Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 12:17:39 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on April 30, 2018, 11:13:27 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 10:10:39 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 30, 2018, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 11:19:22 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on April 30, 2018, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: Rittal on April 30, 2018, 09:45:10 AM
Quote from: Minder on April 30, 2018, 09:12:09 AM
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-dismiss-zeljko-buvac-quit-14593526
A job for Gerrard maybe?

I'd say Stevie G would like the chance at management. Rangers are in a bad state at the moment but nothing a few big name signings wouldnt change. Gerrard would have ambitions beyond Glasgow and abit of success there could be used as an entry to the Premiership

Yeah, numerous titles and some CL success in Scotland really landed Lennon a plum PL job. No one in England rates Scottish league success. He'll be getting his next job because he's Steven Gerrard and not because he was successful at Rangers.

Souness got the Liverpool job after his spell at Rangers. Primarily I suspect because he was an Anfield old boy but having a bit of success up North  helped justify the appointment.
The same could happen with Gerrard. Never underestimate the stupidity of the people at the top.
Steve McClaren was appointed English manager on the strenght of a League Cup win with Boro

The comparitive quaility of Scottish football to English football has collapsed in the intervening years. Where's the last Celtic manager coaching now? Is Lennon even coaching at all these days?

You'll be asking us was he not shot in NY in the 1980s next....

You're proving my point.

Delia, as it happens, went from coaching Celtic to back to back SPL titles to managing a team in the Norwegian league.

I suspect you knew where Lennon was. Easy for you to slag Scottish football when you have no emotional investment. The standard is poor compared with top teams in England but beyond that the gulf isn't as great as you may think. Unfortunately for the EPL, it's the same managerial merry go round. Hodgson, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew all continuing to get jobs despite most being dinosaurs.

It's not slagging when it's objectively true. I have no love nor hatred for Scottish football but it's row big teams playing with a bunch of minnows, and the gap between those two and the big European teams has widened significantly in the last decade even. The reality is for Celtic or Rangers to reach their potential as big clubs they need to get into the English football league.

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on May 01, 2018, 12:22:06 PM
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-dismiss-zeljko-buvac-quit-14593526
Buvac will be the new Arsenal manager according to some reports.
That might explain it, although not sure I'd believe it quite yet, I'd have thought they'd go for someone with a more proven management track record.

Still very strange to lose such a supposed important cog, who's been Klopp's right hand man for so long, at a crucial part of the season.

Armamike

Whatever the reason, it's safe to assume it's quite major, for him to leave at this point?
That's just, like your opinion man.

Walter Cronc

How much influence do these number 2's really have though?

Was Clemence not touted as the next big thing, mind you he wasn't working with much at Swansea.

Surely a huge element of Liverpools play is Klopps personality driving the players to new heights?

It would be a very Arsenal appointment mind you.

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 01, 2018, 02:42:15 PM
How much influence do these number 2's really have though?

Was Clemence not touted as the next big thing, mind you he wasn't working with much at Swansea.

Surely a huge element of Liverpools play is Klopps personality driving the players to new heights?

It would be a very Arsenal appointment mind you.

He's been his #2 for years and was apparently key to developing Klopp's attack but don't defend approach to football so I'd say he was pretty damn important..

The idea that a manager's personality can carry a team in 2018 is silly too. If all you can do is smile and chest pump you're going to be found out by your players soon enough. Tactics win trophies.

ned

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 02:03:41 PM
Quote from: ned on May 01, 2018, 01:46:01 PM
A job for Gerrard maybe?

I'd say Stevie G would like the chance at management. Rangers are in a bad state at the moment but nothing a few big name signings wouldnt change. Gerrard would have ambitions beyond Glasgow and abit of success there could be used as an entry to the Premiership

Yeah, numerous titles and some CL success in Scotland really landed Lennon a plum PL job. No one in England rates Scottish league success. He'll be getting his next job because he's Steven Gerrard and not because he was successful at Rangers.

Souness got the Liverpool job after his spell at Rangers. Primarily I suspect because he was an Anfield old boy but having a bit of success up North  helped justify the appointment.
The same could happen with Gerrard. Never underestimate the stupidity of the people at the top.
Steve McClaren was appointed English manager on the strenght of a League Cup win with Boro

The comparitive quaility of Scottish football to English football has collapsed in the intervening years. Where's the last Celtic manager coaching now? Is Lennon even coaching at all these days?

You're proving my point.

Delia, as it happens, went from coaching Celtic to back to back SPL titles to managing a team in the Norwegian league.

I suspect you knew where Lennon was. Easy for you to slag Scottish football when you have no emotional investment. The standard is poor compared with top teams in England but beyond that the gulf isn't as great as you may think. Unfortunately for the EPL, it's the same managerial merry go round. Hodgson, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew all continuing to get jobs despite most being dinosaurs.

It's not slagging when it's objectively true. I have no love nor hatred for Scottish football but it's row big teams playing with a bunch of minnows, and the gap between those two and the big European teams has widened significantly in the last decade even. The reality is for Celtic or Rangers to reach their potential as big clubs they need to get into the English football league.

This isn't the thread for that debate BUT look at England, France, Spain and Germany. How many different teams have won those league's recently? The gap between the top ten to 12 European teams and the rest is substantial.
Anyway, I hope Liverpool win the CL. Most exciting team to watch and couldn't stand Real or Bayern winning.

johnnycool

Quote from: Armamike on May 01, 2018, 02:33:47 PM
Whatever the reason, it's safe to assume it's quite major, for him to leave at this point?

Strange one.

Is there any reason that he couldn't have stayed on with Liverpool until the end of the season unless someone potentially thought there would be a conflict of interests if he was aware of Liverpools transfer targets!

I'd say Klopp could have done without this just now.

Syferus

Quote from: ned on May 01, 2018, 03:24:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2018, 02:03:41 PM
Quote from: ned on May 01, 2018, 01:46:01 PM
A job for Gerrard maybe?

You're proving my point.

This isn't the thread for that debate BUT look at England, France, Spain and Germany. How many different teams have won those league's recently? The gap between the top ten to 12 European teams and the rest is substantial.
Anyway, I hope Liverpool win the CL. Most exciting team to watch and couldn't stand Real or Bayern winning.

But a gap now exists between Malmo and Celtic, let alone Stroke and Celtic. That's their problem.

supersub

Quote from: johnnycool on May 01, 2018, 03:55:36 PM
Quote from: Armamike on May 01, 2018, 02:33:47 PM

Strange one.

Is there any reason that he couldn't have stayed on with Liverpool until the end of the season unless someone potentially thought there would be a conflict of interests if he was aware of Liverpools transfer targets!

I'd say Klopp could have done without this just now.

He may be sick, one of his family may be sick, who knows. A lot more to life than football.

As for Stevie G, good luck to him. Disagree with people saying he should stick and learn under Klopp. He could have completely different ideas to Klopp as far as managing is concerned. Klopp is the here and now, Gerrard has his career to think of. Fair play to him.

gawa316

Avondhu star

Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Boycey

Quote from: gawa316 on May 02, 2018, 07:02:00 AM
Quote from: Boycey on May 01, 2018, 09:23:39 PM
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/webcam/italia/lazio/roma/campo-de-fiori.html

Liverpool fans in good spirits

What was happening here? Just clicked on it and it's like a Thursday mart!

Tis a fruit and veg market by day but when that's cleared away it's a lively bar/restaurant area in the evenings. You could hear Liverpool fans having a right singsong last night..

heganboy

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 02, 2018, 07:34:42 AM

Giro day probably

Classic, rolling in the aisles, keep them coming, you're on a roll. Unemployed scouser gag, genius in it's unique new commentary on a socio economic level, and witty banter on another, love it...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity