Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 12, 2024, 02:05:40 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 12, 2024, 08:36:29 AMThe chat I have read and seen is that Southgate is seen as a viable candidate once he is away from England. So unless ETH has a seriously improved start to the league he will be under pressure instantly.

INEOS and the Glazers are one of the same if he was appointed at any stage.

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 12, 2024, 10:30:28 AMI'd say he'll do well  to see the new year
You said the same when he first arrived.

I probably did

But was his first  season any better than Poch at Chelsea?  I thought yhat first season  was  very overhyped.  And last season  was shambolic.

My only conclusion is, like John O Shea with Ireland , is that they put the feelers out  and nobody obviously wanted  the  job , so the board  are now "backing the manager ". In reality , they  had no other choice

PS.  I expect O Shea to  be named Ireland manager for the same reason

Cunny Funt

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 12, 2024, 02:13:29 PMBut was his first  season any better than Poch at Chelsea? 
Yes would be the answer to that.

Poch with Chelsea this season 6th in the league 63 points, one cup final and managed to lose it against a injury hit Liverpool who was there for the taking

Ten Hag first season with United 3rd in the league 75 points, two cup finals losing one narrowly to City and winning the other one.

NAG1

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 12, 2024, 02:44:01 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on June 12, 2024, 02:13:29 PMBut was his first  season any better than Poch at Chelsea? 
Yes would be the answer to that.

Poch with Chelsea this season 6th in the league 63 points, one cup final and manged to lose it against a injury hit Liverpool who was there for the taking

Ten Hag first season with United 3rd in the league 75 points, two cup finals losing one narrowly to City and winning the other one.

I would say you will see this summer how much they are going to back him or wait for the next one through the door.

The targets have apparently already been set for a CB, CMF and another CF, to get 3 top quality targets in each of these areas would have a massive affect on the team.

J70

According to the article in the Athletic today, they were close to sacking him after the Palace game and got as far as salary discussions with Tuchel and De Zerbi.

How can Ten Hag feel secure at all in this job? I know its part and parcel of the manager game, but the obvious fact is that if they had found someone they perceived to be better and more affordable, he'd be out. Or maybe that's a positive for him - there IS no better option out there!

NAG1

Quote from: J70 on June 12, 2024, 03:27:48 PMAccording to the article in the Athletic today, they were close to sacking him after the Palace game and got as far as salary discussions with Tuchel and De Zerbi.

How can Ten Hag feel secure at all in this job? I know its part and parcel of the manager game, but the obvious fact is that if they had found someone they perceived to be better and more affordable, he'd be out. Or maybe that's a positive for him - there IS no better option out there!

TBF they had to stop the hire and fie approach of the last few years for a period of some stability, it is just whether ETH can keep the wolves from the door, a big start to the season would be a huge help.

A poor start and he is in bother regardless.

An Watcher

Everyone will know from the first game how things will pan out.  If Onana and Antony play, they are fecked

Armagh18

Quote from: An Watcher on June 12, 2024, 05:18:56 PMEveryone will know from the first game how things will pan out.  If Onana and Antony play, they are fecked
Harsh on him. Mustn't have seen a lot of United lately as he really picked up after a horrible start and costing them the chance of getting out of the CL group

nrico2006

United have been poor at the start of the last few seasons too.

There are actually very few positives from Ten Hags reign in all honesty. Can anybody name one? Playing youngsters can't be counted as United consistently do that.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jeepers Creepers

Jason Wilcox's influence on tactics already seen in The last few games of the season and ETH under pressure to take them onboard. Going to be a lot of fingers in the pie at OT this year so will be interesting to see if that's a good or bad thing.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 12, 2024, 10:05:53 PMJason Wilcox's influence on tactics already seen in The last few games of the season and ETH under pressure to take them onboard. Going to be a lot of fingers in the pie at OT this year so will be interesting to see if that's a good or bad thing.

What tactics? Is he not more focused on younger players?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2024, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 12, 2024, 10:05:53 PMJason Wilcox's influence on tactics already seen in The last few games of the season and ETH under pressure to take them onboard. Going to be a lot of fingers in the pie at OT this year so will be interesting to see if that's a good or bad thing.

What tactics? Is he not more focused on younger players?

The false 9 formation used in the last 3 games was supposed to be on request from Wilcox according to reports.

statto

Linked with Branthwaite and going to make an approach.  They need another centre half but Branthwaite and Martinez are both left sided centre backs which will give an inbalance in the team. 

nrico2006

Quote from: statto on June 14, 2024, 04:04:10 PMLinked with Branthwaite and going to make an approach.  They need another centre half but Branthwaite and Martinez are both left sided centre backs which will give an inbalance in the team. 

Is this a new phenomenon around having a right and left footed centre back. Until the past few years I never heard of it ad a big thing.

imtommygunn

Been around for years though I have tended to hear it talked about more in a back three.

tiempo

Wreck it Ralph was right, and knows what he's at, go figure