Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on March 27, 2018, 12:01:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 27, 2018, 10:45:57 AM
The DUP should join the Tory rebels and vote for the Customs Union. Then they can characterise the resulting outcome as administrative and veterinary inspections

Arlene will put up a token protest but then let it dwindle as it could potentially be an economic godsend to the wee six.

An economic godsend would not really suit the DUP as the unaffordability of NI is one of the major bulwarks against a United Ireland and one of the reasons they supported Brexit in the first place. It would be a win for Nationalists and for English taxpayers, as that subsidy might decline.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Has Teresa May convinced the Scots and ye folks up North East that all will be fine on the night.
She'll have got great insight into the border in Bangor FFS!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AQMP

Quote from: Rossfan on March 29, 2018, 03:11:12 PM
Has Teresa May convinced the Scots and ye folks up North East that all will be fine on the night.

She couldn't convince me that night follows day.

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on March 29, 2018, 03:53:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 29, 2018, 03:11:12 PM

She couldn't convince me that night follows day.
The euphoria that greeted her selection in June 2016 is so far away now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Dodds let it slip on Radio Uladh, that the DUP supported Brexit to strengthen the Union (border). They really would see themselves in penury rather than give an inch to nationalism.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2018, 10:34:49 AM
Dodds let it slip on Radio Uladh, that the DUP supported Brexit to strengthen the Union (border). They really would see themselves in penury rather than give an inch to nationalism.

It was hardly the biggest reveal now I think we all knew that . . . I know some Republicans did the same thinking it would bring us closer to Ireland.

We still don't know which one is right yet . . . if NI gets special status and a sea border we will be closer to Ireland.

If they get a hard border then they will have won it's still up in the air!!

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on March 30, 2018, 11:10:07 AM

It was hardly the biggest reveal now I think we all knew that . . . I know some Republicans did the same thinking it would bring us closer to Ireland.

We still don't know which one is right yet . . . if NI gets special status and a sea border we will be closer to Ireland.

The DUP are in this as a sort of double or quits, they get either more border or less border.

However, I don't think the more border outcome is very stable, it might not last beyond the election of Labour in London and it would advance a border poll, which would be a real contest in this scenario if polls are to be believed. So I think the DUP hadn't a good grasp the odds.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ronnie

When do the coal-face Brexit debates kick-in in West Tyrone?  Nominations closed.  I actually thought SF might have tried something radical here..

Ronnie

If anyone has a spare couple of hours there's a QUB critique of the draft withdrawal agreement/great repeal act that's worth reading by Professor Schiek. Delegation to sub-committees, principle of consent and transparency keys issues.   Do smoke-filled rooms even exist anymore?

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/22/may-could-face-revolt-over-customs-union-amid-eu-withdrawal-bill-defeats

Theresa May could face a cabinet revolt on a customs union as peers prepare to inflict more defeats on the government over the EU withdrawal bill in a key week for the future of the UK's relations with Europe.

Amid Brexiter threats of a leadership challenge, the former cabinet minister Nicky Morgan, who chairs the Treasury committee, said party rebels should be careful what they wished for.

"This sabre-rattling is not coming from the section of the party that I represent. It is coming from the pro-Brexit section of the party and is deeply unhelpful," she said.

Government hopes of avoiding a hard border in Ireland either through technological innovation or regulatory alignment have been set back after they were rejected during preliminary negotiations in Brussels.

Q&ABrexit phrasebook: what is the customs union?Show

Read more

That has led to speculation that May is preparing to concede on a customs union, which has been a red line since the prime minister's conference speech in October 2016.

Reports over the weekend suggested a "wargaming" exercise into the consequences of a concession showed that not even leading Brexiters such as Michael Gove, the environment secretary, or Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, would resign.

--

Brexit is very Joe Dolan

Reaching out to touch
But you're  not there
You're not real
Still I believe

https://youtu.be/jkLC2mj5wvE
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

Top Brexit minister over in NI yesterday and nobody told.  The DUP Tory gaining strenght.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-43876878
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AhNowRef

Quote from: screenexile on March 30, 2018, 11:10:07 AM

In reality, the DUP hoping for a hard border is like turkeys voting for christmas ......  they seem oblivious to it but if this happens they are just pushing more & more nats and economic unionists into voting for a UI in a future border poll..

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Insane Bolt

We're all doomed😳