breaker when all is said and done. I'd be disappointed if we don't beat Meath at home.

Shamrock Shore

"Foundations for the floodlights were found to be sub standard and had to be taken down after cracks appeared"

Kinda like our stands!

I heard that Pairc Tailteann is to be completely renovated with the pitch turned sideways, and a complete new stand to be built. A big job.

Aim big.

Hope there's a good crowd in Portlaoise on Sunday. Final is live on TG4.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: thejuice on January 15, 2018, 10:11:37 PM

Weren't deep enough apparently.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Declan

QuoteWeren't deep enough apparently.

The ould pyrite it was

slippery dodger

The final between Meath and Westmeath being on in Portlaois is a bit of a joke.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: slippery dodger on January 16, 2018, 07:00:37 PM
Where do you reckon it should have been played?

tippabu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 16, 2018, 07:22:39 PM

toss for home advantage? dublin and kildare played in newbridge last year

thejuice

I won't be going as I live abroad but I do find the fuss being made over the venue a bit bemusing. I'm sure the venue was fixed well in advance and it's not that far away compared to some league venues we'll be playing in shortly. We're in a final, we should be glad if the fact not whinging because it's not being played on your doorstep.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: tippabu on January 16, 2018, 08:20:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 16, 2018, 07:22:39 PM

toss for home advantage? dublin and kildare played in newbridge last year

Páirc Tailteann is already in action that day so both teams have agreed that they want to play it in Cusack Park. Would be much preferable to both sets of supporters too. Having it on TV not a bad idea but the stands will be deserted in Portlaoise, would be a good atmosphere in Mullingar, if not quite in the realms of the madness of the O'Byrne Cup final in 2004. Cusack Park was dangerously packed that day, championship matches before or since haven't come close to the crowd that day.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Insider

Venue set months ago , agreement with TG4 to show game as part of a double header with the All Ireland Intermediate club semi final between An Gealteacht and Moy from Tyrone . The Cavanagh's v The O Se family . Real box office game with the history between the 2 counties . Redevelopment of Pairc Tailteann on the long finger as opinion split , without doubt the stand and lights need replacing . Haven't been on main terrace for years but it looks in good condition , development probably should be done with maybe a 20,000 capacity max with 6000/7000 seating . Would allow for a home and away agreement with the Dubs in championship