snooker world championship

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2007, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Which would be in a snooker context?

An Watcher

Things have come a long way in snooker from Alex Higgins threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot, Kirk Stevens admitting a cocaine addiction, Bill Werbenick downing pints mid-match but maybe it is for the better.  Them were the days though  :)

johnnycool

Quote from: square_ball on April 25, 2023, 09:51:11 AM
Smiling or pulling a face showing emotion is probably a start.

quit yo jibbajabba

well Selby made a face earlier when being introduced, i dont know what else you guys want 😉😃

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2023, 09:49:42 AM
Quote from: square_ball on April 25, 2023, 09:43:28 AM
What does being a character entail? It's becoming a bit of a cliche now regularly said about snooker players.

They're boring c***ts. So the inverse of that I suppose.
Allen hardly in the boring bracket off the table!

square_ball

Quote from: johnnycool on April 25, 2023, 04:40:19 PM
Quote from: square_ball on April 25, 2023, 09:51:11 AM
Smiling or pulling a face showing emotion is probably a start.

Is it only snooker players that need to be 'characters'? It's just cliched nonsense at this stage.

AustinPowers

Quote from: trailer on April 25, 2023, 09:37:43 AM
Snooker is lacking characters. Even O'Sullivan probably the greatest ever, is sooooo unhappy. When I hear him talk I want to jump off a cliff. Like cheer up ffs. Lots of them seem quite unlikeable. Selby is boring. The least said about Allen the better. Shaun Murphy, Judd Trump, Stuart Bingham, Ali Carter, Mark Williams. All utterly forgettable characters.

That's the problem with snooker.

The lack of characters  is an issue yes ,  but for all the really good players out there , nobody  gets me excited enough to watch. 

I absolutely loved watching Jimmy White , nobody came  close .  Hendry was an unbelievable play er,  and I admired his talent , but nobody matched White. Not even Ronnie.  I haven't watched two minutes of play this year.

thewobbler

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 25, 2023, 09:16:05 PM
Snooker is lacking characters. Even O'Sullivan probably the greatest ever, is sooooo unhappy. When I hear him talk I want to jump off a cliff. Like cheer up ffs. Lots of them seem quite unlikeable. Selby is boring. The least said about Allen the better. Shaun Murphy, Judd Trump, Stuart Bingham, Ali Carter, Mark Williams. All utterly forgettable characters.

The lack of characters  is an issue yes ,  but for all the really good players out there , nobody  gets me excited enough to watch. 

I absolutely loved watching Jimmy White , nobody came  close .  Hendry was an unbelievable play er,  and I admired his talent , but nobody matched White. Not even Ronnie.  I haven't watched two minutes of play this year.

Ah no. Ronnie is a level above anyone else who has ever played the game. Full steam Ronnie outplays anyone, and the more gung ho it gets, by a greater margin again

laceer

O'Sullivan the only one worth watching these days. Special talent.

An Watcher

Jesus christ, can't watch any more of Allen.  He's absolutely terrible tonight.  Neither of them 2 deserve to be at the workd championships.  Desperate viewing

AustinPowers

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2023, 09:43:35 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on April 25, 2023, 09:16:05 PM

Ah no. Ronnie is a level above anyone else who has ever played the game. Full steam Ronnie outplays anyone, and the more gung ho it gets, by a greater margin again

White's cue action was  just pure  magic.  The only player  I could  have watched all day and not got bored . Ronnie is a  great player but  he never enthralled me like  White did

ONeill

I'd disagree. Loved the match tonight Allen and yer lad. Brought me back to the 80s and Thornton, Taylor, Griffiths, Bould, Davis etc. Pure tactics and scraping a frame. There'll always be a White or Higgins but the standard is too high now. They wouldn't win a tournament today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jim Bob

Quote from: ONeill on April 25, 2023, 11:39:50 PM
I'd disagree. Loved the match tonight Allen and yer lad. Brought me back to the 80s and Thornton, Taylor, Griffiths, Bould, Davis etc. Pure tactics and scraping a frame. There'll always be a White or Higgins but the standard is too high now. They wouldn't win a tournament today.

Not forgetting Doug Brocagh.   Didn't realise that he died in 2021

ONeill

Ronnie going to have to steady himself here. 10-10.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

quit yo jibbajabba

Jaysus went to the toilet for a jimmy riddle and i missed another frame! 12 10 brecel now....