?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

6th sam

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 15, 2021, 10:11:52 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 15, 2021, 10:00:45 AM
So because Celtic didn't apologise years ago they shouldn't do so now?

This is about Catholic Church style crisis managment and money - Celtic and Rangers don't want to pay compensation to victims

Moral bankruptcy

I will give you the benefit of the doubt here but at no stage did I say Celtic shouldn't apologise. Of course they should. However, it may well be seen as hollow. The should have apologised years ago. Now. Go and have some family time. You need that more than you need to be on this forum

Wouldn't it be  great for a change , to see an institution apologise unreservedly and prove it by pro-actively ensuring that the process to support and compensate victims is speedy and comprehensive. Anything short of that is worse than hollow, it's financially driven self-protection, and re-traumatises victims

tonto1888

Quote from: 6th sam on February 15, 2021, 11:07:09 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 15, 2021, 10:11:52 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 15, 2021, 10:00:45 AM
So because Celtic didn't apologise years ago they shouldn't do so now?

This is about Catholic Church style crisis managment and money - Celtic and Rangers don't want to pay compensation to victims

Moral bankruptcy

I will give you the benefit of the doubt here but at no stage did I say Celtic shouldn't apologise. Of course they should. However, it may well be seen as hollow. The should have apologised years ago. Now. Go and have some family time. You need that more than you need to be on this forum

Wouldn't it be  great for a change , to see an institution apologise unreservedly and prove it by pro-actively ensuring that the process to support and compensate victims is speedy and comprehensive. Anything short of that is worse than hollow, it's financially driven self-protection, and re-traumatises victims

Fully agree mate. I should have made my earlier post clearer and said Celtic should apologise. I just think it would come across to the victims as hollow. They should stil apologise tho. They should pay compensation. There's no ifs buts or maybes about that. They should ensure that something like this will never happen again. As I have repeatedly said, this is a dark stain on Celtics history and one which will never go away. And not should it.
It's sad to see people try to use this for some personal moral high ground though.

Main Street

Quote from: dublin7 on February 14, 2021, 10:54:45 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 14, 2021, 10:31:31 PM
Is that in the report? Well then it begs the question why have you or Sid not brought this up before because that's been known for a long time.
I will ask again have you posted about this in the rangers thread? Or are you being selective in which victims you care about?

I didn't even know about the report until Sid mentioned it. Then I did do a google search and seen how bad it was. Celtic did try to deny responsibility but the report shatters that defence. Does no one think that's worth mentioning?

To be fair to Celtic they have made a statement on it since the report was released even if its f**k all use to the victims. I've no idea if Rangers have said anything on it, but I didn't see any statement in the reports online.

This isn't a specific attack on Celtic. Frankly Scottish football from the very top down comes out of it badly and from what I've now read from people who do know what they're talking about the report could have been alot harsher on the clubs/SFA.

I would have thought though someone would have said something about it on here.
The historic sex abuse at the Celtic Boys club  was discussed here last March 2020 at the time of a lengthy Ch 4 segment about the abuse and interviews with the abused. The abuse evidence and testimony were known and Celtic's wringing of hands and dilly dallying was criticised as being complicit and not much different to the Catholic Church's intitutional criminal guilt.
I don't remember you being a part of that discussion.

dublin7

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2021, 12:41:10 PM
Is that in the report? Well then it begs the question why have you or Sid not brought this up before because that's been known for a long time.
I will ask again have you posted about this in the rangers thread? Or are you being selective in which victims you care about?

I didn't even know about the report until Sid mentioned it. Then I did do a google search and seen how bad it was. Celtic did try to deny responsibility but the report shatters that defence. Does no one think that's worth mentioning?

To be fair to Celtic they have made a statement on it since the report was released even if its f**k all use to the victims. I've no idea if Rangers have said anything on it, but I didn't see any statement in the reports online.

This isn't a specific attack on Celtic. Frankly Scottish football from the very top down comes out of it badly and from what I've now read from people who do know what they're talking about the report could have been alot harsher on the clubs/SFA.

The historic sex abuse at the Celtic Boys club  was discussed here last March 2020 at the time of a lengthy Ch 4 segment about the abuse and interviews with the abused. The abuse evidence and testimony were known and Celtic's wringing of hands and dilly dallying was criticised as being complicit and not much different to the Catholic Church's intitutional criminal guilt.

If you look at my 1st post on this I pointed out I didn't know about the report. I wouldn't have seen it only sid pointed it out. It is shcoking though that the team manager and a board member turned a blind eye to what was going on.

In terms of the catholic church I read the entire Ferns report in relation to what went on in Wexford as I know someone who was affected by it and it is equally shocking. They like Celtic have only offered meaningless mickey mouse apologies and compensation is something individuals have to fight for in the courts with the clubs/church rather than either organisation stepping up and doing the right thing.

Applesisapples

On a lighter note good to see Neil has the team back on the straight and narrow, building back better! :)

JimStynes

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 15, 2021, 01:10:06 PM
On a lighter note good to see Neil has the team back on the straight and narrow, building back better! :)

Just in time with 9 games left and Rangers 18 points clear.

sid waddell

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 15, 2021, 11:48:41 AM

It's sad to see people try to use this for some personal moral high ground though.
See again, you're not getting it, I'd fully expect that from the other moron who has nothing else to do in his life but spam this board (and another board he spams even more than this one), but what excuse do you have for this line

This is the sort of line used by organisations and their mouthpieces to crush dissent

It has no other purpose

It's a Putinist propaganda style line, see another spam thread just started for a demonstration of how this style of propaganda works

Shoot the messenger, always shoot the messenger, and deflect away from the actual issue

This style of propaganda is a cancer on public discourse and is designed to be so, it is designed to protect the powerful

Main Street

Quote from: dublin7 on February 15, 2021, 01:07:12 PM

If you look at my 1st post on this I pointed out I didn't know about the report. I wouldn't have seen it only sid pointed it out. It is shcoking though that the team manager and a board member turned a blind eye to what was going on.

In terms of the catholic church I read the entire Ferns report in relation to what went on in Wexford as I know someone who was affected by it and it is equally shocking. They like Celtic have only offered meaningless mickey mouse apologies and compensation is something individuals have to fight for in the courts with the clubs/church rather than either organisation stepping up and doing the right thing.
I read you post and so what, now you have just found out about the Celtic fc sex abuse, are suitably shocked and outraged and readily mount your ever accessable  high horse . This topic has been discussed before on this thread, outrage at Celtic fc has already been expressed. The official report is finished and now we will see what transpires.
It appears that many like you only become a bit aware of a sex abuse issue when the report is concluded.

And good for you that you finally got yourself informed about some aspects of  child sex abuse in Ireland  from the Ferns report.  Perhaps  you're a Johnnie come lately to this sex abuse phenonomen in Ireland. Did you not have any knowledge of sex abuse  in Dublin, in the GAA clubs, schools, boy scouts? Child sex abuse was so rampant that it would be  an impossibility not to be aware  of it unless you decided upon a position of willful denial.

Does it take reading a sex abuse report before you become a small bit aware of sex abuse and become loudly outraged? I don't remember you ever posting in the clerical abuse thread which must be close to 200 pages.  Why don't you go and read through that thread and get a bit informed about the general GAA bord opinion on the child sex abuse in Ireland before you start mouthing off on this thread?

sid waddell

It seems the general opinion of child sex abuse with some posters is: it depends where it happened

If it happened at an institution that is close to some poster's heart, such as, say, a football club they support, the default reaction is to try and ascribe a bad faith motive to any other poster who references it

The shoot the messenger tactic

Any poster who does that has a serious problem of bad faith, and by extension a serious problem as regards their attitude to child sex abuse

At least four posters here are now guilty of that

dublin7

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2021, 04:16:06 PM

I read you post and so what, now you have just found out about the Celtic fc sex abuse, are suitably shocked and outraged and readily mount your ever accessable  high horse . This topic has been discussed before on this thread, outrage at Celtic fc has already been expressed. The official report is finished and now we will see what transpires.
It appears that many like you only become a bit aware of a sex abuse issue when the report is concluded.

And good for you that you finally got yourself informed about some aspects of  child sex abuse in Ireland  from the Ferns report.  Perhaps  you're a Johnnie come lately to this sex abuse phenonomen in Ireland. Did you not have any knowledge of sex abuse  in Dublin, in the GAA clubs, schools, boy scouts? Child sex abuse was so rampant that it would be  an impossibility not to be aware  of it unless you decided upon a position of willful denial.

Does it take reading a sex abuse report before you become a small bit aware of sex abuse and become loudly outraged? I don't remember you ever posting in the clerical abuse thread which must be close to 200 pages.  Why don't you go and read through that thread and get a bit informed about the general GAA bord opinion on the child sex abuse in Ireland before you start mouthing off on this thread?

If you don't know about something how can you be outraged or feel any emotion about it? My bad.

Angelo

Quote from: Main Street on February 15, 2021, 04:16:06 PM

It's typical of the sort of low-level classless trolling dublin7 engages in.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on February 15, 2021, 04:22:43 PM
It seems the general opinion of child sex abuse with some posters is: it depends where it happened

If it happened at an institution that is close to some poster's heart, such as, say, a football club they support, the default reaction is to try and ascribe a bad faith motive to any other poster who references it

Any poster who does that has a serious problem of bad faith, and by extension a serious problem as regards their attitude to child sex abuse

Amazing how we are the bad guys in all this, not Celtic FC, the SFA or anybody else. Just us.   

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on February 15, 2021, 04:55:13 PM

Amazing how we are the bad guys in all this, not Celtic FC, the SFA or anybody else. Just us.

It's not amazing, when people callously and cynically try and use child abuse victims as a vehicle for them to troll, score points and settle personal agendas of the internet then clearly they are very sad people.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on February 15, 2021, 03:57:11 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 15, 2021, 11:48:41 AM

See again, you're not getting it, I'd fully expect that from the other moron who has nothing else to do in his life but spam this board (and another board he spams even more than this one), but what excuse do you have for this line

This is the sort of line used by organisations and their mouthpieces to crush dissent

It has no other purpose

It's a Putinist propaganda style line, see another spam thread just started for a demonstration of how this style of propaganda works

Shoot the messenger, always shoot the messenger, and deflect away from the actual issue

This style of propaganda is a cancer on public discourse and is designed to be so, it is designed to protect the powerful

Have you ever read back what you have written before you hit post? Seriously? Where have I deflected form the actual issue? I'm not shooting the messenger either. I am questioning his reasons for posting.
Propaganda. Grow up.
And for what it's worth, the post you quoted was not aimed at you in particular. Have a look at twitter and other social media forms. Fans of all clubs using this as a point scoring issue. Maybe you felt guilty when you read my post tho

tonto1888

Oh please name them