John Evans- We wont beat Kerry

Started by Peter Solan the Great, May 15, 2010, 08:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

With reference to his recent radio interview where he says the only chance of Tipp beating Kerry is if the Kerry lads all get the flu. Not a great attitude for a manger to have going into the game tomorrow, is it cute Kerry hoorism on his behalf? I think its something he should of kept to himself really.

INDIANA

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on May 15, 2010, 08:28:46 AM
With reference to his recent radio interview where he says the only chance of Tipp beating Kerry is if the Kerry lads all get the flu. Not a great attitude for a manger to have going into the game tomorrow, is it cute Kerry hoorism on his behalf? I think its something he should of kept to himself really.

I agree. If i was  a player on the Tipp team I wouldn't be happy with that. Hate hearing that shite pre game. Have to have a dream in my view as a weaker county as a footballer. If you haven't got a dream you've got nothing. And its up to the manager to inspire that dream in his players and make them believe on any given day in a once off situation you can pull it off. Coming out publicly and saying they can't win is a load of bollox in my opinion.
kerry have a defence there that is as old as I am.

Zulu

The Tipp lads acknowledged this week that belief is exactly what Evans has brought to the set up. Why do so many lads take what managers and players say in public as proof this is what they are thinking? Of course he is telling his players they have a great chance of uipsetting the odds tomorrow, you only have to look at Limerick and cork last year for proof that Tipp could pull a surprise, or the Sligo/Kerry game for that matter.

What he said was for the benefit of the Kerry set up and no one else and I'm sure the Tipp players didn't bat an eyelid about it, they know the story.

Now whether this works or not is another issue but there is no way Evans or his players don't think they have a decent chance tomorrow and you can be sure they've been saying as much in training.

Kerry Mike

Evans is a cute hoor and will try and get under the Kerry mentality but feel his comment was very tongue in cheek, he will have Tipp on fire for this, I feel after a stuttering league campaign this year and a recent spate of injuries and new faces trying to bed in to the Kerry team, we may be vunerable and if not tuned in properly we may be caught and thats what Evans will play on. 

But if there is something to be taken from last year's campaign, its that we need to get out of the blocks earlier this year, we had a great league last year and were hardly tested in any of the 8 games and then staggered through Munster and were lucky to escape the qualifiers at least twice and it was only when we hit Croke Park in August that we saw the real Kerry and things started to click.

We need to get motoring earlier this year and I'm sure Jack and the players will have the work done to try and ensure the heads and the focus is right and we do not get caught out. Even though we have lost some vital players since last year the experience is still there in every line of the named team, and though the miles are long I believe there is still a huge hunger to win more amoung those players. Looking forward to it tomorrow.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

orangeman

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11515.0

Galway hurling manager was at the same auld carry on this time last year !!!!!!!!!

Cute hoor.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on May 15, 2010, 11:48:56 AM
The Tipp lads acknowledged this week that belief is exactly what Evans has brought to the set up. Why do so many lads take what managers and players say in public as proof this is what they are thinking? Of course he is telling his players they have a great chance of uipsetting the odds tomorrow, you only have to look at Limerick and cork last year for proof that Tipp could pull a surprise, or the Sligo/Kerry game for that matter.

What he said was for the benefit of the Kerry set up and no one else and I'm sure the Tipp players didn't bat an eyelid about it, they know the story.

Now whether this works or not is another issue but there is no way Evans or his players don't think they have a decent chance tomorrow and you can be sure they've been saying as much in training.
You don't say that crap coming into a game Zulu- period. That stuff does get into players heads and I can guarantee you already 100% that if Tipp get into a winning position tomorrow they won't have the gumption to take it. Quite frankly I'd be pissed off if I was a Tipp player hearing that sort of crap before heading into battle tomorrow. Half the problem with most of these nearly counties- none of them can convince themselves they can win.

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on May 15, 2010, 12:34:54 PM
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11515.0

Galway hurling manager was at the same auld carry on this time last year !!!!!!!!!

Cute hoor.

yep and look at what they won last year. Its self promotion by managers. Its not my fault -its the players fault. Just in case it goes pear shaped some of them will hedge their bets. I wouldn't want to have them playing poker for me.

Tatler Jack

Evans is a cute hoor and will try and get under the Kerry mentality but feel his comment was very tongue in cheek, he will have Tipp on fire for this, I feel after a stuttering league campaign this year and a recent spate of injuries and new faces trying to bed in to the Kerry team, we may be vunerable and if not tuned in properly we may be caught and thats what Evans will play on.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile !!   ;)

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on May 15, 2010, 12:37:46 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 15, 2010, 11:48:56 AM

You don't say that crap coming into a game Zulu- period. That stuff does get into players heads and I can guarantee you already 100% that if Tipp get into a winning position tomorrow they won't have the gumption to take it. Quite frankly I'd be pissed off if I was a Tipp player hearing that sort of crap before heading into battle tomorrow. Half the problem with most of these nearly counties- none of them can convince themselves they can win.

Ah come on now Indiana, if you'er managing a team and you'er telling the boys all year and in the build up to the match that they have a great chance to win this and that testing yourselves against the AI champions is exactly what IC football is all about, that they will be deflated if you say something different in the media? You don't think the Tipp boys know what he is at? Of course they do and they couldn't care less. there is no pre-game bible of do's and don't's, if you win a game then what you did was right, if you lose what you did was wrong in many people's eyes.

This game will be won on the pitch and nowhere else and both sets of players will pay no heed to what is said in the media, managers play down their teams chances on a consistent basis, if it works they were cute hoors if not they were defeatist. In truth no matter what a manager says in the media matters, unless he provides motivation to the oppostion. I can guarantee you none of the Tipp panel will be concerned with Evan's comments.

mannix

Tipp players obviously trust the man and his saying they won,t beat kerry is pure gamesmanship. Tipp believe they can win, thats why they have been successful in the last few years. Saying something like that  to a reporter is not the same as what he says to his players.

Jinxy

Eamon O'Brien more or less said the same in the run-up to our game against Kerry last year.
I hate hearing stuff like that.
Just say you're going to go out and give it your best shot.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 15, 2010, 12:07:11 PM

But if there is something to be taken from last year's campaign, its that we need to get out of the blocks earlier this year, we had a great league last year and were hardly tested in any of the 8 games and then staggered through Munster and were lucky to escape the qualifiers at least twice and it was only when we hit Croke Park in August that we saw the real Kerry and things started to click.

We need to get motoring earlier this year and I'm sure Jack and the players will have the work done to try and ensure the heads and the focus is right and we do not get caught out. Even though we have lost some vital players since last year the experience is still there in every line of the named team, and though the miles are long I believe there is still a huge hunger to win more amoung those players. Looking forward to it tomorrow.

Do you think a few honest grafters would be any use to you at all on your via dolorosa Mike?

Peter Solan the Great

I see Paidi o'Shea also thinks Tipp havent a chance he says he,ll give free drink to everybody tonight in his pub if it happens.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/drink-will-be-flowing-in-ventry-if-tipp-manage-to-upset-kerry-2182032.html