Who’s Been Cancelled??

Started by screenexile, June 20, 2020, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

If you want to publicize your opinions, you need to be prepared to defend them. That's the way free speech works. Obviously she was not prepared or able to defend herself. Next time hopefully she'll be smarter about what she says or tweets.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 28, 2023, 01:28:46 PM
If you want to publicize your opinions, you need to be prepared to defend them. That's the way free speech works. Obviously she was not prepared or able to defend herself. Next time hopefully she'll be smarter about what she says or tweets.

She has a blue collar job and left school at 14

She's a boxer

She's not some privately educated and  polished politician with an army of handlers and PR people to prep her for an interview like this

I'm all for holding her accountable for her views, but this is punching down of the highest order IMO

gallsman

Quote from: whitey on March 28, 2023, 01:37:57 PM

She's a boxer

She's not some privately educated and  polished politician with an army of handlers and PR people to prep her for an interview like this

I'm all for holding her accountable for her views, but this is punching down of the highest order IMO

She's working class and uneducated, therefore don't call out racism? Only privately educated politicians aren't racists?

She's a boxer...so?

Franko

She's a boxer

But you're not all for it

You're citing her education and her 'job' as the reasons why

If she's sitting there with her Spar jumper on, being interviewed as their 'diversity' champion, then she should have been prepared and able to answer questions on one of the main drivers of diversity in Irish society

*To add - ESPECIALLY as it was her who put her views on the matter out there in the first place

I could have a certain amount of sympathy for your point if she'd never mentioned immigration and he'd just asked her a cold question about the matter

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on March 28, 2023, 02:02:11 PM

She's a boxer

She's working class and uneducated, therefore don't call out racism? Only privately educated politicians aren't racists?

She's a boxer...so?

Yes

Both relevant

She wouldn't have the education or work-life experience to wangle her way out of a tricky interview. She's a cleaner in a hospital who left school without qualifications at 14. That's not a judgement on her character....it's a statement of fact.

Do you think the captain of the debate team at Trinity who went to Gonzaga (hypothetical student) would get caught out in an interview like that?   I highly doubt it

whitey

Quote from: Franko on March 28, 2023, 02:04:32 PM

She's a boxer

If she's sitting there with her Spar jumper on, being interviewed as their 'diversity' champion, then she should have been prepared and able to answer questions on one of the main drivers of diversity in Irish society

*To add - ESPECIALLY as it was her who put her views on the matter out there in the first place

I could have a certain amount of sympathy for your point if she'd never mentioned immigration and he'd just asked her a cold question about the matter

Did she know that was one of the topics to be discussed or was she surprised by the question

"Hey Kelley, this is the producer for the show. We're delighted to have you on next week. Just wanted to let you know that one topic we will address will be that tweet you sent out last year. I want you to have an opportunity to explain it but didn't want to blindside you "-did that happen?

If it didn't it's an ambush

trailer

Quote from: whitey on March 28, 2023, 02:19:39 PM

She's a boxer

Did she know that was one of the topics to be discussed or was she surprised by the question

"Hey Kelley, this is the producer for the show. We're delighted to have you on next week. Just wanted to let you know that one topic we will address will be that tweet you sent out last year. I want you to have an opportunity to explain it but didn't want to blindside you "-did that happen?

Imagine getting a full brief from an interviewer before the interview. If that's how you expect to hold ppl to account then God help you.

Franko

She's a boxer

"Hey Kelley, this is the producer for the show. We're delighted to have you on next week. Just wanted to let you know that one topic we will address will be that tweet you sent out last week. I want you to have an opportunity to explain it but didn't want to blindside you "-did that happen?

The goalposts have moved

Her education and sporting affiliations are not the issue

It now WOULD have been OK (despite these issues) if they'd told her in advance?

The interview was clearly not about boxing, it was a puff piece about the Spar diversity role

Hence the presence of the PR mandarin

I'd contend that, given this context, it was an entirely reasonable line of questioning

And it was entirely reasonable that she (or at least the PR people) should have expected it to come up

whitey

Quote from: trailer on March 28, 2023, 02:25:17 PM

She's a boxer

Imagine getting a full brief from an interviewer before the interview. If that's how you expect to hold ppl to account then God help you.

Happens all the time in all types of settings

But you actually answered my question. Was she going on the show to be "held to account" or was she going on the show to discuss her preparation  for the Olympics or some other topic

Has this interviewer held  every other guest he's had on "to account" for things they said or did?

Franko

Quote from: whitey on March 28, 2023, 02:30:58 PM

She's a boxer

But you actually answered my question. Was she going on the show to be "held to account" or was she going on the show to discuss her preparation  for the Olympics or some other topic

Has this interviewer held  every other guest he's had on "to account" for things they said or did?

Possibly not, but context is key here - and in this case the context was that she was being interviewed as a corporate ambassador for diversity

So it's perfectly legitimate for the interviewer to bring up previous public utterances which would be related to this topic

trailer

She's a boxer

OTB gave McCarron and Armstrong a tough time. I don't listen to it religiously but they certainly don't go easy on their guests.
Harrington was on to speak about diversity. Stands to sense she'd be asked about it.

yellowcard

Just watched the interview and Hannon was just doing his job, there are enough lapdogs working in the media we certainly don't need any more. Kelly Harrington should have seen it as a great opportunity to get her viewpoint across but instead she sounded evasive and has now made it a much bigger issue than it needed to be. If she is anti immigration then she should have at least had the courage of her convictions to back up her views. 

whitey

Quote from: trailer on March 28, 2023, 04:34:07 PM

She's a boxer

OTB gave McCarron and Armstrong a tough time. I don't listen to it religiously but they certainly don't go easy on their guests.
Harrington was on to speak about diversity. Stands to sense she'd be asked about it.

That's fair enough.....I didn't know that. I thought it was just a regular interview

I put the blame then on her sponsors who didn't prepare her for the interview

gallsman

Quote from: whitey on March 28, 2023, 05:03:57 PM

That's fair enough.....I didn't know that. I thought it was just a regular interview

I put the blame then on her sponsors who didn't prepare her for the interview

Maybe you should bother your hole watching it or even reading the thread here you're commenting on where it was mentioned on multiple occasions.

imtommygunn