Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 27, 2023, 03:30:53 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2023, 10:10:29 AMI am not saying we are any different to other clubs, in fact I'm saying we are exactly the same as them in that all our teams from top till bottom are built around families. I suppose the difference is that when the 'blood line' is as strong as it is and the culture and ethos is built into the children literally from birth then we keep those people around the club. I left the club as a playing member properly in 2006 but I am a Cross man and always will be one. My children are not involved in the club actively but they identify as Cross people (much to the disgust of their mother but that's another tale!), my youngest is only 3 but she knows all about the importance of it. Herself and myself discussed it the other night about the mindset and I made a comment which I didn't think was outrageous. She had been talking to one's in her work about the amount of titles we had won and AK in particular. We spoke about expectations of titles and about us hitting 50 and how many AK had in comparison to Hearty and McConville. I won't say what I said but she said it was the most Cross thing ever but then laughed and said that I was probably right! 

Mindsets are the main thing and that mindset enables us to retain players. Of the team that started in 1997 10 have players playing with the club are various levels. Of the squad you're probably adding another 6-7. That's some level of continuity
I was reading this the first time I was thinking f**k me thats an advanced 3 year old to be discussing the mindset of Cross!  ;D  ;D

Who's to say it wasn't?

Armagh18

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2023, 07:18:47 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 27, 2023, 03:30:53 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2023, 10:10:29 AMI am not saying we are any different to other clubs, in fact I'm saying we are exactly the same as them in that all our teams from top till bottom are built around families. I suppose the difference is that when the 'blood line' is as strong as it is and the culture and ethos is built into the children literally from birth then we keep those people around the club. I left the club as a playing member properly in 2006 but I am a Cross man and always will be one. My children are not involved in the club actively but they identify as Cross people (much to the disgust of their mother but that's another tale!), my youngest is only 3 but she knows all about the importance of it. Herself and myself discussed it the other night about the mindset and I made a comment which I didn't think was outrageous. She had been talking to one's in her work about the amount of titles we had won and AK in particular. We spoke about expectations of titles and about us hitting 50 and how many AK had in comparison to Hearty and McConville. I won't say what I said but she said it was the most Cross thing ever but then laughed and said that I was probably right! 

Mindsets are the main thing and that mindset enables us to retain players. Of the team that started in 1997 10 have players playing with the club are various levels. Of the squad you're probably adding another 6-7. That's some level of continuity
I was reading this the first time I was thinking f**k me thats an advanced 3 year old to be discussing the mindset of Cross!  ;D  ;D

Who's to say it wasn't?
Different breed yous lot!

shawshank

Quote from: general_lee on October 24, 2023, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: shawshank on October 24, 2023, 12:22:12 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 24, 2023, 11:56:31 AM
Quote from: shawshank on October 24, 2023, 09:59:49 AMI main point still stands, what have the other clubs been doing that Cross have dominated, particularly from 96 onward. I fully accepted that there were a number of Cross teams in that period that will stand the test of time. However the there has been a period now where Cross have won and aren't close to being a threat in Ulster.
Someone reference my own county without realising they were making my point. Dungiven, Bellaghy, Ballinderry, Loup, Slaugtneil and now Glen all have won the Ulster club.  Our club championship is a graveyard for any club with ambitions of dominating for years such a Cross. The mentality of club football in Derry is fierce. Please don't tell me if Cross were in Derry they would be winning county titles year in and out. Definitely not.
You're complaining about Armagh clubs rolling over when the exact same is now happening in Derry? First Ballinderry, then Slaughtneil and now Glen. Fair enough there was greater competition back in the early/mid 00s but I know enough about Derry football to know it's a shadow of its former self. Magherafelt 5/1?

Your not getting it. Cross dominant in Armagh for how long. Meanwhile in the same period in Derry six clubs have won Ulster, four in AI Ireland finals, with two additional clubs making the county title breakthrough.
Do you see it.
Oh I get what you're saying, regardless of whether Cross are winning Ulsters/AIs or not, Armagh clubs remain shite. In a 12 year period 04-15 Cross won 8 Ulster titles, were the Derry/rest of Ulster clubs rolling over as well? 

glad you agree that Armagh clubs are shite.  ;D

winsamsoon

The standard is poor this year and has been for the past few years, however it entertains us through the months and it's all we have got.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.