Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: whitey on March 29, 2023, 11:27:39 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 29, 2023, 09:16:26 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 28, 2023, 07:46:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 28, 2023, 01:37:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 28, 2023, 01:28:46 PM
If you want to publicize your opinions, you need to be prepared to defend them. That's the way free speech works. Obviously she was not prepared or able to defend herself. Next time hopefully she'll be smarter about what she says or tweets.

She has a blue collar job and left school at 14

She's a boxer

She's not some privately educated and  polished politician with an army of handlers and PR people to prep her for an interview like this

I'm all for holding her accountable for her views, but this is punching down of the highest order IMO

She literally had a PR handler. Literally

I watched that interview myself and if anything the interviewer gave her ample opportunity to clarify her views on immigration considering she was promoting a Spar community and diversity project, she didn't backtrack on her October tweet so you have to assume she still holds those views whether she's taken a load of blows to the head or not..

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd1yjelekggo.amp

"Addressing Monday's interview, she said she was "not prepared for a question unrelated to my sport" and had been "caught off guard"."

Which would make sense if she wasn't sitting there in a sponsors jumper to talk about her new ambassador job for said sponsor.

whitey

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 29, 2023, 11:48:54 AM
If you want to publicize your opinions, you need to be prepared to defend them. That's the way free speech works. Obviously she was not prepared or able to defend herself. Next time hopefully she'll be smarter about what she says or tweets.

She's a boxer

She's not some privately educated and  polished politician with an army of handlers and PR people to prep her for an interview like this

I'm all for holding her accountable for her views, but this is punching down of the highest order IMO

I watched that interview myself and if anything the interviewer gave her ample opportunity to clarify her views on immigration considering she was promoting a Spar community and diversity project, she didn't backtrack on her October tweet so you have to assume she still holds those views whether she's taken a load of blows to the head or not..

"Addressing Monday's interview, she said she was "not prepared for a question unrelated to my sport" and had been "caught off guard"."

Which would make sense if she wasn't sitting there in a sponsors jumper to talk about her new ambassador job for said sponsor.

So you're calling her a liar now too?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: whitey on March 29, 2023, 12:20:17 PM

She's a boxer

No. More a mix of willfully ill prepared and arrogant.

johnnycool

She's a boxer

Presenter Shane Hannon asked Harrington to clarify her "strongly held views on immigration".

She failed to do so, which being a brand ambassador for Spars "community, inclusion and diversity" project would be pretty important, no?

nrico2006

She has came across very poorly. The interview was always going to focus more on the diversity element than sport, given what this all stems from her ambassador selection. Whoever made that call really needs to be given the boot.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Franko

Quote from: whitey on March 29, 2023, 12:20:17 PM

She's a boxer

;D Throw the shovel out man

CK_Redhand

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 29, 2023, 10:53:45 AM
Why is everyone so angry these days
The silent majority go about their daily lives without too much anger. What we see on social media etc. is the .1% who want to be heard loudest.

JoG2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on March 29, 2023, 01:40:31 PM
The silent majority go about their daily lives without too much anger. What we see on social media etc. is the .1% who want to be heard loudest.

Agree with that, there's a few on here who must be at very little else. Who owns Burdizzo? Always weighs in on the contentious issues.

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 29, 2023, 01:14:34 PM
She has came across very poorly. The interview was always going to focus more on the diversity element than sport, given what this all stems from her ambassador selection. Whoever made that call really needs to be given the boot.

Suspect Spar were blissfully unaware that she might have some beliefs or opinions that don't line up with their diversity message in the first place. They simply saw working class, inner city, gay national hero. Everything else likely then stems from that.

clarshack

Hannon's tweets are disgusting and a lot more 'Far Right' than what Kellie Harrington has tweeted, and it seems he has been busy deleting the evidence today.

Louther

Quote from: CK_Redhand on March 29, 2023, 01:40:31 PM

Absolutely this. Some people think that the world revolves around social media, others get on with living. It's a an angry place but lot of media take their lead from it and it expands beyond its own parameters e.g. Daily Mail "viewers outraged over XYZ" which is based around 6/7 tweets about a joke made on TV.

I don't even no what "woke" is but it's casually thrown at everything. Same as been in right or on left. Everything is labelled.

Great example today - Paul O'Garfy died today, Amanda Holden on her radio show paid tribute to him but felt the need to add "he didn't have a woke bone in his body". The MP in UK Rabb paid tribute to him in parliament but felt the need to add that we comedians should be allowed to be anti-woke or something.

imtommygunn

Bang on louther.

Everything is thrown in a bucket and if you hold one opinion you're left or you're right or you're woke or you're anti-woke. All of these terms have lost their meanings and the people using them don't even know what they mean.

It's also an easy way to get out of something you don't have an argument over as well - just throw things in a bucket and say you're one of them.

Franko

Quote from: clarshack on March 29, 2023, 02:16:23 PM
Hannon's tweets are disgusting and a lot more 'Far Right' than what Kellie Harrington has tweeted, and it seems he has been busy deleting the evidence today.

Assuming this is right, it's a good job for Spar that Hannon isn't diversity and inclusion champion.

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2023, 03:12:14 PM
Bang on louther.

Everything is thrown in a bucket and if you hold one opinion you're left or you're right or you're woke or you're anti-woke. All of these terms have lost their meanings and the people using them don't even know what they mean.

It's also an easy way to get out of something you don't have an argument over as well - just throw things in a bucket and say you're one of them.

Harrington is a prime and topical example of this - some (yes, me) may find her apparent views on immigration extremely distasteful and horribly right wing, whilst having no quarrel with her belief that trans athletes should not be allowed participate in female sport. Does the wokeness cancel the anti-wokeness? Am I neutrally woke?

Many people throw out accusations at others of being leftie or rightie without even understanding what it means. Is, say, refusing to accept the statement that trans women are women particularly right wing?

That said, there are of course simply many idiots and bigots, including on this board, who preach and recycle right wing (and possibly some left wing ones as well) viewpoints fed to them by gutter "journalism" from the likes of Gript. Calling that out is not lumping everyone in the same bucket.

imtommygunn

Yeah I would agree with that gallsman.