Dublin v Tyrone

Started by downredblack, December 13, 2006, 03:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banagusdearg

banagusdearg

I was giving Paddy a warning before you felt the need to provide personal insult for some reason.

Dont worry TYP,  I wasnt giving personal abuse to anyone, and i apologise if you felt i had. I was however just wondering why someone
from Armagh, with such a personal hatred of all things Tyrone, felt the need to work and live in the heart of that county? ??? ???

never kickt a ball

Tyrone shine under Croke Park lights
Saturday, 3 February 2007 21:37
Dublin faded badly under the Croke Park floodlights as a storming second half from Tyrone saw them take a tense 0-11 to 0-10 victory in the historic National League opener.
With Sean Cavanagh and Owen Mulligan starring, the under strength Red Hands came from five points down and take the Division 1A spoils.
It was Dublin league debutant Diarmuid Connolly who struck the first point on a memorable night for the GAA. The 19-year-old scored twice as the Dubs impressively moved into a 0-7 to 0-2 lead at the break.
But Mickey Harte's Tyrone side, who did not score from play until the 38th-minute, turned it around, despite having skipper Ryan McMenamin sent-off in injury-time.They hit six of the game's final seven points, with Mulligan notching 0-4 (3f), to come good in front of league record crowd of 81,678.
Both sides lined out as selected, with Dublin showing three changes to the side that lifted the O'Byrne Cup last week - David Henry, Paul Casey and Alan Brogan were the new inclusions - while Tyrone handed league debuts to Colm Cavanagh, Sean's younger brother, and Colm Donnelly.
With memories of last year's infamous 'Battle of Omagh' still fresh in the mind, both sides were on their best behaviour, particularly with the GAA's hierarchy in close attendance, and whatever niggle was in the game quickly passed off.
A nervy opening saw Conal Keaney drop a free short and the Cavanagh brothers were wayward with a strike each at the Hill 16 end.
Connolly, one of Dublin's brightest prospects this season, angled over a free, four-and-a-half minutes in, to break the deadlock.
Alan Brogan, who gave Dermot Carlin a torrid time in the first half, added a neat finish from play as the Leinster champions made a cohesive start.
Further scores from Connolly, Darren Magee, when a goal looked on, Conal Keaney and David O'Callaghan sprung Paul Caffrey's charges into a 0-6 to 0-2 lead. A misfiring Tyrone only had two frees to show for their efforts in 20 minutes play, scored by Mulligan and Sean Cavanagh.
Corner-back David Henry darted forward to send over an inspirational 25th-minute point, which Pascal McConnell was forced to tip over the bar, and continuing the trend, Colm Cavanagh tallied up Tyrone's sixth wide, two minutes before the break.
Harte sprung Colm McCullagh and Kevin Hughes from the bench for the second half, and the switches had the desired effect as Tyrone quickly moved up through the gears.
Mulligan rapped over a free and Raymond Mulgrew left-footed over from play, whittling Dublin's lead down to three points.
The 40-minute mark saw Caffrey's side take a double scores lead as Keaney sent over a free, after good movement from All-Star Brogan forced Tyrone goalkeeper O'Connell into a good parry.
But then Dublin simply fell off their game, Caffrey replacing Magee at midfield proved to be a costly error as Tyrone dominated centre-field for the remainder, and Conor Gormley, making his first inter-county appearance since breaking his ankle last August, kept Brogan decidedly quiet.
Sean Cavanagh picked off a great point, from 45 yards out, to rally his troops, Connolly swung over a free in reply but that proved to be Dublin's last point for an 18-minute stretch.
Tyrone took over, with defender Carlin jinking his way forward to point, Colm Cavanagh adding another score and substitute McCullagh managed to make it a one-point game - 0-9 to 0-8 - in the 56th-minute.
Dublin's defence, with Niall O'Shea trying manfully to control matters from full-back, gave away too much ball in the closing stages as they allowed the Ulster men to hit them on the counter attack.
Mulligan walloped over a great 61st-minute point, off his right foot, to level and the Tyrone whirlwind continued as Mulgrew brilliantly dummied past Derek Murray to thump over his side's tenth point and from a free won by Colm Cavanagh, Mulligan handed his side a sudden two-point advantage.
A quick attack saw Bonner nab a long-awaited Dublin point as the 12,000-strong Hill particularly sucked the ball through the posts, but there was to be no happy ending for the Dubs, not even a draw as despite McMenamin seeing red for kicking out at Bonner, Tyrone held firm for a smash-and-grab win.

Dublin: S Cluxton; D Henry (0-1), N O'Shea, P Griffin; P Casey, C Moran (capt), G Brennan; D O'Mahony, D Magee (0-1); D Murray, A Brogan (0-1), D Connolly (0-3, 2f); D O'Callaghan (0-1), K Bonner, C Keaney (0-2, 1f).

Subs used: S Ryan for D Magee (49), B Cullen for O'Mahony (54), B Brogan for O'Callaghan (61), C Goggins for Henry (66)

Tyrone: P McConnell; R McMenamin (capt), C McGinley, M McGee; D Harte, D Carlin (0-1), M Penrose; M Murphy, S Cavanagh (0-2, 1f); R Mulgrew (0-2), O Mulligan (0-4, 3f), C Cavanagh (0-1); R Mellon, C Donnelly, E McGinley.

Subs used: C McCullagh (0-1) for Donnelly, K Hughes for Murphy (both half-time), C Gormley for Penrose (46), T McGuigan for E McGinley (66)
Referee: Pat McEnaney (Monaghan)
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0203/tyrone.html

never kickt a ball

Had a great night and enjoyed the drama of the game. A few observations:

- Now two big screens at Croker. One at the corner of David and Hogan
- Brennan made a speech before switch on. It seemed no one was listening.
-The light switch on was like a Mexican wave. Each one lit up individually in sequence starting at the top of Hogan and moving around the ground.  Then the stadium slowly got brighter.
- Only Dublin came out to warm up and approx 10 mins later than the Clár an Óíche stated. All wearing grey tops
- Diarmuid Connelly caught the eye warming up - you know the player that looks class when no one's marking him
- Took a while to find the Gospel Choir and the Saw Doctors who were ensconced at the David/Cusack corner of the field.
- Could have taken or left both the Choir and the Saw Doctors. Wasn't really fussed.
- Dublin came out and went straight for photo
- Dublin then gathered like a pile of iron filings and headed of to the magnetic Dineen Hill 16 - Didn't really capture the imagination but entertaining enough.
-  Dubs must have won the toss to come out first and "reclaim" the Dineen Hill 16 :P
-Tyrone came out and kicked around for a bit before coming over for the photo
- Tyrone forward line missing in first half
- Starting to regret earlier opinion of Connelly he looked good
- Brogan played well first half gave Carlin a torrid time
- Ricey played a large part on his own on right wing and no one would switch it to him
- Seemed occasion getting to some Tyrone players - forwards, Penrose, Murphy
- Dubs didn't score much in last 15 of first half
- Dubs defense played well
- Tyrone a lot of wides
- Streaker got a lukewarm reception from ref who played on
- Half time game a sketch - Soccer has already been played at Croker. Green team won four goals to nil. One player had Ronaldo's step over dummy to a tee and as game went on players showed a greater reluctance to pick the ball up. Referee did well though.
- Big screen focused on the full moon for a while during half time - may be the next destination for the All-Stars?
- Second half changes sealed it for Mickey
- Mulgrew showing something of that potential talked about
- Didn't notice yellow ball after a while
- Dubs very quiet on the hill and in fact difficult to hear from Cusack even when making noise.
- Three minutes added time. The announcer laughed before he announced it as if in disbelief  :D
- Dublin blew a chance for a draw by not attempting a shot from a free
- Is Pillar really worth his salt?
- Davin end the "scoring" end.
- Dublin City Council have a litter campaign going
- Road works around the perimeter of Croker pitch at the end of the game to stop invasion.
- Travelled down in two hours and home in three. By passes are great. Just hope I never need one!   

Bulwinkle

Small screen at the back of the lower hogan as well.

The Real Laoislad

just home from match,really enjoyed the whole experience of the lights etc,Dublin were awful in the second half and Tyrone deserved their win
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tyrones own

Is passedit on the rag or what?
What did you want for the first week in Feb, anyway great win for Tyrone tonight thought they showed a lot of heart in
the 2nd half, i think Hub, Gormley and McCullagh made all the difference in the world when brought in, Brogan wasn't in the game at all
after the switch. A wee bit harsh on Carlin there from some imo, covered a lot of ground,linked well and scored a beautiful point, could well challenge
for Harte's place come summer, still not convinced about C McGinley at #3.
Dublin backs played well but like the rest of the Dublin Team, had a lot of ball played by H/T
Think we'll be in fine shape when we get a few of the big guns back.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

sam03/05

Thought Mulgrew had an excellent game for Tyrone last night. Hardly misplaced a pass, scored two excellent points (the second of which was superb), and covered back and tackled really well. Just looks like a class act.

INDIANA

hats off to tyrone- dublin again completed another England cricketing collapse which has been our trademark since the late 1980's.
I often marvel at tyrone's tactical awareness on the line and how they always get it right. They have such highly adaptable players who can play in a variety of positions they have the scope to change their system where as Dublin players can only play in one or two positions.
Tyrone simply have better players than we have and their full whack i believe will win the All-Ireland this year. People will start having a go at the Dublin management again -but I don't think we have the players. Caffrey's mistake was not selecting his best 15 because Dublin should have gone all-out to win their opening game. Some of the newcomers like Connolly and brennan did some good things with the fade-out in the second half from the whole team was remarkable.
I thought both teams were cynical enough - i don't believe dublin lack steel most of the players would tackle a wall- i just think we're not quite good enough and when this tyrone team are finished they will rank as a pretty special outfit as they have5/6 players who wuld compare with any players from any other era.

paddypastit

Firstly, to correct an impression that was clearly created by my earlier post, I didn't expect last night's game to be anything other than an ordinary first round league game - just making the point that many seem to have gotten carried away with the style around it.

Have seen most of it again now on TV replays and with the benefirt of the second perspective it plays better and better for Tyrone.  As someone said above, Carlin did a huge amount of really good work.  He wasn't able to blot out Brogan, but he did a power of good work.  When you look at the Tyrone wides in the first half and then look at their overall second half display, it was impressive. Add in a full 70 minutes from fully fit Gormley and Hughes, throw in O'Neill and Dooher and it begins to look more compelling. I haven't mentione Brian McGuigan as I don't know if there is a prospect of him playing. If so an 8 - 15 that picks from Hughes, two Cavanaghs, Dooher, McGuigan, Mulgrew, Mulligan, O'Neill, McGinley and Mellon and is pulling as a team would have to be there or there abouts at the year end.  At the back there are still issues.  Agree with the comment about FB. It's never really been sorted for Tyrone has it? Also not convinced by either of the wing men although last night was a bit odd as a base to judge given the dublin tactic of playing the 10 (Murray) as a sweeper in front of the FB line.  Also the keeper needs looking at.  Those kick outs are too easy to 'defend' against.

For Dublin, the secoind showiung isn't terribly encouraging.  Griffen still shines out at the back and Brennan was 'sticky' but nothing too convincing on the pitch apart from himself and Brogan. 

Still nothing was / is ever won in February.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Was expecting Dublin to win that match and had a wee fear Tyrone might get a pasting so have to be happy with the comeback and win. Good victory to get Tyrone started in the league and hopefully the next few weeks will see a number of the key men returning to the starting 15 and make for a stronger all round panel than last season.
As people have said nothing is won in February but still nice to have the 2 points on the board and a wee boost for morale to come back and win from being well behind :)

Canalman

Not too upset about the defeat but am worried about the manner of it. Same old story, bright start and a collapse later on with the opposition getting a run on us.
However, I was impressed with O'Shea, Brogan and a player who is improving alot imo Bonnar.
Still, I hope that the management learn from this defeat although I thought we were rudderless in 2nd half and were embarassingly wiped out at midfield.Declan O'Mahony was poor and I thought taking Darren off was wrong as was the taking off of Dotsie when no ball came in to him in 2nd half.
Particularly annoyed that an attempt for a point was not taken by Keaney at the end and that he took the short option instead.

Still the swarm defence of Tyrone was awesome to watch from the top of Cusack Stand.

Wasn't a huge Tyrone crowd there, maybe 10,000 tops.

tyronie

Overheard in Croker;

One Dublin supporter to another when Tyrone were up by 2 points
"Ah typical Dublin, they are just like Liverpool they can't beat the easy teams........"
                     ::)     ::)      ::)

An Gaeilgoir

There were 4 rugby heads behind me at the match...some of the stuff they came out with was great..... ::) i though the ref had a great game. He was consisent and he was well up with the play. The same old Dublin story,they are jeckyl and hyde. Tryone were solid Kevin Hughes made a difference and changed the game i felt....but it is only early Feb.

Tyrones own

"Still the swarm defence of Tyrone was awesome to watch from the top of Cusack Stand"

Dublin's swarming wasn't too bad either, that is till they ran out of steam and were chasing shadows ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann